Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

LSD with Turbo? what type? all hype?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 AM
LSD with Turbo? what type? all hype?

Hello fellow Fit-Freak-ers..... I will be starting my build in a couple weeks and the time has come to choose a LSD for my turbo fit.

after much research and accumulating parts over the past 2 years my setup consist of yee-fit's turbo kit, weapon r intake manifold, AEM fic, and Water Meth (AEM or Devils Own)

I will be running 10LBS of boost and getting it tuned professorially.

I was considering an EGT gauge, bigger fuel pump, injectors and fuel pressure gauge.

My running Gear will be T1r suspension, BBK and LE-37's 17/7.5 43 offset.

clutch and flywheel will also be upgraded.

I am leaning towards M-factory LSD.

but more importunity what is everyone else running?

LSD or No? What type if you have one? If no, what type would you get?

Thanks for your time and any input would be more than welcome no matter how critical... i can take it

Cheers

Cam

Last edited by CamFit; 07-05-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me like you have done a thorough job of thinking things out and that you will have a fast setup dependable setup with the water methanol adding a margin of safety as well as power..... I tink you might do better off with 15" wheels with the same offset due to the lesser amount of weight of them and the way that would benefit your suspension, brakes and drivetrain.... I use Enkei RPF1 15x7 at 9.5 lbs and the idea of needing a clutch upgrade or LSD hasn't crossed my mind.. I have the KWSC high boost which has has different power band characteristics than a turbo engine so you may find you really need to beef up your clutch and add LSD but with less unsprung weight and rotating mass from lighter wheels and tires I am fine without the extra expense.... Just something you may want to consider looking into.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
Similar boat as you. I am debating between two LSD right now. M-Factory and Synchrotech.

~Robert

Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
id go with MFactory, lots of great reviews from members over here, i goin to get one, but i aint never heard of Synchrotech, i just googled it, and looks similar to Mfactory ones.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM
thanks for the imput, i am sticking with the volks because the BBK kit needs 17's
i got the 17's first then the bbk kit came along and i had to jump. ill post up some pics when i start the build in a couple weeks.

i will be placing the order for the LSD this week

Thanks for your help
Cam

Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
Limited Slip Differential(LSD) do make a pretty good difference in our fit. I can get back on to the throttle around the corner MUCH earlier after I got mine installed. And that helped me a whole lot during winter too. With LSD & snow tires I've only stuck once when we had the bad winter here in Vancouver in 2008. I got myself out without a push within 5min.

I personally do recommend the Mfactory helical LSD unit. Friends & myself's been using their product for quite awhile now and we have no problem so far.

U guys will not go back to a stock open diff once u guys got a LSD installed in your car.

Last edited by spoonek4; 07-18-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Is there anyone hat has installed a LSD on their car by themselves? If so did the job require any special tools or difficult procedures? Otherwise what is the cost of having someone else do the job?... I am considering getting one further on down the road if it will help me out dealing with torque steer.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
My bro & his friends did the work for me. See the link in my signature regarding to LSD+final drive+clutch install.......

Old 07-24-2010, 10:31 PM
My buddy went through two LSD's...J's Racing I believe and MFactory (currently installed). From what I recall, he really liked the J's racing because of the performance it offered and considered the MFactory a downgrade. I believe this is because the J's Racing is a clutch type LSD while the MFactory is a Torsen type.

My .02

Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jexeffectz
My buddy went through two LSD's...J's Racing I believe and MFactory (currently installed). From what I recall, he really liked the J's racing because of the performance it offered and considered the MFactory a downgrade. I believe this is because the J's Racing is a clutch type LSD while the MFactory is a Torsen type.

My .02
Clutch Type LSD is superior in performance vs Torsen Type LSD

~Robert

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
The more I think about limited slip differentials and the cost involved, the more I come to realize that I would be depriving myself of the exercise and rush of fighting the evil force of torque steer..... It is really a lot of fun and somewhat like reeling in a huge catfish while sitting in a very small boat.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
Clutch Type LSD is superior in performance vs Torsen Type LSD

~Robert
I agree...when I rode with my buddy through the twisties, he didn't understeer as much and his exit was much faster with the J's Racing LSD.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The more I think about limited slip differentials and the cost involved, the more I come to realize that I would be depriving myself of the exercise and rush of fighting the evil force of torque steer..... It is really a lot of fun and somewhat like reeling in a huge catfish while sitting in a very small boat.
I really admire your love of driving...

Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member

My .02
I think he posted about changing his setup up here before. He swapped it over to Mfactory just because the J's LSD chatters too much in slow corners. Yes it does perform better but clutch type LSD also wears out MUCH faster. And u have to change transmission oil pretty often. While helical setup like Mfactory or Quaife etc, I only change my tranny oil every year before the lapping season starts. And I don't have to do that really. Coz the fluid looks perfect still when I drained it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by spoonek4
I think he posted about changing his setup up here before. He swapped it over to Mfactory just because the J's LSD chatters too much in slow corners. Yes it does perform better but clutch type LSD also wears out MUCH faster. And u have to change transmission oil pretty often. While helical setup like Mfactory or Quaife etc, I only change my tranny oil every year before the lapping season starts. And I don't have to do that really. Coz the fluid looks perfect still when I drained it.
Yes...that's true, but I think it wears out much faster in a racing environment. The only reason he changed to Mfactory was because of the chatter and noise it was making. HOWEVER, the J's racing LSD requires cusco fluid to be used ONLY, and the previous guys that reinstalled his transmission put some other fluid. Also, before all of that, his mileage was about 3 or 4 thousand miles over the required maintenance interval for gear oil.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
It wears out much faster in general. The J's is a great LSD for a track car. The Mfactory is great for daily driving and weekend track days. I spoke with James when he was thinking of going to the Mfactory. I am boosting close to 12lbs... and the Mfactory has worked great for me, even at the track which I have been doing more and more. I have run clutch type LSD's in previous cars, and they are awesome for the track, but are fairly high maintenance compared to a helical, especially for someone who wont be tracking the car.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
It wears out much faster in general. The J's is a great LSD for a track car. The Mfactory is great for daily driving and weekend track days. I spoke with James when he was thinking of going to the Mfactory. I am boosting close to 12lbs... and the Mfactory has worked great for me, even at the track which I have been doing more and more. I have run clutch type LSD's in previous cars, and they are awesome for the track, but are fairly high maintenance compared to a helical, especially for someone who wont be tracking the car.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to smash on the MFactory (I might get one for my Subie because we don't have front LSDs on the WRX), but from my own research and from what I gathered from his experience, the only reason clutch type LSD's are more high maintenance is because they're more "adjustable" in a sense.

I do agree that the J's Racing is hardly needed for daily driving and is more suited for track use, but that doesn't go to say it's not as good for daily driving as the MFactory is because, essentially, it boils down to the driver/goals/etc. But judging from the OP, it looks like the car is being setup to be track ready...and therefore I suggest going with a more "hardcore" setup anyway if the OP is so inclined to get an LSD anyway. In doing so, the car can still be daily driven just fine while it sees ample track time.

In all honesty, if the car will see ample track time while being daily driven, I'd still replace gear oil as a pre-track maintenance criteria anyway, but that's just me.

*note-adjustable is put in quotes for lack of a better word

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to smash on the MFactory (I might get one for my Subie because we don't have front LSDs on the WRX), but from my own research and from what I gathered from his experience, the only reason clutch type LSD's are more high maintenance is because they're more "adjustable" in a sense.

I do agree that the J's Racing is hardly needed for daily driving and is more suited for track use, but that doesn't go to say it's not as good for daily driving as the MFactory is because, essentially, it boils down to the driver/goals/etc. But judging from the OP, it looks like the car is being setup to be track ready...and therefore I suggest going with a more "hardcore" setup anyway if the OP is so inclined to get an LSD anyway. In doing so, the car can still be daily driven just fine while it sees ample track time.

In all honesty, if the car will see ample track time while being daily driven, I'd still replace gear oil as a pre-track maintenance criteria anyway, but that's just me.

*note-adjustable is put in quotes for lack of a better word
Yea it really depends on how much street driving the OP is gonna do, and of course, what kinda budget he has. All these tranny fluid made by Motul, ATS, Cusco, Kaaz, Endless ain't cheap. Yeah no doubt if I don't drive my fit all that often I would request MF to get me a 1way clutch type LSD coz I would prefer to have better response & maximum power transfer on my POS around corners. But since I do drive my fit quite a bit everyday in the city helical unit work better for me.

It's just like running R compounds on your car. They're grippy in dry condition but sucks when it rains. Same as the LSD. U just cant get all the advantages at the same time. It sure is a tough choice coz it's not as easy as swapping tires.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
jeebus...i re-read my post...i'm quite repetitive with words aren't I?..lol

Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
The difference in price is quite steep, not to mention all the after install cost's

Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CamFit
The difference in price is quite steep, not to mention all the after install cost's
That's why I recommend u to get a Mfactory helical unit. It's more trouble free. Getting a KAAZ/SPOON/Cusco/J's clutch type LSD is like using race parts on street. They react fast indeed but a lil too hardcore for everyday use.

Quick Reply: LSD with Turbo? what type? all hype?