Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

JDM L15 HERE I COME!!@!!@!!!! (im building this b*tch 4 boost)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
what cracks me up is mhi td04's commonly have thrust bearing failures(the bullet proof comment) and the egt comment. never seen a turbo being refered to being the culprit of excessive egt's. alot of other factors like ignition timing, fuel, exhaust, iat's effect egt's. seen it on diesel's but never seen it with gas engines but it makes sense. heat is heat. not trying to say what you said wasn't true.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by underdog
what cracks me up is mhi td04's commonly have thrust bearing failures(the bullet proof comment) and the egt comment. never seen a turbo being refered to being the culprit of excessive egt's. alot of other factors like ignition timing, fuel, exhaust, iat's effect egt's. seen it on diesel's but never seen it with gas engines but it makes sense. heat is heat. not trying to say what you said wasn't true.
Oh. Not many thrust bearing problems at a maximum of 15psi. As for the Turbo being the problem, i now a 9b reverse rotation twin turbo setup on an SRT4 is a disaster, where as a 13b setup has egt's as low as the stock unit.

tune was at 17psi falling to 14.5 @ redline. afr's were between 11.3 and 11.6 on all runs. 0 knock and 93octaine fuel.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Banned
Both the JDM and the USDM engines are the same internally and externally except for the USDM intake manifold and TB.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by cavie187

they think it is "cool" to have a Turbo the size of a ferris wheel.
lol dude u just freakin busted me up!!! Turbo the size of a ferris wheel''
and i agree with u on dat input.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Both the JDM and the USDM engines are the same internally and externally except for the USDM intake manifold and TB.
what are the differences in the ecu?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Underdog is correct that the turbo is not the cause of high/low EGTs. That is affected by the tune. I used to own an Evo IX and don't recommend a stock Evo 16G for such a small motor. Its efficiency range is up top, which I believe is asking too much from the L15.

You shouldn't go building a turbo kit based an the arbitrary 15psi number. Shop for a turbo that meets the HP goal you're looking for and then build the motor to handle the pressure that the turbo will be producing.

Good luck with your build!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
what are the differences in the ecu?
Just the DBW TB system and adjusted for USA emissions which are related to the lag in the DBW. For the whole car the O-2 sensors are a different setup with different locations not sure how that would effect things. If you use the USDM intake manifold with DBW and the USDM ECU you should have no problems.

Last edited by claymore; 04-15-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: see I even ignored the NOOBIES mistake
Old 04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
[quote=underdog;283497]
I would go with a small Td04 or IHI, maybe a Td05. Best bet would be a little Td04. They spool fast, are just about bullet proof, relatively low egt's, and they are EVERYWHERE!
quote]

lol that cracked me up. egt's has alot to do with tuning not the turbo. but the reccomendation is good. td04 is a frame size of turbo and comes in many flavors. some from as small as the 9b(3000gt) as big as the 19t(volvo v70r) I myself plan on running a divided td04l-15g hybrid. having the divided housing with a "twin scroll" manifold should spool pretty fast as well as having the 15g compressor wheel to support higher flow levels if needed. one common mistake for most people when boosting is the magic boost levels they want to run. example 15psi from say a td04 9b may only be say 200cfm as apposed to a 16g which at 15psi could be 350cfm(making up numbers for figure of speech) ultimately you need to look at it as cfm and hp. it might only take 6psi to make 175hp with the 16g and take 20psi with the 9b to make the same hp goal. so my reccomendation is to sit down and decide what the intentions of you car are, as well as a realistic power goal. if your looking for under 200whp(which is alot for a l15a) then I feel the td04 with a 13t or larger wheel is a good choice. or even a t25 framed turbo would be a good idea. going to the td05 or t3 framed turbos is going to be a little laggy IMO. another thing to consider once you pick a turbo is exhaust housing a/r(or cm2 for the mitsu boys) a smaller housing will spool faster but sacrifice power up top. so keeping in the .54-.63a/r (t25) is safe and 5cm2-7cm2(tdo4) would also be ideal. but going with a properly paired divided setup is like cheating on a 4 cyl. get the best of both worlds. gotta love exhaust scavenging.
so what size turbo, how much psi, etc... would it take to get a fit to push 225-250 hp with a built motor like he is talking about.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
can you run an JDM ecu on a USDM motor? will i mess up the gauge cluster or anything? it would be cool to do a JDM throttle body/throttle linkage/ecu swap onto a USDM motor. DBW FTL.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Just the DBW TB system and adjusted for USA emissions which are related to the lag in the DBW. For the whole car the O-2 sensors are a different setup with different locations not sure how that would effect things. If you use the USDM intake manifold with DBW and the USDM ECU you should have no problems.
haha but running the usdm ecu and dbw would make having the jdm engine kind of pointless. pretty much the main reason i bought it (other than the fact that i was about to buy a junked usdm L15 and build it) was so i could get away from the dbw setup. there are at least ten different throttle bodies for the jdm L15 and not one for the usdm.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM
why not look at a turbo like the gt28rs for decent spool and good power capabilities.

