Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

New to forum and to tuning...Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:10 PM
New to forum and to tuning...Need suggestions

Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of a Honda Fit in the US. I am new to tuning of cars, but really want to tune up my Fit. I don't want 500 HP, just a boost of more than I have now. I would eventually like to get up to 200 HP. I was thinking about the K&N filter kit, but would need to know where to get it. I was browsing on line and saw the Honda Sport muffler and was wondering if it is worth it.

I know that I should probably add headers and upgrade the exhaust, but want to start out slow for now. I have a budget of $1000.00 us dollars for now.

What can I do and get the most bang for the buck?

Keep in mind that I want to use good quality parts that I could possibly install myself.

Thank you for the help.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Check out many of the threads already in the forum and also the vendor section. A CAI(cold air intake) and some hanling mods will help alot. Then add aheader and exhaust. Just remenber the more HP you will need to upgrade other parts as well like brakes clutches etc. Just have fun.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
you're not going to be making 200hp anytime soon with the motor found in the Fit. Your best bet is to work on your handling and some basic intake/exhaust mods. I would recommend picking up some strut bars and then a high flow air filter and an exhaust. I'll send you a pm with more details.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Thank You...

Originally Posted by john@bp
you're not going to be making 200hp anytime soon with the motor found in the Fit. Your best bet is to work on your handling and some basic intake/exhaust mods. I would recommend picking up some strut bars and then a high flow air filter and an exhaust. I'll send you a pm with more details.
Thank You John. I will look into the exhaust and air filter, and strut bars as you recomended. Any Idea on the HP gain from this? Do I need to modify anything else if I do this, or is the car fine for now. Are these easy to install?

I also wanted to ask about a kit such as the HKS Racing intake or K&N. Are they worth it?

How much gain do you think I can get with my existing engine?

Thank You.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank You. I will take things step by step and see what happens. Do you reccomend bigger wheels and tires also? Sometimes, even with the stocke engine, I spin the tires in 1st.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:35 PM
air filter plus catback may net you 5hp peak. i don't know of anyone that has dynoed a fit yet. wheels and better tires will make a big difference. at this point right now i don't think i could say the hks suction kit for example is worth it as i have yet to see one on a north american fit. as soon as someone steps up to the plate and orders one then i can see the fitment of it. the spoon filter though should be a good piece for anyone retaining the stock airbox.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Former Vendor
Fujita does make a CAI and it has been dynoproven to make 5-6whp. I have also seen dynoplots on USDM fit with I/H/E making another 12-15whp total which is pretty good imo.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
I belive that I/H/E will be good but don't expect the car to turn into a civicSi. You'll find yourself having tons of fun and desperate for more. but then again light wheels (I prefer to stay 15's) should give you improvements you would not expect from a non-engine mod. There are some prety light wheels out there, some really inexpensive, some way ridiculously expensive, but great name. Anyway you should step by step increase the engine power as you can, but definitively have to explote the virtues of the Fit's handling and you'll find your self having fun in a great mean handling machine.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
keep the rims you got, or pick up some lightweight ones.. basic mods.. intake, exhaust.. ground wires.. you will be rockin..

Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Thank You everyone for the help. I had another question, Does anyone know how much the stock 14" wheels on the base US spec fit weigh? I was browsing tire rack and think I want to change out the wheels and tires along the the IHE upgrades I will be doing.

Once that is done, I will cool it for a while and work on the sound system. I may add a car computer.