Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Fit to all wheel or rear wheel drive?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Question Fit to all wheel or rear wheel drive?!

I know I brought this up a while ago, but somebody has to have more knowledge about this then what I can and can't find about it.

I know there is a 1.5l all wheel drive fit in japan, I am pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult in levels of front wheel to rear wheel or all wheel drive conversions to do since that drivetrain platform already exists. I would like to know if anyone has attempted this or knows the concerns of fabricating this idea. I would love to do it if the price and customizing was within reason for a drivetrain conversion. I know lack of power would be an issue for the added weight but if your doing a drivetrain conversion, obviously you would add some power to match.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
CRV is all wheel drive on demand. I have seen an old mini pickup converted with the drivetrain and it runs amazingly great. The only issue that I see is that a transnission hump would have to be added to the floor. Dimensions are close with the crv 5 inches longer and 4 inches wider at the wheel base.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I just thought that with a Honda Fit chassis with an awd setup already on the market, that it would already have clearance using those jdm parts or the differential is very small. Or maybe it is a whole different floor pan...I don't know but I am asking if anybody knows about it.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
the fit would be my dream car if it was a DOHC 2.0 liter FR car

Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I dunno if it would be as simple as "plug and play". First off, the FF fits have a torsion beam rear set up, which (Im almost positive) is not compatible with the AWD system. I would guess that the AWD fits have an independent rear suspension. Does anyone have a picture of a fit's underbelly? I wonder if theres a place to bolt on a diff....

Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by mexellent
I dunno if it would be as simple as "plug and play". First off, the FF fits have a torsion beam rear set up, which (Im almost positive) is not compatible with the AWD system. I would guess that the AWD fits have an independent rear suspension. Does anyone have a picture of a fit's underbelly? I wonder if theres a place to bolt on a diff....
oh yeah independent rear suspension and wait...rear disc brakes. you know if that is true about the suspension I think that with the right amount of money you could completly swap out the rear for the way the should have made em. Id trade the extra cargo room for independent rear susp. rear discs, and some all or rear wheel drive any day.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
why can't they just make an FR fit

Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Happyaz
CRV is all wheel drive on demand.
CRV is full time 4wd
when one of the part(i forgot what) overheats, it will change to FWD mode

new RAV4 4WD one has on demand system

Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Drift Motion
CRV is full time 4wd
when one of the part(i forgot what) overheats, it will change to FWD mode

new RAV4 4WD one has on demand system
From having owned two CR-V's, here is the poop:

The CR-V has RT4WD, Real-time 4-wheel drive. The way it operates is that when the front wheels are going 5% faster than the rear a clutch pack engages in the rear differential connecting up the rear wheels. So, the CR-V is a part-time 4wd system.

It works great and I never had any issues (believe me - I tried to get it stuck a couple of times, in the mud!!)

Now, there is a thermo sensor in the rear differential which prevents it from over heating. I have experience with this on a couple of occasions. If you run it very hard on sand, dirt, gravel, snow - whatever, for an extended period of time with your accelerator mashed to the floor, you CAN overheat it after 15-20 minutes. When this happens, the sensor prevents the rear differential from engaging until it returns to a safe operating temperature.

Having said all of that - I don't think it would be practical to get a CR-V 4wd setup to put on a Fit. It would be much easier to get a JDM Fit tranny, ECU, rear suspension, driveshaft, brakes, etc. to convert a USDM Fit. It ain't gonna be cheap!!!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
thats what someone did to build a rwd integra. they integrated a crv rear end into the teggy. but with enough money, time, and knowledge, anything is probable.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
if your going to be using the crv parts to make this happen you have to keep in mind that the CRV part weigh quite a bit more than your current set up.

So unless your doing an engine swap or a turbo your car is going to be drastically underpowered due to the weight.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The floor of the AWD Fit will be completely different, including the fuel tank. You'd basically need to import a properly sectioned AWD Fit and start throwing lots of money around, especially if you want it to look 1/2 decent.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
I just can't find a picture of what the layout looks like mechanically and visually. If you could see it then I think there would be a lot more precise understanding of what would be need to make it happen would be clear. Of coarse it would cost a lot to do no matter how many pieces carry over, but the fact that it would be possible within reason is what makes me think about it.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Have you looked through the JDM service manual?

Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think that the AWD or 4wd which-ever it is, would suit the american palat and our open roads! It will be extremely slow! If we swap in the AWD RDX New Acura, Turbocharged K-Series motor DOHV I-VTEC!! That is AWD that would be very very nice! But the Stock 1.5...... not in the US!