It could probably do 250whp all day every day on a built engine and still spool around 3500-4000rpms.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
what is that a k24/k20 turbo i see in a BLAZING ORANGE METTALIC fit?

ahhhh pure sex.

man i just got 3k from my income taxes. this has opened a whole new world for me. let me tell you how many options it has opened. hahaha

and since i sold my carbon products that gave me a little extra to tow around with.

U sold all that carbon?!? dang wish i'd know about that. I'd love to have that hood and lip

:edit: u have any new pics?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
[quote=jscooter;283900]
Originally Posted by underdog

so what size turbo, how much psi, etc... would it take to get a fit to push 225-250 hp with a built motor like he is talking about.
Depends on what kind of compression he decides to run, and how long he wants the motor to work properly. That being said: quite a bit relatively stock block/internals.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
[quote=cavie187;284031]
Originally Posted by jscooter

Depends on what kind of compression he decides to run, and how long he wants the motor to work properly. That being said: quite a bit relatively stock block/internals.
if i ran a thicker head gasket to lower compression, would that screw with my valve clearance? do you think that would be overkill with the soapdish pistons?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
[quote=kelsodeez;284039]

if i ran a thicker head gasket to lower compression, would that screw with my valve clearance? do you think that would be overkill with the soapdish pistons?
Depends on the piston clearance.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
how will you manage the engine? how familiar are you with alternative fuels and do you have access to them? for example, i think that a high compression, E85, on a twin-scroll would help a lot with the inherent disadvantages of the motor.

here's the thing though - i personally think that the thing you really need to make absolutely certain of first before going forward with any of this is whether or not you have a competent tuner with a load bearing dyno to do you your tuning. it isn't hard to buy parts, find someone to put them together, and hand someone the money to do it. you could end up spending a lot of money without having a lot to show for it.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
how will you manage the engine? how familiar are you with alternative fuels and do you have access to them? for example, i think that a high compression, E85, on a twin-scroll would help a lot with the inherent disadvantages of the motor.

here's the thing though - i personally think that the thing you really need to make absolutely certain of first before going forward with any of this is whether or not you have a competent tuner with a load bearing dyno to do you your tuning. it isn't hard to buy parts, find someone to put them together, and hand someone the money to do it. you could end up spending a lot of money without having a lot to show for it.
ehh, if there was a gas station that has e85 near my house, i would consider it. but i am not driving 20 miles everytime i need to fill up. at this point in the evolution of the internal combustion engine, its not an option to switch to ethanol for me.

as for knowing a good dyno tuner, i am friends with one of the best tuners in the country. he is right across the bridge in alameda and ive already talked about what i want to do with my motor. i understand that building an engine for boost is opening a can of worms, but i have friends and family i can turn to for solid advice when i run into a problem. and im sure i will run into my share of them. i wouldnt let someone else work on my car unless i trusted them. if i dont do my own work, i dont feel right about it.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=kelsodeez;284039]

not sure what a soapdish piston is(i'll look it up in a few) but the thicker headgasket should be a last resort. keeping the piston to head clearance is essential to help with quench to help fight detonation.

tuning is going to play the biggest factor. as for the 225-250hp comment. are we talking whp or bhp? 250whp from a l15a is going to take a bit I feel. one thing I would highly reccomend is alky injection. a nice progressive system is worth its weight in gold. as for turbo reccomendations. if were talking whp a gt28rs would work great if you have deep pockets. i'd get one with the t25 exhaust housing since you most likely wont be able to take advantage of a full t3 housing gt28rs. a cheaper route would be a t3 60trim with a .48 exhaust housing but don't look for full boost untill 4k or so. a td04-19t from an old civic greddy kit would support your numbers. I plan to start my turbo build here shortly with a divided setup and I may market it so if you like it I'm sure I could have a nice custom hybrid built to suit your needs. I've been playing with divided setup and its just absolutly amazing how much it helps. I feel a divided td04hl-19t would support your hp goal with a very nice spool and transient response. as far as how much boost?? well only the dyno and engine will tell you that(read those plugs!!). bigger turbo=more lag but more hp per psi. smaller turbo=less lag but less hp per psi.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned
haha but running the usdm ECU and dbw would make having the jdm engine kind of pointless. pretty much the main reason i bought it (other than the fact that i was about to buy a junked usdm L15 and build it) was so i could get away from the dbw setup. there are at least ten different throttle bodies for the jdm L15 and not one for the usdm.

Then just get an other than USDM ECU try Mexico they run the rest of the world ECU. And adding an extra head gasket will IMPROVE valve clearance because you are moving the valves further away from the piston crown.

BUT you are also moving the cam further from the crank so the drive chain will have to stretch a little so you will have to hope the adjuster has enough "play" in it to allow for the higher cam.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 AM
[quote=underdog;284461]

tuning is going to play the biggest factor. as for the 225-250hp comment. are we talking whp or bhp? 250whp from a l15a is going to take a bit I feel. one thing I would highly reccomend is alky injection. a nice progressive system is worth its weight in gold. as for turbo reccomendations. if were talking whp a gt28rs would work great if you have deep pockets. i'd get one with the t25 exhaust housing since you most likely wont be able to take advantage of a full t3 housing gt28rs. a cheaper route would be a t3 60trim with a .48 exhaust housing but don't look for full boost untill 4k or so. a td04-19t from an old civic greddy kit would support your numbers. I plan to start my turbo build here shortly with a divided setup and I may market it so if you like it I'm sure I could have a nice custom hybrid built to suit your needs. I've been playing with divided setup and its just absolutly amazing how much it helps. I feel a divided td04hl-19t would support your hp goal with a very nice spool and transient response. as far as how much boost?? well only the dyno and engine will tell you that(read those plugs!!). bigger turbo=more lag but more hp per psi. smaller turbo=less lag but less hp per psi.
well i dont know much about turbos either i'm trying to learn but i want a good medium for lag vs. boost i want 225-250 Whp would i have to run more than 10 psi? i would pretty much do everything kelso is planning...P&P, new pistons and rods the lower compression, and etc...anymore ideas to get where i want...as far as the money, that is no problem i make enough and my wife is about to become a nurse $$ i bought all her books and paid her way through school so she is gonna repay me i wanna do it with a fit because i love to be different and be at a stop light with a bunch of groceries and own someone and we plan on having another kid so i need a 4 door. ALWAYS loved honda so no to a WRX, and my goal is to run a 13.99 or higher...people did it with civic hatches back in the day and they didnt have much difference in hp stock, now they build the motor and boost it a D16 and BAM! instant gratification...so i know there is hope...lol

Quick Reply: JDM L15 HERE I COME!!@!!@!!!! (im building this b*tch 4 boost)