Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Spec Clutch Stage 3+ installed! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/59330-spec-clutch-stage-3-installed.html)

555sexydrive 02-23-2012 08:38 PM

Hey Jeremy, finally having the Stage 4 4puck installed this coming week. The final drive was delayed from MFactory so I wasn't able to install prior to my event over at Suzuka. Super overkill for the Fit, but in reality, I believe even the Stage1 is somewhat overkill with the Fit's power levels. :)

DiamondStarMonsters 02-23-2012 08:54 PM

Do you have anything for the L15A1 that can consistently hold more than 300lb-ft?

555sexydrive 02-23-2012 09:48 PM

DSM, their stage 3+ holds up to 1100lbs and the 4 and 5 are 1300lbs, at least this is the information David provided me.

DiamondStarMonsters 02-23-2012 10:10 PM

Is that perhaps the pressure plate rating?

There's no way that 3+ BlueCell posted up could hold up to 1100lb-ft torque.. at the ground or the flywheel.

I've had clutches for my old truck and a triple disk setup for a race car that were rated for >1000lb-ft ...

I mean I would be delighted to be wrong on this one as I would never have to upgrade again lol

The stocker has seen almost 39k hard miles now, and want to leave it as a fuse for the compounds in order to save my gearset/diff/cv shafts.

But it can't have much life left. It already survived a couple track days and one turbo setup. But this one, on paper at least, has the ability to kick out a truly hard to believe amount of torque over a very wide rev range. Easily more than 500lb-ft peak and more than 350 over more than 5k of the total rev range once the big cam is in.

So until I have the funds for a solution for the rest of the drive train.. I think 300wtq will be my medium term limit.. and I'll have to roll into it as well.

Probably will not be doing any launching on this setup, at least not for a long time.

555sexydrive 02-23-2012 11:06 PM

It very well could be. Hopefully Jeremy can chime in once again on this thread and set the record straight. That's why with the numbers he provided I said OVERKILL for a Fit. :) My ORC carbon single was only rated for like 300lb-ft and was a real pleasure. I asked ORC if they would consider making something for the GE, no interest. :( Really not many options for the Fit when it comes to clutches, I'm guessing because most of the ones purchased have that autotragic thing going on. So I'm thankful that SPEC at least has stepped up to take a few swings on the GD and GE.

SPEC-01 02-24-2012 09:31 AM

555, I think you may be referencing clamp-load, not torque capacity. It would take one of our Super-Twin multi-discs to handle this kind of torque and that would never fit in your bell-housing. I will post capacities for both gens of the Fit shortly. Sorry for the delay. We have been covered up, which is great but it means that it takes more time to get things like this posted!

As for the Stage 4, it is great for a car that sees mostly track use (or for drivers that understand that it will be more on and off in terms of engagement and are ok with that). It is lighter (due to its pucked design and lack of a sprung-hub) which means it has less rotational mass and will allow the trans to shift more quickly. We can build this unit in both 4-puck and 3-puck variants.

SPEC-01 02-24-2012 09:46 AM

Capacity Info

Our ratings are conservative but this is the safest way to go. We are currently working on some options that will be even stronger but I can't provide details at this time. Once available I will post more information here.

Torque Capacities by Generation.
First Gen Fit (GD) no Stage 3 is available for this application due to size limitations.
SH411 115lb.-ft
SH412 135lb.-ft
SH413H 150lb.-ft
SH413F 185lb.-ft
SH414 160lb.-ft
SH415 225lb.-ft

Second Gen Fit (GE)
SH411-2 150lb.-ft
SH412-2 170lb.-ft
SH413H-2 190lb.-ft
SH413-2 205lb.-ft
SH413F-2 235lb.-ft
SH414-2 205lb.-ft
SH415-2 290lb.-ft

DiamondStarMonsters 02-24-2012 10:17 AM

225lb-ft is it huh? Damn.

Anyway you could fashion a smaller version of something Quartermaster's compact Twin disk v-drive for the GDs? Bonus difficulty: I need something that won't drag north of 10k rpm.

I don't really care about "streetability" which is subjective anyways. Ive had a dogbox/triple carbon-carbon DD before lol

I just need something that won't cry uncle the moment I roll into boost, let alone try to launch on a 24.5 or 26 inch slick.

What on earth possessed you guys to make a 290lb clutch for the GE? haha

SPEC-01 02-24-2012 10:25 AM

We actually build 7.25" mini-twin assemblies of our own. But, how many of these cars will ever need a kit with a capacity of 800lb.-ft? Another option may be to use a single-disc version of the 7.25" mini, which will be even lighter but again how many folks will buy this? It becomes a questions of demand supporting supply.

DiamondStarMonsters 02-24-2012 10:35 AM

Trust me, I totally understand the economics behind it when so few will ever even approach 225lb-ft

But I need something that can put up with it.

I have some time while I am figuring out how to make the gearset and diff survive it, but eventually I want to be able to get some full boost runs in after the switch to methanol sometime next year.

As I said I am using the stocker as a fuse right now. Its already been abused so I will be forced to change it out sooner or later, and I don't feel like doing it more than I have too

I was looking to give you guys the business because you seem to support the Fit community, but I can always go to SouthBend, ACT, QM, etc too if its not worth it to you for just one car.

Which again, I can appreciate. No hard feelings if that is the case.

SouthBend and QuarterMaster had made me a couple custom units for my DSM when ACT wouldn't, and they work closely with that community, so I support them for it. Just like I would be more than happy to work with you guys when the time comes and give you my business for the GD.

No rush, just want to plant the seed and get some preliminary feedback

SPEC-01 02-24-2012 11:16 AM

DSM, I get the feeling that you may have missed my earlier post. As mentioned, we are working on a higher capacity unit that will actually surpass your torque requirements (and provide better drivability than a small diameter twin disc).

Additionally, in looking further at the dimensions associated with this application (specifically the room within the bellhousing) you would be limited to a 5.5" twin versus the 7.25". This would not be the most driver friendly of options...but as you stated, you are fine with more aggressive kits that lack the street-friendly nature that most folks hope to maintain in street driven cars.

DiamondStarMonsters 02-24-2012 11:49 AM

Ah my misunderstanding, thanks for clarifying. Was the 800lb-ft capacity quoted the anticipated figure for this unit? The smaller diameter clutch pack would be acceptable to me, as you have noted.

Thanks again!

SPEC-01 02-24-2012 11:58 AM

The 800lb.-ft reference was relative to the 7.25" mini-twin. The 5.5" unit would have a lower capacity but should still be over 500lb.-ft. As for the single-disc I didn't supply capacity info because it is not yet available. Once it is I will update the info posted here. Thanks!

555sexydrive 02-29-2012 04:06 AM

This unsprung 4 puck is very easy. Just picked the car up and maybe it's just me, but I can't really tell a difference between the stocker and it as far as easibility goes. Diff break-in in 300km and the clutch an additional 500km.

devmail 10-27-2017 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive (Post 1078702)
This unsprung 4 puck is very easy. Just picked the car up and maybe it's just me, but I can't really tell a difference between the stocker and it as far as easibility goes. Diff break-in in 300km and the clutch an additional 500km.

Good to know!

Spec, any updates on this new application? Look at me acting like I'm going to make over 225 ft lbs...:rotfl: