Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

how much can the AT handle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 AM
i love college
how much can the AT handle?

im probably gonna go with the T1R turbo kit.. anyone know how much the AT tranny can handle?

i have headers, cat-back, t1r pully.. all adding horsepower..

with the turbo plus the exhaust, will that be too much for the tranny to handle?

lemme know pleaseee

p.s. i wanna be able to dd this setup and weekend lap..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
felix69 and guiness have the t1r setup with an automatic. neither have dyno numbers but felix is running 8 or 9 psi i believe.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:59 AM
i love college
sweet. im just scared because ill probably be looking at 150 whp and i dont wanna blow the tranny..

that would be a bad day haha

Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
just stick with the stock 4.5psi or maybe upgrade to 6psi for your daily and you should be fine.

if you decide to track it though you gotta pay to play is the saying with modding cars.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM
i love college
alright cool. and this will last me 15000+ miles?
oh and +rep

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
yeah it should. explosivpotatoe has run a boosted fit for +10,000 but he also has a manual. i wouldnt worry about reliability if you keep the boost lower and dont try experimenting with higher boost settings.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 AM
i love college
alright thanks! ill stay between 4.5-6 psi. and ill hopefully be safe

Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
if you dont plan on going with higher boost then you should get the hks turbo kit or the kraftwerks sc. their tunes are less involved than the t1r

Old 01-29-2009, 01:44 AM
i love college
i heard the hks is illegal in california though.. and whats the diff between a turbo and supercharger? arent they pretty much the same?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 AM
i love college
i heard the hks is illegal in california, and whats the diff between a turbo and an sc? i know theyre similar..
sorry.. internet problems lol

Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
turbos connect to the exhaust manifold and run off the exhaust gas which spins the turbine and creates pressure for the intake side. a supercharger runs off a belt that is connected to the crankshaft to create pressure.

here is the break down of all the kits availible

t1r turbo- bigger injectors, cat delete, doesnt pass smog, more tuning, need to wire it.

hks turbo- is carb legal, less tuning, wiring harness is plug in direct with no wiring, but hp numbers are less than the t1r and you need an authorized hks tuner to do any additional tuning.

kraftwerk base kit- keeps cat so it is smog legal but they have not got carb legal yet, hondata reflash for the ecu so no wiring problems. if you are running a full exhaust (header, cat delete, b-pipe, axleback) you will need the injector upgrade package. more power is made by changing the pulley to make more psi and get a new tune.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
couldn't have said it better myself. Kuyler's got you covered, listen to what he says.

Btw a tranny cooler is probably a must. The motor will be fine.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
i love college
thanks guys! and if no certified hks tuner around.. then i should just go with the sc?

and where could i get a tranny cooler?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by keepitpg
thanks guys! and if no certified hks tuner around.. then i should just go with the sc?

HKS kit isn't for AT, its for MT only.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
turbos connect to the exhaust manifold and run off the exhaust gas which spins the turbine and creates pressure for the intake side. a supercharger runs off a belt that is connected to the crankshaft to create pressure.

here is the break down of all the kits availible

t1r turbo- bigger injectors, cat delete, doesnt pass smog, more tuning, need to wire it.

hks turbo- is carb legal, less tuning, wiring harness is plug in direct with no wiring, but hp numbers are less than the t1r and you need an authorized hks tuner to do any additional tuning.

kraftwerk base kit- keeps cat so it is smog legal but they have not got carb legal yet, hondata reflash for the ecu so no wiring problems. if you are running a full exhaust (header, cat delete, b-pipe, axleback) you will need the injector upgrade package. more power is made by changing the pulley to make more psi and get a new tune.
There are tuners not affiliated with HKS that can still tune the F-Con. So it doesn't need to be certified HKS tuners.
What do you mean by more tuning / less tuning?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by keepitpg

look through the last few pages of the kraftwerks thread and you can find out where to get a tranny cooler.

while the info he gave you was good, it doesnt neccesarily apply.

like /\mentioned, the hks is only for the m/t models.

and the honda ecu upgrade is only available for m/t models for the supercharger. however, kraftwerks is making upgraded injectors for the a/t supercharger, which should bring its power levels close to the t1r.

for all out power, the tr1 kit is the way to go, but its also going to be the most involved as far a installing, tuning etc. and turbos are not as reliable on a/t cars as superchargers are, especially s/c's like the rotrex unit.

if you want more power reliably, the kwsc is the way to go.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
i love college
Originally Posted by eldaino
look through the last few pages of the kraftwerks thread and you can find out where to get a tranny cooler.

while the info he gave you was good, it doesnt neccesarily apply.

like /\mentioned, the hks is only for the m/t models.

and the honda ecu upgrade is only available for m/t models for the supercharger. however, kraftwerks is making upgraded injectors for the a/t supercharger, which should bring its power levels close to the t1r.

for all out power, the tr1 kit is the way to go, but its also going to be the most involved as far a installing, tuning etc. and turbos are not as reliable on a/t cars as superchargers are, especially s/c's like the rotrex unit.

if you want more power reliably, the kwsc is the way to go.
ok thanks! +rep! that was helpful

Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Thumbs up

ボルトオンターボキット:FIT(GD3)

there's HKS bolt on turbo kit 4 auto...the link above shows it

Last edited by mugen boi; 06-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Big tranny cooler, AMSoil fluid and Max 6 PSI and it should be fine... Change fluid more often too, Max 25k miles.. :P

Marko!!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:52 AM
you shouldn't even worry about how much hp you are making its all about the torque. See if you can find anything about the torque rating for auto trans in your car and then go about the mods remembering to stay below that level. That or see if level 10 transmission can strengthen the transmission. They seem to be the only place that will even touch import transmissions.

Quick Reply: how much can the AT handle?