Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Tanabe Medalion Touring or Apexi WSII

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 PM
C_O
Tanabe Medalion Touring or Apexi WSII

hey guys, IIRC, this will be my very first thread on fit freak! woot-woot! that aside, i've found great reviews about the tanabe medalion touring (TMT) axle-back but only a short blurb about the world sport II (wsII) for the fit. can anyone shoot us a short review about the WSII for our cars?

i have a friend with the wsII on his 99' civic w/b16 swap (i/h/e), and it had a slight "tin-can" buzz to it; very unattractive, especially at WOT. however, i've heard the wsII on a 93' civic-hb w/d16 (i/h/e), at WOT, w/out the tin-can buzz; sound was not too loud and had a deep-throaty sound to it similar to the thermal exhaust i had on my cr-x... me likey

the price difference between the two isn't much of a concern, i'm more concerned about the sound. tanabe rates their exhaust under 93db (IIRC), but i can't seem to find anything for the wsII.

looks are pretty similar; call me a ricer but i like the canister look; i find the TMT a bit more attractive because the canister portion isn't as big as the wsII.

last issue (sorry, i've turned this post into a short-story), can anyone chime in on the sound of either exhaust after a good amount of miles have been put on them?

thanks in advance! next time i decide to write this much, i'll remember to bring popcorn

-Charlie

Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I use TMT and absolutely love it. It's really quiet and only heard when you take off. Otherwise I don't really notice it inside the car. The look is subtle so I don't get a bunch of people trying to drag race me.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned
I'm holding out for Greddy to make an SP2 for the Fit. I had one on my cb7 and it was the best looking/sounding exhaust I've seen to date

Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 AM
C_O
i wasn't expecting to see any responses today; especially with the NSX exhaust thread directly above mine

i just listened to a few clips of the greddy sp2 exhaust on youtube. it looks great! but, i'd have to hear it in person because most home-vid cameras hardly come close to the actual sound.

oh, in'case i hadn't made it clear enough in my original post, i'm looking to stay under 93db if at all possible. I'm going to hit a few meets to see if i can find any similar displacement cars w/an sp2. BTW, any news on the development of one for the fit? i can probably wait a few more months if it should be out soon

i would appreciate more input. thanks, again guys!

-Charlie

Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned
heres the sp2 on my accord, this is exactly what it sounded like in person, however I haven't heard any news on whether or not they will be producing for the Fit.

It was a slightly cold day to explain the high idle, but the smoke, just a dying motor

Old 02-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by BlueCell
I use TMT and absolutely love it. It's really quiet and only heard when you take off. Otherwise I don't really notice it inside the car. The look is subtle so I don't get a bunch of people trying to drag race me.
whats the full name of your exhaust?
cos i also like those quiet ones..sounds like
high end cars' exhaust hehe
thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM
C_O
oreo,
tanabe touring medalion: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust System 07+ FIT - JHPUSA.COM Serving JDM Since 1999

if you log-in to youtube you can find a few sound clips: idle, reving, & take-off. it's hardly noticeable once the intake/engine start screaming.

-Charlie

Old 02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
go with the apexi ws2.

i really hate the look of the touring medallion. kinda looks like a muffler with a added dildo to it. (no offense to those who own it)

Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
The Apexi is a chambered muffler, and the tanabe is packed muffler, straight thru design. So the apexi is a little louder, and fits better, it isn't
slanted like the tanabe muffler, its tucked in.
But has some strange restriction in the muffler inlet, so its a 2" pipe,
with a ring at the muffler inlet, causing a restriction...Dont know why.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by C_O
oreo,
tanabe touring medalion: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust System 07+ FIT - JHPUSA.COM Serving JDM Since 1999

if you log-in to youtube you can find a few sound clips: idle, reving, & take-off. it's hardly noticeable once the intake/engine start screaming.

-Charlie
thanks charlie..
ima newbie hehe

but guys, i really like honda fit but
its a bit girlish right?
my bro is already making fun of me even before i get the car..
he claims it to be a girls car.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by oreo_rr
thanks charlie..
ima newbie hehe

but guys, i really like honda fit but
its a bit girlish right?
my bro is already making fun of me even before i get the car..
he claims it to be a girls car.
What's he drive? Maybe you could turn it around on him. I don't find my Fit girly at all. Especially with gas over $3 a gallon in CA. You could also link him all the car magazine reviews that rave about how the Fit is an amazing car for the money.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
im not gonna lie dude. this car is a CHICK magnet! meh, girl car or guy car.....this car gets girls Jockin. forget about your brother...you will see, he will be jealous once you start driving around.

tc are girl cars. and you see a lot of dudes driving them.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 PM
oh is it really a chick magnet??
i know girls love to have this car
i didnt know that they like guys driving this car
normally girls like guys driving honda civic here in my country= malaysia

Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
i've heard both in person. i personally would go wit the apexi

Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 AM
C_O
amen on the chick magnet! i usually get waves from other chicks driving fits (can't tell if they're just enthusiasts or not, it feels better to think they're not ).

i just peeped into the T1R VIP exhaust and think i'm on the fence (umm, a 3-sided fence?) about which company takes my money. t1r VIP is about the same price as the TMT except i think the VIP is a bit more handsome; IIRC, the thermal exhaust on my crx was also a chambered muffler, not packed (someone chime in & confirm?) so the wsII is still very intriguing.

db levels of the exhaust are still important to me but the deciding factor will be the sound output; performance is also a major player, except i'm only shopping for an axle-back so big hp numbers aren't expected. i don't want a coffee-can strapped to the back of my car, nor do i want to set off every car alarm down the street. geez, i wish i could just walk into one automotive shop & rig each exhaust onto my car, get first hand experience, then give them my money. only in a perfect world, i suppose.

i really, really appreciate everyone's input! fitfreak is f'rikn awesome!

-Charlie

Old 02-19-2008, 02:16 AM
is ANYBODY running the ws2? i'm very interested in it.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueCell
Did yours not come polished? Mine did! Maybe yours is just dirty. I absolutely love the look of my TMT. I havent put it on yet but I plan on taking pics.

Also, do any of you know how I can raise the exhaust even if the OEM lips is in the way? One way i'm planning to raise the exhaust is to get shorter exhaust bushing because I think it hangs to low and i'm not crazy about that look. I want to raise it enough to where I can cut a semi-circle on the oem lip and have it sit inside the semi-circle cut. Any ideas guys on raising it without major modification?

Last edited by SickFit; 02-19-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
It was very dirty when I took that picture. It is polished. I'm lazy to go under and clean but i'll take a better pic next time.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SickFit
Did yours not come polished? Mine did! Maybe yours is just dirty. I absolutely love the look of my TMT. I havent put it on yet but I plan on taking pics.

Also, do any of you know how I can raise the exhaust even if the OEM lips is in the way? One way i'm planning to raise the exhaust is to get shorter exhaust bushing because I think it hangs to low and i'm not crazy about that look. I want to raise it enough to where I can cut a semi-circle on the oem lip and have it sit inside the semi-circle cut. Any ideas guys on raising it without major modification?

you should be able to either buy smaller oem bushings from a different application, or you could take a torch and heat up the brackets and put a bend in them earlier

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
you should be able to either buy smaller oem bushings from a different application, or you could take a torch and heat up the brackets and put a bend in them earlier
When you say brackets, you mean hangers right? I can do that but i know its not going to be that easy. Anyone tried this to their hangers of their exhaust muffler.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Touring or Apexi WSII