Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

2nd set of fouled spark plugs on kwsc

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation 2nd set of fouled spark plugs on kwsc

Once again I'm getting the hesitation/hiccup. Now it completely bogs out and my engine quit twice yesterday due to the revs being so low. This time happened on low gas tank and after a car wash. Others with me and I supsected the filter got wet and water got in the engine. I had white smoke puffing out of the exhaust (same thing as I had in Wisconsin when the plugs were fouled).

Changed out the spark plugs this morning (they were fouled....again). Still have the sputtering problem from time to time, even with the new plugs in. Threw a misfire code yesterday on cylinder 1 (P0301 as well as P0000). I cleared that code with my scangauge and then I threw P0302 and P0000.

Looking for a shop nearby Greensboro, NC, who might be able to help out, but I wanted to lay it down on fitfreak and see if anyone had any ideas about what might be wrong (hose connections seem fine, filter isn't wet anymore, supercard connections are good, and alternator is where it should be for belt tension).

Help please??

Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kmdebit
Once again I'm getting the hesitation/hiccup. Now it completely bogs out and my engine quit twice yesterday due to the revs being so low. This time happened on low gas tank and after a car wash. Others with me and I supsected the filter got wet and water got in the engine. I had white smoke puffing out of the exhaust (same thing as I had in Wisconsin when the plugs were fouled).

Changed out the spark plugs this morning (they were fouled....again). Still have the sputtering problem from time to time, even with the new plugs in. Threw a misfire code yesterday on cylinder 1 (P0301 as well as P0000). I cleared that code with my scangauge and then I threw P0302 and P0000.

Looking for a shop nearby Greensboro, NC, who might be able to help out, but I wanted to lay it down on fitfreak and see if anyone had any ideas about what might be wrong (hose connections seem fine, filter isn't wet anymore, supercard connections are good, and alternator is where it should be for belt tension).

Help please??
I would start with the basics. make sure you gap your plugs smaller then factory(you could be blowing out the spark) I would start around .032". if you know anyone with a wideband o2 sensor i'd see if they would let you borrow one to check your afr's. one thing you need to be carefull with a forced induction engine is keeping the tank around 1/4 and above. it is very possible from heavy acceleration you could be putting the fuel towards the back of the tank and starving the pump for fuel.
white smoke is no bueno...i'd deffinitly get it checked out. you could have lifted the head and scorched the gasket especially if it possibly ran lean from low fuel.

I realize they build these systems to be "bolt on" but if it were me i'd at least purchase a wideband o2 sensor to protect my investment (the car) dyno tuning the car with a wideband would be ideal to know everything is working fine. lets just hope you didn't hurt anything.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
man km that sucks bro! sorry to here you are still having problems. i've had a wideband since i've owned the kit. are you running the stock injectors or the 205's. what's your current setup again? why don't you take it to king motorsports and have them check it out? your close to them correct.

i find that i need to let the car warm up quite a bit even in hot weather. i have experienced the same hiccup but the car has not stalled out. no fouled plugs either. it seems that the sc is not in operating temp range possibly because once i have driven it for a while it goes away.

I am going to get a piggyback and have it tuned because the supercard is not living up to my expectations. I should have gone turbo.

Last edited by leonine; 08-11-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM
I agree with the wideband O2 sensor, with a onboard A/F gauge, along with a fuel pressure, and oil pressure gauge installed. Way I see it, if you can afford a FI setup, The gauges should not even be a option. Boost gauge also, to make sure that everything is in proper working order. I think I would have a reputable shop run a compression test as well. Best bet would be to get it on a dyno, and have them check the paramaters. If your spark is blowing out, it will show up.

Also is the car running the baseline tune for the forced induction? Every car is different and really needs to by dyno tuned for the individual car.

Last edited by jvm051; 08-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jvm051
I agree with the wideband O2 sensor, with a onboard A/F gauge, along with a fuel pressure, and oil pressure gauge installed. Way I see it, if you can afford a FI setup, The gauges should not even be a option. Boost gauge also, to make sure that everything is in proper working order. I think I would have a reputable shop run a compression test as well. Best bet would be to get it on a dyno, and have them check the paramaters. If your spark is blowing out, it will show up.

