Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

oil change drain valve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
oil change drain valve!!!

hey guys
just wondering if this actually work ?
will it seal and maintain pressure completely ?
how safe is it ?
n will it fit the L15 or K20 motor ?

thanks

Valve with Adapter (S2000, Prelude, '99+ 4cyl Acuras) Honda S2000 Oil Drain Valve [] - $29.99 : JS2k.com S2000 Accessories

here is the DIY vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVmq8...layer_embedded

Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 PM
I may be wrong but I think the oil pressure is at the filter, if that is not sealed properly you will spit all the oil out in seconds, so based on that assumption yes it should work.Don't hold me too it though

Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not a big fan on low slung vehicles as you are just that more likely to damage or rip it off somehow...and that can obviously get real ugly in a hurry.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
i bought one from here FUMOTO ENGINEERING works great! not sure about the oil pressure thing, so far no probs though..

Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 AM
what happens to the minute metal shavings? what catches them?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
hey guys
just wondering if this actually work ?
will it seal and maintain pressure completely ?
how safe is it ?
n will it fit the L15 or K20 motor ?

thanks

Valve with Adapter (S2000, Prelude, '99+ 4cyl Acuras) Honda S2000 Oil Drain Valve [] - $29.99 : JS2k.com S2000 Accessories

here is the DIY vid
YouTube - JS2k.com Drain Valve
i know the fumitomo one works with both the k20 and l15.
i used one on my SI a few years ago.

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
the oil filter?
and if your routinely getting metal shavings in your oil, especially that are larger than can flow out of the valve, you have alot more problems to worry about than a simple oil change.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 AM
^^ I guess I have to agree but that's after I get my 1st and 2nd oil change. I can be such a "paranoid" bish LOL

Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by suketoborudo00
i bought one from here FUMOTO ENGINEERING works great! not sure about the oil pressure thing, so far no probs though..
agreed have one on all 3 of my cars. makes oil changes a breeze, now only if we could make the oil filter less messy..

Amsoil, Fumoto, Espar Products

this is where i bought mine from. also a great resource for amsoil.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I have seen alot of customer have them on diff kind of cars. I'm not a big fan of it tho. I rather have a magnetic drain plug. I'm using a BLOX racing on my fit

Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Fumoto drain valve with the nipple and it makes changing the oil very cleaned and controlled when I attach a tube directing it right into the tub.

How well does the magnetic drain plug work on catching ferrous metals in our engines? I don't think that we have that much iron or steel in our engines, so how much would the magnetic drain plug work?

I just think we would be fine running our engines before the oil change to mix up any metal, if any, into the oil and drain it before the metal has a chance to settle out to the bottom of the pan

Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
seriously this is just lazy

Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by TunaDaMan
I have a Fumoto drain valve with the nipple and it makes changing the oil very cleaned and controlled when I attach a tube directing it right into the tub.

How well does the magnetic drain plug work on catching ferrous metals in our engines? I don't think that we have that much iron or steel in our engines, so how much would the magnetic drain plug work?

I just think we would be fine running our engines before the oil change to mix up any metal, if any, into the oil and drain it before the metal has a chance to settle out to the bottom of the pan

I've seen cars with bad rod or main bearings... there's alot of shaving. but from a normal oil change... alot of times the oil filter catches most of it... but then... $15 bux for a magnetic drain plug is not bad at all for a piece of mind.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I like the magnetic drain plugs. I have two on my 911. They will pick-up ferrous material smaller than you will be able to find in the bottom of the drain pan. 11 quarts per change.

It is a good idea to run the engine and warm the oil before changing it. The oil will flow better warm and it will carry away more contaminants in suspension. Under normal conditions there should be no pressure in your oil pan.

You can also get an oil filter magnet that sticks to the outside of the filter and is reusable. It helps remove the material, but not easy for you to analyze.

Oil Filter Magnet by Filtermag and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Old 11-02-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
For my peace of mind I just made an oil filter magnet of my own https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...er-magnet.html hopefully it'll work pretty well since I won't be able to see inside the filter unless I cut it open. If anything I like this option since I have a larger area to work with. I can always add more magnets to make to wrap around the circumference of the filter, make it taller and cover the length or both.

Originally Posted by SExDEVIN
I've seen cars with bad rod or main bearings... there's alot of shaving. but from a normal oil change... alot of times the oil filter catches most of it... but then... $15 bux for a magnetic drain plug is not bad at all for a piece of mind.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I used a Fram SpeedDrain or QuickDrain (forgot the name) on my prior car and it worked just fine. Instead of a lever like this it came with something that you screwed into the replacement plug, and had a hose on the end. I didn't bother using the hose but screwing something into the plug was less messy than taking the plug out.

And to alleviate paranoia it also came with a cap you could screw over the plug, just in case somehow the valve failed.

Alas, Fram stopped making them. No problems with them, they told me, they just didn't sell enough to make it worth the bother.

So- does the Fit come with a magnetic drain plug or do I have to go buy one? And then try to convince the dealer to install it at the first (free) oil change...

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne

So- does the Fit come with a magnetic drain plug or do I have to go buy one? And then try to convince the dealer to install it at the first (free) oil change...
No it is a standard oil drain plug.

Gold Plug - Automotive Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs Car Truck Ford Chevy Nissan Toyota Honda Plug

Is where I have purchased mine from. Have been running with one in my 94 accord for past 7 years and put one in my Fit during the first oil change.

Here is my magnetic oil drain plug during my Fits 2nd oil change (approx 7K miles)

Didn't capture a lot which is a good thing.

I figure if my transmission has one why not my engine

Clay

Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
If you have magnet wrap around your oil filter and use this oil drain valve, it should be OK since most of metal will stay in your oil filter.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
This: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/sto...nce/filter.jpg

Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM
be very careful using these quick drain valves if you ever plan to dyno your car. My friend had one on his xA and when they strapped him to the dyno on the 3rd or 4th ratchet oil suddenly poured out from under his car. Probably a one in a million chance of the strap hitting it just right like it did his, but it definitely ruined the dyno day we had going on (glad I went before him hahaha)

Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Fomoto valve, you can put a fuel line clamp on it to "lock" it closed. Even without a clamp, it's pretty hard to open.

Quick Reply: oil change drain valve!!!