Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Increase power with new engine or mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Question Increase power with new engine or mods

OK, first thread posted here... please be gentle...

Please tell me what would it take (and what it would likely cost) to get a new engine (or modifications to original engine) to get 130-150 hp out of my 2009 Fit Sport (automatic transmission).

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out if I should modify my Fit, which I love, except for the lack of acceleration, or if I should invest in a new car of other make and model (not looking forward to that).

Before you laugh and point to other threads, I will say that I do not work on cars. Sorry guys, but I'm a chick, and not "mechanically inclined". I need to find a shop that would do the work for me. Yes, I will be one of those people who drive up say "do it boys" and open my wallet (no sarcasm please). I've read some of threads that describe mods in a vocabulary that is as foreign to me as Swahili (not helping).

What I want....
* more zoom from my Fit - I have trouble accelarating, especially while hauling stuff
* a reputable shop that won't rip off a newbie who has no experience

What I don't want...
* not interested in racing, aggressive cornering, ripping out the back seats, non-standard fuels, illegal anything, or bragging rights
* (seriously) I will never open the hood and point to anything to impress my friends, and they wouldn't understand the Swahili on this web site either
* loss of mpg - I got a Fit to haul my **** without spending an arm and leg on gas
* I cannot drive to LA (or NY, or Chicago, etc) to get my car worked on. Not afraid to say I live in Baton Rouge, LA and I need some place within reasonable range

Thank you for any constructive input.

Y

Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Use the paddle shifters, shift later!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Bring your car to me lol

Where in baton rouge are you?

As for your questions I know you could probably get Hybrid racing to K Swap it but that will cost $$. Bolt ons are simple but wont net you nearly what you want and will be negated in time by the ECU.

If anyone can suggest stuff that's in my install ability I'll install it for you for a 6 pack to be honest. I know there aren't many shops in the area that do the install stuff (none that I would trust at least) so I do all my stuff myself.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
I speak Swahili. To be honest you could bolt on every go fast goodie short of a forced induction (was going to speak Swahili there) and it will still be lethargic. So why are you not trying to set land speed records in your 1.5 liter hot rod. It's always fun to point at parts and brag. On a serious note maybe a throttle controller might help you into thinking your going faster sort off.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 AM
hmmm... suggestion: a piggyback and a good tuning might do the trick of giving you more power for hauling stuff without sucking up your gas too much... but, i think if the dealer found out you use piggyback than there goes your warranty... of course there's a harness for plug and play available, so whenever you go to a dealer, just take off the piggyback..

Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Last time I was in BR I got a speeding ticket for going 65 on the freeway i'm not sure where you're trying to go so fast.

On topic, for you, I think a custom small turbo would be the best option if you don't have to deal with emissions inspections or anything. Could probably be done around $2-3k. Won't need race gas or anything, will just have to use premium instead of regular.

You will have to find a shop to install it of course, there's no reputable shops in NO that could do it for you? I know it's a little drive but I can't imagine there being very many in BR. Maybe local FF can chime in on that.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Last time I was in BR I got a speeding ticket for going 65 on the freeway i'm not sure where you're trying to go so fast.

On topic, for you, I think a custom small turbo would be the best option if you don't have to deal with emissions inspections or anything. Could probably be done around $2-3k. Won't need race gas or anything, will just have to use premium instead of regular.

You will have to find a shop to install it of course, there's no reputable shops in NO that could do it for you? I know it's a little drive but I can't imagine there being very many in BR. Maybe local FF can chime in on that.
65? Damn you must have been here on a bad day lol. I hit 90 on a regular basis

I'm not sure of anywhere here that would do a turbo install. Even in Nola. BTW there are only 3 or 4 people on here from Louisiana. I'm the only active one lol.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Chicks can work on cars too, its kinda hot actually! A wrench doesn't care what you've got between your legs lol

*creep mode off*

130-150whp? Whats your budget?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
*creep mode off*

130-150whp? Whats your budget?
Man of the hour right here. I'm guessing a small turbo build with <10 lbs of boost.

