Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Help!!!!!!! Crank pulley bolt (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/36932-help-crank-pulley-bolt.html)

Squad808 Fit 01-10-2009 05:29 PM

Help!!!!!!! Crank pulley bolt

I need help getting my crank pulley off. I tried every possible way to get it off. I already am ghetto riggin it, used air tools (MAC 1/2), breaker bar and 1/2 in extention (ended up bending extention). I already know how to stop the pulley from moving, I JUST CANT CRACK THE BOLT OFF. PLEASE HELP, Which way does the bolt come off?

xaircooledx 01-10-2009 05:58 PM

Honda is known for using some un-earthly glue on their crank bolts. The first time you take them off, blasting it with a flame will melt the compound and you can take it off using regular tools.

kylerwho 01-10-2009 07:02 PM

turn it counter clockwise to twist it off. i used a breaker bar with a three foot cheater pipe and really pulled on it and it popped really loud so i though it broke the bolt but it came off finally.

koolkevin1107 01-10-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by kylerwho (Post 542371)
turn it counter clockwise to twist it off. i used a breaker bar with a three foot cheater pipe and really pulled on it and it popped really loud so i though it broke the bolt but it came off finally.

Craftsman 350ft/lbs torque impact gun in reverse ftw!! I could only use power tools, couldn't do it with hand.... wayyyyy tooo hard. OH and i tried it with a 250ft/lb impact gun and it didn't move. the 350 worked like a charm. :wavey:

artieman 01-10-2009 08:38 PM

My snap on atc500 impact gun ripped it right off. But with 600ft lbs in reverse it wasnt much of a suprise.
Find someone with an impact gun with some balls.

kylerwho 01-10-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by artieman (Post 542419)
My snap on atc500 impact gun ripped it right off. But with 600ft lbs in reverse it wasnt much of a suprise.
Find someone with an impact gun with some balls.

so how big are the balls of a guy who did it by hand?

Squad808 Fit 01-10-2009 09:21 PM

thanks

THANKS GUYS! I got it off, took it to my friends shop and it went right off. Found out that our compressor is not putting out enough psi, but the guns we had were semi truck air tools. My friends all work with the big rigs. Anyway, THANKS.

djboi808 01-18-2009 03:11 PM

if you can get your hands on a 3/4" impact gun that will take it off . trust me i was working on hondas everyday for the pass 10 years and my 3/4" impact gun never failed

Steven Hung 01-19-2009 03:52 AM

If the 3/4" impact gun failed, there is the 1" impact gun with over 1,500 ft lbs of torque. My friend owns a repair shop in Brooklyn NYC and he rarely uses the 1” impact gun.

flowmaniacscrew 04-26-2009 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Squad808 Fit (Post 542332)
I need help getting my crank pulley off. I tried every possible way to get it off. I already am ghetto riggin it, used air tools (MAC 1/2), breaker bar and 1/2 in extention (ended up bending extention). I already know how to stop the pulley from moving, I JUST CANT CRACK THE BOLT OFF. PLEASE HELP, Which way does the bolt come off?

how did you stop the pulley from moving?

Squad808 Fit 04-26-2009 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by flowmaniacscrew (Post 639626)
how did you stop the pulley from moving?

If you use an impact gun, you dont need to worry about the pulley moving. Just letting you know that the bolt is VERY VERY tight. I couldnt get it off with my compressor, using a diesel impact(gun is very srong), So i took it my friends shop, took it off with ease.

If youre doing it by hand tools, you will need the special honda pulley tool (google it). It holds the pulley by the tool being put over the bolt, connecting the tool to a breaker bar, then you can loosen.

Here's a video: YouTube - Auto Repair - Honda Crank Pulley Tool Use

These are the only ways that are possible without damaging anything. GOODLUCK!:D

flowmaniacscrew 04-26-2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Squad808 Fit (Post 639644)
If you use an impact gun, you dont need to worry about the pulley moving. Just letting you know that the bolt is VERY VERY tight. I couldnt get it off with my compressor, using a diesel impact(gun is very srong), So i took it my friends shop, took it off with ease.

If youre doing it by hand tools, you will need the special honda pulley tool (google it). It holds the pulley by the tool being put over the bolt, connecting the tool to a breaker bar, then you can loosen.

Here's a video: YouTube - Auto Repair - Honda Crank Pulley Tool Use

These are the only ways that are possible without damaging anything. GOODLUCK!:D

oh that tooll. aright, do they sell it anywhere than online?

Squad808 Fit 04-26-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by flowmaniacscrew (Post 639840)
oh that tooll. aright, do they sell it anywhere than online?

Nope, but u can try honda or acura, or even ask someone that might have it on honda-tech to let you borrow, this way you save money. Youre probably going to use it 1 time.

im the fit 04-26-2009 05:32 PM

I torched the bolt for a couple of sec's and used a electric/air tool 200lb and came right off

J_L 01-16-2010 03:10 PM

I'll bump this old thread with a question:

Assuming I get the pulley off with the special hex tool, how to tighten the new pulley that does not have the hex insert? Impact wrench only? I'm kind of leery of wedging something in the pulley hole to hold it while tightening the bolt.

fit2bking 01-17-2010 11:47 AM

Put the tranny in Gear, have a friend apply the brakes
and torque the bolt to specs!

The secret to removing the pulley is to make sure the engine is HoT!
No need for any special tools, use an impact wrench or breaker bar,
again with a hot engine!

J_L 01-17-2010 02:56 PM

Putting my auto in gear isn't going to hold that crank shaft. What have the auto folks done?

fit2bking 01-18-2010 12:25 PM

It should hold, especially if you apply the front brakes!
This is what has always worked for me...I have done
this on 3 fits, all A/t

J_L 01-18-2010 01:14 PM

That's surprising, thanks for the info!

raton 01-18-2010 07:28 PM

My buddy tried using his normal impact gun (650 ft-lb I think)...failed no matter what we tried.

He ended up getting a 1100 ft-lb impact gun (Ohio Power Tool - Ingersoll-Rand 1/2 Inch Titanium Duty Impactool 2135TiMAX)....sucker came off in 4 seconds!