Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

wat to improve more hp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:30 PM
wat to improve more hp?

hi guys,

yes i know fit is not really meant to be a fast sports car...but i just want more hp into the L15 motor lol. must not be forced induction or enginr swap

Old 12-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by l15aboi
hi guys,

yes i know fit is not really meant to be a fast sports car...but i just want more hp into the L15 motor lol. must not be forced induction or enginr swap
NOS. Lots of it at low rpm.

Edit: because nobody noticed this was sarcasm. Do not do this.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-09-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
NOS. Lots of it at low rpm.

haha would be awesome, gay thing is nos is illegal in to australia lol

Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
turbo or engine swap

Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
cold air intake, takeda is a great brand and short ram intake. and you can swap out the exhaust from your headers back. megan racing has a pretty good deal for headers midpipe and exhaust for ~$700

Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM
In the free to little cost department!!

-Denso IK20 plugs... IK22 if modified! (Breathe better then the factory long ones!)
-Adjust your valves! (Breathe better!)
-0w20 AMSoil or Redline Synthetic oil! (Reduced friction!)

Marko!!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Very light wheels will do as much or more than the same amount of money spent on modifications to the engine... What DOHCtor said would be next and in addition to what he said about the Denso IK22 spark plugs, being a colder heat range your ignition timing will advance more.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Best thing to do is just improve handling components and lighten the car as much as possible.

Any bolt on performance mods will yield you little to no HP gains at all without and ECU reflash or new mapping.

It sucks, but the Fit's computer wants you to save gas, not win races,

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by 2Legit2Fit
Best thing to do is just improve handling components and lighten the car as much as possible.

Any bolt on performance mods will yield you little to no HP gains at all without and ECU reflash or new mapping.

It sucks, but the Fit's computer wants you to save gas, not win races,
Well, i've had some gains with my Fujita SRI and IK22 plugs (About a full second at the quater mile!) but it seems like my Header and exhaust were a little too much for the stock programming!! The ECM learned something was wrong as the difference between the car before and after i installed the Header and Axleback was something like 0.1MPH at the strip, but the difference at the moment i installed them was night and day! I did some WOT passes at the same place just before and after i installed them... Nothing too scientific, just starting at a certain stop sign and watching the speed at a specific point... It was faster! Just too bad it's tapering down later! Unplugging the negative post of the battery is worth about .3sec now.... At least it's still helping somewhat on torque as the car pulls more going uphill!

I agree about weight reduction as removing rear seats and spare tire on my car is worth about half a second on the quarter mile!! I wonder what it would be with über-light wheels, a lighter pulley and lighter body parts!

Marko!!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 01-10-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
The change you get with 15"Enkei RPF1's is amazing.. It really changes the way the car feels, accelerates steers, rides, handles and stops. ... Oscar Jackson Sr. said putting lighter wheels was the best thing short of boost that you could do to improve performance on a Fit.... Pulling out the back seat made more of a difference than I was expecting. The really amazing thing about it is how much higher the ass end of my car is without them.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 AM
would adding a SSR , header 4,2,1, the whole exhaust pipes....do some good???

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by ching1206
The fit's stack exhaust holds a lot of back pressure so yes adding exhaust from the headers back would do some major good. Are you planning on ever going forced induction? because if you are those headers will do for now but when you go FI they won't fit and you'll need the turbo exhaust manifold.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
You will get more performance from changing the stock wheels and tires for light weight after market ones than any exhaust or exhaust changes.... A home made SRI and free flowing axle helps some after the wheels and tires since the small loss of low end torque from these will be offset by the huge reduction of rotating mass that can be achieved by carefully shopping for wheels and tires based on finding the lightest you can put on your car even if it means using some of a smaller diameter.... They will make your car ride, handle, stop and steer like a sports car and acceleration and fuel mileage will also improve considerably.... If you still want more acceleration and speed after doing the lighter wheel and tire thing, you are going to have to go with some form of boost and start stripping out some of the interior.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
A quality header combined with a high-flow cat and 2'' catback should net some gains... Even more if combined with other free flowing parts like a Cold-Air intake, improved intake manifold and, in the L15A1's case, a quality set of spark plugs! Just keep in mind that if the engine breathes well, it may\will need some kind of ECU programming or sightly bigger injectors because the L15A1's ECU is ''speed density'' based! That means it will read manifold pressure\vacuum to adjust air\fuel ratio based on the quantity of air that can pass thru it in stock trim (MAP voltages) VS. the RPM and throttle opening angle, so it will not compensate for the improved airflow at WOT as it doesn't care how much air pass thru the motor but only what the MAP (pressure) sensor will tell him! As you may imagine, a stock engine will breathe with more difficulty thru a myriad of resonators, small pipes and stock muffler then it would thru a properly designed intake and exhaust system, but in both cases the ECU will see the same thing because at WOT the intake manifold's pressure will be nearly atmospheric... Also, contrary to common belief, the ECU is ignoring the AFR sensor at WOT!

