Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Quang's turbo build CHU!!! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/36751-quangs-turbo-build-chu.html)

kylerwho 01-10-2009 08:59 PM

good luck using that little mig to weld your oil tank. it doesnt have an A/C setting so you cant run aluminum wire through it.

underdog 01-10-2009 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by kylerwho (Post 542430)
good luck using that little mig to weld your oil tank. it doesnt have an A/C setting so you cant run aluminum wire through it.

he's just going drill and tap the oil pan from my understanding.

kylerwho 01-10-2009 09:37 PM

that makes sense. im a welder so im picky about metal work.

koolkevin1107 01-10-2009 10:36 PM

Rep to u man! I love all ur DIY fab's, this one and the rear disc conversion u did a while ago. Continue updating all the time and show pix.

BTW i have the same welder you bought from harbor Freight. I LOVE it, use it all the time.

Oh btw i think he said he's going to use it for the charge pipes, not for the exhaust manifold and downpipe cuz it wouldn't hold up.

explosivpotato 01-10-2009 11:16 PM

I didn't even tap mine.. I drilled it to the size spec'd in my kit, put a threaded barbed fitting in with washers on both sides, tightened the F!CK out of it with some permanent loktite, and called it good. Hasn't leaked yet...

quangalang 01-11-2009 09:44 PM

yeah the welder i picked up is mainly for tacking things together for mock up. im going to have someone local to me tig weld the manifold and maybe the downpipe.
i have always felt iffy on bulk-head fittings so thats why im drilling and tapping.
ill be back to my house on tuesday so ill maybe have some work done to upate you guys.
later!

koolkevin1107 01-24-2009 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by quangalang (Post 543207)
yeah the welder i picked up is mainly for tacking things together for mock up. im going to have someone local to me tig weld the manifold and maybe the downpipe.
i have always felt iffy on bulk-head fittings so thats why im drilling and tapping.
ill be back to my house on tuesday so ill maybe have some work done to upate you guys.
later!

Can we get an update quanglang?

quangalang 01-27-2009 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by koolkevin1107 (Post 555451)
Can we get an update quanglang?

yeah sorry for lagging so bad, but the guy that i was gonna use to tig up my manifold was lagging out on me, so i said screw it, and i welded it up myself. i have most of it welded up the only thing i have left to do on it is figure out turbo placement and weld on the t3 flange.
after that i have to weld up the down pipe and finish some odd and ends and i should be ready to go :)
pics should be posted soon.

NIGHTHAWKSI 01-27-2009 08:34 AM

do you have any recomendatiosn for running the IC piping past the washer bottle area? what size pipe did you use and is there any rubbing (or close to it)?

its a VERY tight area.

explosivpotato 01-27-2009 09:42 AM

hahaha that brings back install day memories...

The T1R kit came with a washer bottle, but it was nearly (ok, exactly as near as makes any difference) the same as the stock one. My buddy used a torch to heat up the plastic and dent in the top of it to make more clearance. That didn't work well.

So the way I've got it now , it's bungee corded (yes, bungee corded) to the frame at an odd angle, and the filler neck is extended with an old piece of garden hose and some duct tape. :rotfl:

I can't believe it sometimes, but it works!

NIGHTHAWKSI 01-27-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 558495)
hahaha that brings back install day memories...

The T1R kit came with a washer bottle, but it was nearly (ok, exactly as near as makes any difference) the same as the stock one. My buddy used a torch to heat up the plastic and dent in the top of it to make more clearance. That didn't work well.

So the way I've got it now , it's bungee corded (yes, bungee corded) to the frame at an odd angle, and the filler neck is extended with an old piece of garden hose and some duct tape. :rotfl:

I can't believe it sometimes, but it works!

the problem isnt the washer bottle...im planning on cutting off the neck at the base and i will fiblglass a 3/4" clear flexible hose to the opening and run it behind the headlight and into the engine bay above the brake lines.

the problem is just that i feel that area is very small to run piping...but i guess 2" pipe fits without a problem? no rubbing on the metal?

and sorry for the threadjack...

explosivpotato 01-27-2009 09:51 AM

I don't have any rubbing that I can detect on my intercooler pipes. My exhaust, however, is another story entirely... Damn heatshield hangers ruin my day.

quangalang 01-27-2009 01:43 PM

i just pulled out the washer bottle... lol im using 2.5in charge piping though

NIGHTHAWKSI 01-27-2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by quangalang (Post 558663)
i just pulled out the washer bottle... lol im using 2.5in charge piping though

and it fit fine?? i cant even fit a 2.5" pipe through there...

quangalang 01-27-2009 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI (Post 558681)
and it fit fine?? i cant even fit a 2.5" pipe through there...

well i used a 90degree silicon elbow through that section and made it work just fine.
if i had to do it again, id run it under the car would have been much easier

NIGHTHAWKSI 01-27-2009 02:55 PM

last night i was sitting there just staring at the passenger side of the motor trying to figure out how to route it and it seems there is somthign in the way everywhere...

the pullies and wheel well are at the bottom passenger side. i could cut out some of the wheel well, but i think thats just asking for trouble...
if i go any lower than the pulley/wheel well, the pipe will be below the level of the splash shield, i hit that all the time since im lowered...the pipe would be destroyed quickly.

im going to jack the car up and look at it again tonight. if i cant figure out anything easier, im just goign to run 2" pipe whe same way as the t1r and hks kits do.

jeimusu86 01-27-2009 04:14 PM

quangalang where in cali do u live? if u live in socal u have to show up at one of the meets to let us see ur ride

quangalang 01-27-2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeimusu86 (Post 558796)
quangalang where in cali do u live? if u live in socal u have to show up at one of the meets to let us see ur ride

lol i would but im in the valley. in sacramento/modesto.

quangalang 02-17-2009 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68313
just posting a pic of what i have gotten done up till doday. school has been pretty hectic, with work and other things i have to take care of, it's hard to find time to work on the project. hmmm i really dont know if i should do a topmount turbo or bottom mount...
with a topmount it's easier to route the dp and charge pipe, but i dont want to run into heat issues with the coil packs and the lines by the firewall.
do you guys think a nice heat shield will solve heat issues?

quangalang 02-21-2009 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Top mount it is then! Attachment 68106
I have exams all next week so ill try to work on it sometime next weekend.:)