I'll see what I can find for installers local in case this actually takes off.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
65? Damn you must have been here on a bad day lol. I hit 90 on a regular basis
I was on that long ass bridge going from NO to BR in a rental, as soon as the trooper saw my CA DL he whipped his book out hahahaha

Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Man of the hour right here. I'm guessing a small turbo build with <10 lbs of boost.

I'll see what I can find for installers local in case this actually takes off.
More or less, OP could keep it real basic with those goals. There's about a thousand ways to skin that cat depending on what she wants.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I was on that long ass bridge going from NO to BR in a rental, as soon as the trooper saw my CA DL he whipped his book out hahahaha
Ah yeah that particular stretch can be a pain. Last time I got pulled over on there was last Mardi Gras. Cop knew me and told me to slow down and get out of there. Lol

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
More or less, OP could keep it real basic with those goals. There's about a thousand ways to skin that cat depending on what she wants.
Let's see what we get then lol I'm kinda excited. This is the first thing even remotely local to me! :vtech:

Old 05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey I noticed that no one has said anything about removing the cylinder head!! Simple porting, ie, matching up both manifolds, inlet & exhaust to the head ports, can make a huge difference. Also removing any obstruction in the port itself, thinning the valve guide supports for instance, will get AIR in, and the EXHAUST out quicker...

Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rogbro
Hey I noticed that no one has said anything about removing the cylinder head!! Simple porting, ie, matching up both manifolds, inlet & exhaust to the head ports, can make a huge difference. Also removing any obstruction in the port itself, thinning the valve guide supports for instance, will get AIR in, and the EXHAUST out quicker...
you sir have never owned a fit. it can't be done without the ECU taking over and slowing everything back down. the ONLY way to get more power from these engines is FI and that's only if the ECU is once again reflashed/replaced (read: MOTEC only) once opened up, then you *could* do head work. but for this lady's budget a turbo will be the best option.

has anyone here even tried opening the head up? aside from cams, can we port the intake/exhaust ports? last i heard the l15a had wafer thin walls... but i don't know if they remedied that on the l15a7

Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by wontfit
you sir have never owned a fit. it can't be done without the ECU taking over and slowing everything back down. the ONLY way to get more power from these engines is FI and that's only if the ECU is once again reflashed/replaced (read: MOTEC only) once opened up, then you *could* do head work. but for this lady's budget a turbo will be the best option.

has anyone here even tried opening the head up? aside from cams, can we port the intake/exhaust ports? last i heard the l15a had wafer thin walls... but i don't know if they remedied that on the l15a7
mine is L15A1 pnp'd both on intake/exhaust ports and also on the valve. True regarding the wafer thin walls, but then again as with every pnp job: you need to know where to port. And you are correct again, that we need to fool the ECU in some way. I use piggyback to adjust the timing and afr. Another note that i added a lower temp thermostat as well as a water temp gauge since the head will lose some of its ability to release heat. So temperature will be crucial once you do pnp on L15 head.

But i think we're straying from the OP point of not too complicated engine mods?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
It's just a sorry ass shame that Honda doesn't build a boosted Fit and offer more than the 2 transmission and model options... There is an open wheel racing class built around the L-15 engine but I never hear anything about that anymore.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
from what I have hurd is that turbo kits are bad for a/t probably better off with the krafwerk sc right???

Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by lakia5524
from what I have hurd is that turbo kits are bad for a/t probably better off with the krafwerk sc right???
Kraftworks doesn't make a SC for the GE sadly

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
AT Tranny im down haha when flashpro comes out

Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
The one successfully built GE turbo in the US that I know of is an AT. The build thread is on here if you search. There are GD AT's over seas putting down 200+ whp.

I'll say it again... IF you want to go FI, contact DSM...

Quick Reply: Increase power with new engine or mods