Marko!!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 02-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
A quality header combined with a high-flow cat and 2'' catback should net some gains... Even more if combined with other free flowing parts like a Cold-Air intake, improved intake manifold and, in the L15A1's case, a quality set of spark plugs! Just keep in mind that if the engine breathes well, it may\will need some kind of ECU programming or sightly bigger injectors because the L15A1's ECU is ''speed density'' based! That means it will read manifold pressure\vacuum to adjust air\fuel ratio based on the quantity of air that can pass thru it in stock trim (MAP voltages) VS. the RPM and throttle opening angle, so it will not compensate for the improved airflow at WOT as it doesn't care how much air pass thru the motor but only what the MAP (pressure) sensor will tell him! As you may imagine, a stock engine will breathe with more difficulty thru a myriad of resonators, small pipes and stock muffler then it would thru a properly designed intake and exhaust system, but in both cases the ECU will see the same thing because at WOT the intake manifold's pressure will be nearly atmospheric... Also, contrary to common belief, the ECU is ignoring the AFR sensor at WOT!

Marko!!
Exactly right!

It is running off the Open Loop tables for its timing and target AFRs. With Speed Density the MAP sensor determines "load" based on the VE table and engine speed.

Load is defined as actual air mass in grams per cylinder, per revolution.

Then the Intake Air Temperature sensor helps select a correction factor for the VE table, which helps further narrow down which parts of which tables to use.

Then you have the knock sensor keeping on eye on things, allowing you to run as aggressive as possible on the fuel and weather available.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM
lol i have no clue what u guys just said..

cuz im planning to get a header (4-2-1), then the pipes...and a short ram intake (DIY or not)

would that kinda do somekind of gain??? couple horsess??? speed the car up a bit??

i get the part where if i dont get reprogram the ecu...i wont be able to get the full potential of the mods??
cuz the computer limits the car???!!!
right?

question...
are the usdm fits CVT??

Last edited by ching1206; 02-10-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
lol i have no clue what u guys just said..

cuz im planning to get a header (4-2-1), then the pipes...and a short ram intake (DIY or not)

would that kinda do somekind of gain??? couple horsess??? speed the car up a bit??

i get the part where if i dont get reprogram the ecu...i wont be able to get the full potential of the mods??
cuz the computer limits the car???!!!
right?

question...
are the usdm fits CVT??
USDM fits have a 5MT or 5AT, no CVT!

Putting a Header, exhaust and intake will do some good (I have the same mods and it feels torquier than before!) but you'll be leaving some power on the table without a tune of some sort!! In fact, the computer is not limiting the car by itself, but the fact is, it will always think the car is stock and won't compensate at WOT! Just so you know, stock AFR are in the range of 11:0 (11 parts of air for 1 part of fuel in mass!) at WOT as a safety measure! Now on my car, it's at a steady 13.2:1 after putting an axleback, DC Header, NGK Iridium plugs and Fujita SRI! It will compensate at part throttle but it won't at wide open throttle!!

So, will you get more power? Yes! Will you get even more power with some tuning? Yes!

Marko!!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Changine to a colder spark plug will not add horsepower unless you are knocking with the ones that are currently in your engine. Engines dont normally knock unless something is wrong. Its not like your engine knocks every day and then the ECU retards timing because of it. The factory iridiums are perfectly fine.

Also, a certain large honda tuning company will be coming out with something for the fit this year for tuning......

Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by kirko
Changine to a colder spark plug will not add horsepower unless you are knocking with the ones that are currently in your engine. Engines dont normally knock unless something is wrong. Its not like your engine knocks every day and then the ECU retards timing because of it. The factory iridiums are perfectly fine.

This is demonstrably false, actually.

Especially with the number of people who run 87, many from low traffic and/or no name stations.

The ECU doesn't have to detect knock to retard timing either. This is where those cooler plugs come in, they basically simulate a higher quality fuel.

They keep the combustion chamber cooler and allow for leaner conditions and more ignition advance. More so with non-projected, colder plugs.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
USDM fits have a 5MT or 5AT, no CVT!

Putting a Header, exhaust and intake will do some good (I have the same mods and it feels torquier than before!) but you'll be leaving some power on the table without a tune of some sort!! In fact, the computer is not limiting the car by itself, but the fact is, it will always think the car is stock and won't compensate at WOT! Just so you know, stock AFR are in the range of 11:0 (11 parts of air for 1 part of fuel in mass!) at WOT as a safety measure! Now on my car, it's at a steady 13.2:1 after putting an axleback, DC Header, NGK Iridium plugs and Fujita SRI! It will compensate at part throttle but it won't at wide open throttle!!

So, will you get more power? Yes! Will you get even more power with some tuning? Yes!

Marko!!
Oh thanks..i kinda get it now...

lucky usdm...mine is 1.5 cvt....lol funny u dont hear the change gear sound...it just goes..."weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
no matter how fast...lol...

ima dyno my car be4 i get the mods....see whats the actual stock whp vs the cheap china knock offs header and exhaust.....

probably get all the mods under 200cad/usd...lol

Last edited by ching1206; 02-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: wat to improve more hp?