Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   HKS Turbo kit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/27171-hks-turbo-kit.html)

diedwater 07-17-2008 01:39 PM

is there any reason that this kit can't hit T1R's performance level? Right now, I just want a little boost in power to make everyday driving more fun, but it ll be good to know that down the road, there is still room from growth.

I don't know too much about turbos...so hopefully someone can point me to the light.

GD3-Fit 07-17-2008 01:59 PM

of course there is
you can always add a turboback exhaust which would gain quite a bit of power and up the boost and get it re-tuned

the L15 has a lot of untapped potential as of right now
just getting the base 5-7 psi forced induction kits are used right now
because the motor can handle it
once companies like T1R and Kraftwerks experiment more on higher boost levels, i'm pretty sure the L15 will be putting down some nice numbers if tuned correctly.

-Ricky

JDMchris.com 07-17-2008 02:02 PM

yes you can up the boost and get more power... but then the main reason people are buyinh this kit over the T1R is the carb status. If you change the tune, injectors, up the boost the kit is then no longer carb compliant.

Spooling 07-17-2008 02:23 PM

Excellent kit but the HKS F-con is a turn off. :(

diedwater 07-17-2008 03:33 PM

I m looking at this kit mainly because it's affordable, I can get it to my door step for under 3k, as for T1R, with shipping and everything, it ll be over 4k...Carb really isn't a concern for me as I live in Kansas.....>___>

YeeFit 07-17-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by diedwater (Post 369398)
I m looking at this kit mainly because it's affordable, I can get it to my door step for under 3k, as for T1R, with shipping and everything, it ll be over 4k...Carb really isn't a concern for me as I live in Kansas.....>___>

The HKS kit is cheaper, but you need to look at what you want and if you plan on increasing boost for more power some day.

HKS 5.7PSI @ 3k = 127whp

T1R 4.5PSI @ 4k = 145whp

T1R 6PSI = 165whp

The T1R kit also comes with upgraded injectors, a blow off valve, and Greddy E-Manage Ultimate which is easier to tune than the HKS's F-Con. The HKS kit does not come with BOV, Injectors or Test Pipe.

I was interested in the HKS kit for a bit, but I knew I wouldn't be happy with 127whp. My goal is ~160whp and that is easily obtainable with the T1R kit at the cost of tuning and a waste gate spring.

Increasing the boost on the HKS will end up costing a pretty penny.. new injectors, BOV, F-Con tuning, test pipe.. I think in the end the cost savings are pretty much void with the HKS kit if you plan on achieving the same power levels as the T1R kit.

But if you want the HKS kit as a bolt on and will be happy with it, then its definitely a steal of a deal.

Previc93 07-17-2008 05:32 PM

Thats good research. thank you. i have been looking into getting a kit on my car. its so slow and it needs boost. thanks for the info. ill take the t1r kit.

diedwater 07-17-2008 05:55 PM

great info Yeefit!

but I m a bit confused, I thought the T1R kit is running at 6psi making 160whp, so it's actually not? and I need to make adjustment to get it up to that point?

I have full exhaust setup already, so just waiting for a kit ^___~

YeeFit 07-17-2008 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by diedwater (Post 369468)
great info Yeefit!

but I m a bit confused, I thought the T1R kit is running at 6psi making 160whp, so it's actually not? and I need to make adjustment to get it up to that point?

I have full exhaust setup already, so just waiting for a kit ^___~

Anytime!:D I am going to get the T1R kit. Gonna order it at the end of the month.

The kit is set at 4.5psi. But I think if you contact T1R directly they may up it to 6psi for you (all that is needed is a 6psi wastegate spring and the 6psi map for the greddy emanage which Ben at AJ-R can supply). The 4.5psi was set to protect "noobs" from blowing the turbo without proper break in. Ask Bluecell about that :p

gd3kamiwanaB 07-17-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by sfACTOR1 (Post 369155)
Whar crack r u smoking? :rotfl: :confused: :mad:

HKS states approx 30% increase WITH upgraded spark AND their exhaust!!!

what do u think 30% of 90ish WHP is?
hint: it's 30 hp!!

40 hp is 30% MORE then 30 hp!!!:rotfl:
60 hp?!?!?!?!?!? 60 hp is almost a 70% increse (nearly double the stock hp to the wheels):rotfl:

please, we all like the hks kit, but u insult everybody's intelligence with your "national enquirer" style reporting

out of curiousity what do u think your car does in the quarter? 12's? :rotfl:

HEY DUMB ASS welcome to fit freak, when people are a little off on there numbers we dont ridicule and use the homotastic ":rotfl:" to prove our point, we are adults and we use words to explain our differences in opinion. If you cant do that I'm sure there is a civic dx forum somewhere where ricers talk about there wings and fart cans. so with NO due respect F>UCK OFF!

