Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

I want more low-end power/torque--What mod next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
I want more low-end power/torque--What mod next?

I just put in the Fujita SRI and Weapon*R street headers and I'm impressed with the increase in driveability! I'm looking for the next step in modding to eke a bit more low-RPM performance out of my Fit. I don't want an exhaust because they are all louder than stock, and I want to keep my car discrete. Since exhaust is out of the question (unless, of course, there's something out there that is the same volume as stock) what are my other options?

I'm not too mechanically inclined, so the easier the mod, the better!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned
If Apexi made a full cat back, I'd recommend the WS2, its super quiet. Whats your budget like? You could always do a light weight crank pulley coupled with a light weight flywheel. I know you said you're not mechanically inclined, but hell your close and I'm almost always free to help with stuff like that.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Is there anyone in our area that has an Apex'i WSII? I'd be interested in checking it out, I saw a few videos on YouTube and it didn't seem loud at all. My budget is about $300.. is it possible to do the pulley and flywheel within that budget?

[edit] also, any dyno graphs on flywheels?

Last edited by coupdetat; 07-17-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Best thing for the money is the T1R or Unorthodox Racing lightweight crank pulley. And they are completely silent! lol..

For about $200, you will get a 2-3whp gain across the entire powerband. Adding a full catback will not help low end torque, it'll just increase high end horsepower. By increasing the diameter of the exhaust you are losing back pressure which is what is needed for torque.

Apart from that, turbo would be the next step for some serious torque.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. I've been eyeing that Unorthodox pulley since I saw it in Import Tuner. Looks like the gains were decent... I didn't find any dyno figures for the T1R, though. Also, the all-important question, what is required to install it? Import Tuner said 60 minutes, which probably means more like 3 hours for me. And what is the cheapest place to get it?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by coupdetat
Nice. I've been eyeing that Unorthodox pulley since I saw it in Import Tuner. Looks like the gains were decent... I didn't find any dyno figures for the T1R, though. Also, the all-important question, what is required to install it? Import Tuner said 60 minutes, which probably means more like 3 hours for me. And what is the cheapest place to get it?
Not sure where to get the Unorthodox kit at the best price. I know you can buy direct from them tho.

The T1R pulley I think is dyno'd in their section of the forum.. search around in there for some #'s.

As for installation.. it is failry straight forward if you have the right tools. I think a pretty strong impact gun and a torque wrench are needed.

You might get a bit more power with the unorthodox pulley kit as it comes with the lightweight crank pulley and a lightweight alternator pulley as well. The T1R is only the crank pulley.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned
The flywheel wont really give you power per say, but it'll make the motor rev quicker and in essence free up some ponies.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
you can get a lightened flywheel for around 325 shipped. search for fidanza lightened flywheel, i think ajr sells em. still waiting on installing mine.... ;/

Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
.... there are tons of exhaust systems out there that are just as quiet at stock....

Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
nitrous or forced induction is going to be the only real way to pick up a substantial gain in low end tq. unfortunatly increasing VE at low rpm on a small displacement engine is hard to do without increasing compression or throwing a decent amount of ignition timing(would require a tuning system and a good tuner)
I'm not a big fan of undampened crank pullies. there's alot of proof that they do more damage than good so I'd personally throw that idea out the window if you want to keep your bearings happy. a lighter flywheel actually hurts low end acceleration slightly(less kinetic energy to help the vehicle accelerate) it does how ever help the engine rev faster which can help with mid range-top end power. it also makes the car a little harder to drive in stop and go traffic.
running a gear set would make a huge improvement on low end power but at a sacrifice. you will loose a little fuel economy(not that we don't have any to spare) you'll be at higher rpms on the highway, and it is quite an in depth job.(requires removal of the transmission and complete tear down)

p.s. honda with tq is an oxymoron.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by underdog
I'm not a big fan of undampened crank pullies. there's alot of proof that they do more damage than good so I'd personally throw that idea out the window if you want to keep your bearings happy.
Isn't teh T1R crank pulley dampened??

Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Get used to it...
Name:  IMG_2827.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  39.8 KB

Old 07-18-2008, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcapo
.... there are tons of exhaust systems out there that are just as quiet at stock....
Like which ones? All of the exhausts I've seen have been pretty loud.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by coupdetat
Like which ones? All of the exhausts I've seen have been pretty loud.

Most the big fart can looking exhausts are going to be loud, a lot of the oval canisters are quiet, but that doesn't mean all of them.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
What brand? Searching the forums for "oval canister" isn't going to help me.

I've heard the Tanabe Touring Medallion is pretty quiet, but in videos it still sounds awfully loud. I also drove in Arisenfury's car with the Megan axle-back but felt that was louder than I'd prefer. If anything, I'd want absolutely quiet as stock.

As for torque... any other options? Or am I out of luck? Looks like the Weapon*R manifold might be an option, although it's a bit more expensive.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
u want torque? get a KWSC
no mere bolt on is going to give you the amount of torque you are expecting from a 1.5 liter
and you can keep the stock exhaust so it's still quiet

the L15 is shit for bolt on response.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit of RAGE
Isn't teh T1R crank pulley dampened??
It was originally planned as a dampened pulley, but they experienced power loss with the AT with that config so they went with an undampened version instead.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit
no mere bolt on is going to give you the amount of torque you are expecting from a 1.5 liter

yeah AND the SC will sounds sooo soo sexy
it's the only type of whine i like haha

Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kyle.
yeah AND the SC will sounds sooo soo sexy
it's the only type of whine i like haha
isn't the kwsc a centrifugal supercharger?? if it is it would have a very simular sound to a turbo? positive displacement superchargers are the only ones that "whine" that i'm aware of.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by GD3-Fit

if you compare the torque of the kwsc to the torque of the t1r turbo kit, the kswc's torque is laughable.

30%+ more torque from the turbo setup

so if you want tq, don't go kswc, go turbo... or nitrous :-D

oh, and I just bought the hks hi-power axle back, it's barely louder than stock unless you're under heavy throttle, then it's a bit louder. as far as the tanabe medallion touring, the only reason it seems loud in those videos is because people are slamming the accelerator. make a video of your stock exhaust at full throttle and it'll sound the same

Last edited by drzenitram; 07-19-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: I want more low-end power/torque--What mod next?