Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Engine swap vs. turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Engine swap vs. turbo?

Im wondering what would be more practical an engine swap or a turbo or some sort of force induction? My buddy wants to get a fit but wants more power........... So I was thinking that since for a turbo kit its roughly 4,000$ just for the kit not the engine work and the forged parts that a swap would be better and could be done for 4,000$ completely and with the reliability of the engine would be that of a stock honda's. So I was curious of the costs of a full turbo/forced induction set up, and types of engines like k20 or b16? Or, maybe for that straight through axel in the rear a rwd car as well? at least im happy the way it is

Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
tell your friend if he wants more power, he shouldn't buy a fit

Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Tagged to see where this thread goes.

My friend "Gettinafit" is seriously considering an engine swap for his M/T Fit Sport and I'm looking to do a turbo or supercharger upgrade to my A/T Fit Sport as soon as a kit becomes available.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I would personally do a swap then if I still wanted power tubo the new K.. the thing is that if anything goes wrong with your turbo its goin to cost you some big bucks! same with NOS.. just doing an engine swap will be more reliable and i think less prone to explode!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I would personally do a swap then if I still wanted power tubo the new K.. the thing is that if anything goes wrong with your turbo its goin to cost you some big bucks! same with NOS.. just doing an engine swap will be more reliable and i think less prone to explode!
Less prone to EXPLODE? Do you seriously think I'm trusting my car to a bunch of kids with a dremel tool, JB Weld, and a step by step picture guide from a Honda Enthusiast Web Site?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wave
Less prone to EXPLODE? Do you seriously think I'm trusting my car to a bunch of kids with a dremel tool, JB Weld, and a step by step picture guide from a Honda Enthusiast Web Site?
hey, it will fall apart not explode!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Ooooo Kay!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Ooooo Kay!

I'll let you know how it goes!
your doin a K20 swap?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
If the K20A can be installed 'properly' that is the direction that I would go and will be going. That way you have a great platform to build on in the future when you think 200hp just isn't enough power for this car...

Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I would have bald tires before I even got home from the K20 install lol

Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Thnx, yeah im happy with the power. but i was leaning towards the engine swap more for him i think he was too like silverworm said we dont want ne explossions b/c we had bad experiance turboing a tallon l8tr down the road.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
kids? Since when was Hasport run by kids? Honestly that is a horrible over generalization. I wouldn't be so closed minded about such things if you don't have the facts straight.

Originally Posted by spaz27a
Thnx, yeah im happy with the power. but i was leaning towards the engine swap more for him i think he was too like silverworm said we dont want ne explossions b/c we had bad experiance turboing a tallon l8tr down the road.
Going FI on a Honda is a much different experience than putting a FI system on a Talon. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Going back to the OP's question...I would most likely go FI since I wouldn't have to do any cutting or welding inside the engine bay. Plus the power gains after modding + tuning would be more than enough to make me happy. A K-swap would be nice but even after you swap it, there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for it that are compatible with the swap.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Why not take the extra $4000 and buy a 2006 or 2007 Civic SI??????

Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
because its not a FIT!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:34 PM
lol I told him not to get it (the fit)then but he loves the body style and practicality of the inside. dunno I think he jus wants more power for show

Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dacalac
kids? Since when was Hasport run by kids? Honestly that is a horrible over generalization. I wouldn't be so closed minded about such things if you don't have the facts straight.
See that smiley thing at the end of my statement? It's called sarcasm, guess it came off wrong and went over like a lead balloon!

Oh and where did I specifically mention Hasport? I never did. Got a horror story or something you want to tell us about?

Edited to add - screw it. Sorry about the hijack to the Original Poster, let's get it back on track as I have a serious financial interest in doing this.

Last edited by Wave; 08-09-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
See that smiley thing at the end of my statement? It's called sarcasm, guess it came off wrong and went over like a lead balloon!
ahh in that case my bad! <---not sarcasm but genuine smile!

as far as Hasport is concerned I've never heard a complaint about them yet. I just thought you were make that general statement to everyone doing the K-swap. But now that we cleared that up lets move on with the topic at hand!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Eff the Swap!

Ok, heres what you need to do:

*Make the car Ethanol compatible.
*Get a custom ECU setup like http://www.pe-ltd.com/
*Model the 1.5 liter engine on Ricardo's WAVE engine simulation program
*Properly size and install a turbo
*Make a partitioned Intake Manifold with a custom 5TH injector to shoot ethanol upstream. The heat of vaporization of E85 will cause the ethanol to instantly evaporate and chill the intake air, making an intercooler obsolete.

You could probably double the HP of the fit this way. Its not that hard, weve done it on a little 250cc honda with 11:1 compression. Were making 80hp. thats F1 HP/liter right there! Except f1 doesnt have turbo, but still...

Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
just buy the 07 civic 4dr si when it gets here

Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
K23 swap that way you cover both swap and turbo. w00t. from what i under stand from Conekiller there would be a problem mounting the tranny... nothing a Plasma cutter wount fix lol

Quick Reply: Engine swap vs. turbo?