GD3_Wagoon 07-17-2008 06:42 PM

if we crunch the numbers, 30% of 90 is not 30. 30% of 100 would be 30, 30% of 90 would be 27 ;)

back on topic:
the HKS kit looks great, CARB legality is great, hp output is satisfactory, f-con tunability is bust...

the t1r kit is what i've been saving for, the only thing i'll miss are my fog lights :o

gd3kamiwanaB 07-17-2008 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
t1r if you will, but have fun spending about 3 hours cutting and splicing and soldering and crimping and and and well just Fing up the cars wiring harness.:D
Attachment 79370

GD3_Wagoon 07-17-2008 07:18 PM

LoL, not me - i hardly had the tools to install my mugen visors... DEEEEYYYYYAAAAAAUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM, look at all demz wierz yo!!!

i'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it for me :(. my gf's dad knows the right people, i'm hoping he can pull some strings and get me some sort of labor or tuning discount

Originally Posted by gd3kamiwanaB (Post 369526)
t1r if you will, but have fun spending about 3 hours cutting and splicing and soldering and crimping and and and well just Fing up the cars wiring harness.:D
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...lude/turbo.jpg

YeeFit 07-17-2008 07:37 PM

It's actually not that bad.. I know it looks like a rats nest of wires, but supposedly all the wires are labelled as to where they are to go.

I guess for me its not an issue since I am MECP certified. :)

an hour of wire harness install for an extra 40hp/40ft lbs to the wheels @ 6psi is well worth my time. lol.

But ya, I can understand that to the average joe the wiring can look very overwhelming. If you question your skills, take it in to have it all professionally installed.... OR just get the HKS kit.. its a solid kit, easier to install, and an efficient and CARB legal kit.

Don't forget, you can still upgrade the HKS kit with the necessary parts to get it to a higher boost level.. it just takes mo money.. and in the end it can cost maybe the same as the T1R kit.

gd3kamiwanaB 07-17-2008 07:44 PM

thank you Yeefit i like the way you think lol

abscooter 07-17-2008 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by YeeFit (Post 369412)
The HKS kit is cheaper, but you need to look at what you want and if you plan on increasing boost for more power some day.

HKS 5.7PSI @ 3k = 127whp

T1R 4.5PSI @ 4k = 145whp

T1R 6PSI = 165whp

The T1R kit also comes with upgraded injectors, a blow off valve, and Greddy E-Manage Ultimate which is easier to tune than the HKS's F-Con. The HKS kit does not come with BOV, Injectors or Test Pipe.

I was interested in the HKS kit for a bit, but I knew I wouldn't be happy with 127whp. My goal is ~160whp and that is easily obtainable with the T1R kit at the cost of tuning and a waste gate spring.

Increasing the boost on the HKS will end up costing a pretty penny.. new injectors, BOV, F-Con tuning, test pipe.. I think in the end the cost savings are pretty much void with the HKS kit if you plan on achieving the same power levels as the T1R kit.

But if you want the HKS kit as a bolt on and will be happy with it, then its definitely a steal of a deal.

I just wanted to comment on the post and how it was going, It seems like you guys are saying if you buy the HKS kit you are Sacrificing something, like HP. WOW how far from the truth.

Yes the number you post are correct, but its the underline information that make the difference.

first they is a big reason the HKS kit is priced at $3495.00 is to compete with Greddy and it worked. They made Greddy rethink their whole kit. Greddy has now delayed their kit till next year and is now trying to make the kit Carb approved. This means if you want a greddy kit you are just waiting and waiting. :confused:

As for the power, the HKS kit can make the same power as the T1R kit, just takes 5 bolts. A cat delete like the T1R kit is a 15 HP simple upgrade. If you have had experience with turbo cars you would know this. A cat back makes a Great HP gain over a axle back, especially, since the fits piping is so small.

So with HKS you can have the best off both worlds. you can be carb legal with 127 or 145+ when you want.

As for passing emission or Carb approved this is all in the Tune, HKS went the extra mile to get the Certification. You can have Upgrade Injectors, Larger Turbos and Still Pass emissions. I know first hand.

The HKS Kit is the best platforn to start with!

I plan to start my dyno tuning next week and will keep you posted.

junior40er 07-17-2008 11:00 PM

^^Keep us posted......

JamesBizzle 07-18-2008 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by abscooter (Post 369681)

first they is a big reason the HKS kit is priced at $3495.00 is to compete with Greddy and it worked. They made Greddy rethink their whole kit. Greddy has now delayed their kit till next year and is now trying to make the kit Carb approved. This means if you want a greddy kit you are just waiting and waiting. :confused:

Excuse me sir, but I must correct you. GReddy will be releasing their kit at the end of August... So will there waiting involved? Yes. Will it be long? Not really.

abscooter 07-18-2008 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by JamesBizzle (Post 369733)
Excuse me sir, but I must correct you. GReddy will be releasing their kit at the end of August... So will there waiting involved? Yes. Will it be long? Not really.

You can Correct me all you want, I talked to some of the guys in Cal and east coast greddy about the kit last week. They said toward the end of the year to the first quater of 2009. knowing Greddy 2009. If they come out sooner great. It will be interesting to see what they finaly come out with.

JamesBizzle 07-18-2008 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by abscooter (Post 369754)
You can Correct me all you want, I talked to some of the guys in Cal and east coast greddy about the kit last week. They said toward the end of the year to the first quater of 2009. knowing Greddy 2009. If they come out sooner great. It will be interesting to see what they finaly come out with.

Interesting... I'm actually running their prototype and so I talk to them rather frequently. I'll get to the bottm of this.