Also is the car running the baseline tune for the forced induction? Every car is different and really needs to by dyno tuned for the individual car.
I agree with the exception of the fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges. the wideband would pick up if you lost fuel pressure so thats a little overkill. and there's an idiot light for oil pressure. are they bad idea's? not at all. but I wouldn't say necessary. wideband yes. boost gauge on a centrifugal supercharger..... naa. boost gauge on a turbo.... yes.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonine
I am going to get a piggyback and have it tuned because the supercard is not living up to my expectations. I should have gone turbo.
I have been hearing this quite a bit, it is too bad because it sounded like such a promising engine management solution.

Are you looking at getting an E-manage?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
AEM fuel/ignition controller. my mechanic said he can wire it up and street tune it for about 400.00. then i will have to find a dyno shop that is reputable in my area for a dyno tune.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Have you contacted Oscar? I have been on the same plugs for over a year.. BTW Leonine... I am currently running the Supercard again with upgraded injectors... NO HONDATA on my car right now and it is running flawlessly.

KM definitely call Oscar and see if he can find out whats wrong.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
dam i forgot the name of the shop that i had a hook up at Greensboro.

if i can find it ill let you know bro.

NC ftw!

Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
dam i forgot the name of the shop that i had a hook up at Greensboro.

if i can find it ill let you know bro.

NC ftw!
That'd be sweet I found a place called Turbo Tuners or something like that. Haven't found anything else in Gboro...gf is from there. Might go to Phantasm or whatever in Raleigh if they can do AEM tuning on the F/IC controller. Dunno, kind of apprehensive to get into anything. Computer just died, so I had to get a new one, and that was the money I was gonna use for the F/IC

Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
That'd be sweet I found a place called Turbo Tuners or something like that. Haven't found anything else in Gboro...gf is from there. Might go to Phantasm or whatever in Raleigh if they can do AEM tuning on the F/IC controller. Dunno, kind of apprehensive to get into anything. Computer just died, so I had to get a new one, and that was the money I was gonna use for the F/IC

i've heard good things about both phantasm and turbo tune. i think you'd be cool with either.

and yes nc ftw. hope they get it worked out for ya man!

Last edited by eldaino; 08-13-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 AM
do a compression test....that may tell you real quick what the problem could be.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
i found some info on aempower.com regarding the F/IC. seems that the wiring is exactly the same as the 06-07 s2k with the exception of the TPS signal. i downloaded the s2k wiring instructions and it was pretty straight forward. The fit ecu pinouts were posted on aempower also so it was easy to compare. guanalang had done this successfully and posted a question regarding the tps connection there. he was answered by admin and he said on that forum that everything was running great.

So it seems easier than i expected especially that there are clear wiring diagrams for me or my mechanic to follow. you have to register with the forum to see the .pdf doc for the s2k diagram which is located here:

F/IC Installation Notes: Honda S2000 00-05, 06-07

guanalang's posts are here:

Please help me find TPS wire for 07 honda fit (PIC inside)

Hope that helps

Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
White smoke from the exhaust is NOT a good sign at all. Its signs of water in the cylinders. Normal signs after a blown headgasket.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
White smoke from the exhaust is NOT a good sign at all. Its signs of water in the cylinders. Normal signs after a blown headgasket.
exactly
compression test will tell you for sure.....

Old 08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
So what if....

What if the white smoke is gone now? Does that mean the water's gone, and my head gasket may be still intact??

Most likely the water came in via the intake due to the car wash and my washer-tricked hood (opening close to windshield, water got on the filter, made its way through the SC and into my engine). Trying not to sink much more money into this thing, but I have a bad feeling about the engine in general now =-\

Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
What if the white smoke is gone now? Does that mean the water's gone, and my head gasket may be still intact??

Most likely the water came in via the intake due to the car wash and my washer-tricked hood (opening close to windshield, water got on the filter, made its way through the SC and into my engine). Trying not to sink much more money into this thing, but I have a bad feeling about the engine in general now =-\

this is why a simple compression test will let you know

Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
do a compression test and try running a tank of race gas on new plugs.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by artieman
exactly
compression test will tell you for sure.....
not always. sometimes you can lift the head and just scorch the gasket and it won't always show up in a compression test. a block test with a block tester or a leakdown test may be a more accurate way of testing. but 9 times out of 10 it will show up in a compression test.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone recommend taking it to a Honda dealership, Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys, Midas? I'm in good with some guys at Midas in town. Old school guys, been around for a while, but don't know if they'll know their way around a new honda that much. I really don't care to do it myself, as I don't know anyone with compression testing equip.

Quick Reply: 2nd set of fouled spark plugs on kwsc