Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Flashpro useful to increase MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Flashpro useful to increase MPG?

I'm about to pick up a Flashpro with the intent of eliminating all RPM hang between shifts and also purely for MPG... I have no interest in gaining HP unless it comes free..

With that said, is it a waste of my time to use a Flashpro for eeking out more mpg?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
A capable tuner should be able to set you up with a flash that leans things out past stoich more than not to get you a gain in MPG. Combine that with some hyper mile habits and maybe a few basic "eco" mods and I don't see why it couldn't be done. It's maybe an expensive way of doing it, but it really and truly will let you change any and everything!!! You can even re map the throttle plate open/close like a throttle controller!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:20 AM
I dropped from around 33mpg to about 30mpg after tuning with the FlashPro. I also gained around 30-35hp though, so it's a trade-off I'll take. Oh, and now I have to run 91 octane gas instead of 87 octane. So there's that too.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Diversion
I'm about to pick up a Flashpro with the intent of eliminating all RPM hang between shifts and also purely for MPG... I have no interest in gaining HP unless it comes free..

With that said, is it a waste of my time to use a Flashpro for eeking out more mpg?
This will not be free since you are going to have to tune the vehicle. If you know how to do the tune then it will be free. If you've never tuned before I would be very careful.

I went for power and lost mpg in return which was worth it to me. I'd say you're better off gaining mpg with an ETC then Flashpro for the cost.

Originally Posted by DWils
I dropped from around 33mpg to about 30mpg after tuning with the FlashPro. I also gained around 30-35hp though, so it's a trade-off I'll take. Oh, and now I have to run 91 octane gas instead of 87 octane. So there's that too.
30-35hp is a gigantic gain. There no way you gained that much power even "crank hp". Realistically with a proper tune it's more like 15-20whp gain with a I/H/E. 30-35hp could be gained on a boost set-up after correcting the maps.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
30-35hp is a gigantic gain. There no way you gained that much power even "crank hp". Realistically with a proper tune it's more like 15-20whp gain with a I/H/E. 30-35hp could be gained on a boost set-up after correcting the maps.
100% agreed on easily finding those gains on boost...

I have I/H/E IK22's/91 and went from 89whp to 112whp, for +23 still with a "cat."

If you can get 30+ from I/H/E/misc I would love to know the recipe!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member

Yes. It will offernothing to increase mpg

Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
100% agreed on easily finding those gains on boost...

I have I/H/E IK22's/91 and went from 89whp to 112whp, for +23 still with a "cat."

If you can get 30+ from I/H/E/misc I would love to know the recipe!!!
You're both right - I'm wrong.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
You're both right - I'm wrong.
From previous conversations this was not actually dyno'd. So 115 is not the actual WHP correct? I apologize for putting you on the spot and its not out of any disrespect I would just like to see true numbers.

TPCologett is getting 112whp and he's done some homework on getting there. Without that cat maybe a few more ponies to get him to 115-116whp.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 PM
From previous conversations this was not actually dyno'd. So 115 is not the actual WHP correct? I apologize for putting you on the spot and its not out of any disrespect I would just like to see true numbers.

TPCologett is getting 112whp and he's done some homework on getting there. Without that cat maybe a few more ponies to get him to 115-116whp.
115 is from an e-dyno which is the best (and only) thing I have up until this point. For all those who will poopoo on e-dynos, just remember that all dynos have their flaws - like some read high and others read low and have to be compensated. Also, that sheet was only representative of my vehicle on that date at that time in that location with that Barometer level. About the only thing about my 2007 Fit that remains constant is the weight, and even that fluctuates depending on how much gas I have in the tank. RB666 not saying this is you, just in general to the naysayers. I have made an appointment at a local dyno place to have the Fit baselined on Saturday, 09/27/2014. I'll post up the sheet from the dyno after it is done. In the meantime, see this site: Welcome: Xact Dyno for more information on the place I'm going. Even that dyno will only be representative of my car at that time and place and weather conditions and should not be expected to have similar results in other Fits.

While TPCologett may have done his research and so on and so forth, I didn't. I basically bought everything from the header back and threw it on there. Had I done my research I would have chosen a b-pipe with a different diameter as the diameter between that and the axle-back are different, which impedes power. Hey, at least I'm honest. And I may or may not have a catalytic converter. For all of those who will poopoo on me for no converter: I don't care. Your argument will be ignored by me.

I was just sharing my experiences with the FlashPro with regards to fuel economy. My increase in horsepower (no matter how great or small) outweighs my decrease by a few miles per gallon after using the FlashPro.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
DWills I'm excited to hear you are going to the dyno. A baseline run should help give you some hard numbers. Have you done anything since the tune part wise?

I look forward to seeing those numbers next weeks. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Have you done anything since the tune part wise?
A lot. But nothing that will give me more power because pretty much the only power left to be had will come from forced induction. And nothing that will improve fuel efficiency because the only thing left is to gut my car to make it weigh less but I can't remove anything since it's my daily driver.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm gonna get it anyways.. I would figure a stock baseline map should lean it out some to improve MPG, right? I figure that's the least the stock based map should do.. Maybe i'll adjust the stock map to put the ignition changes back to stock but leave the fuel edits in?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 PM
I'm gonna get it anyways.. I would figure a stock baseline map should lean it out some to improve MPG, right? I figure that's the least the stock based map should do.. Maybe i'll adjust the stock map to put the ignition changes back to stock but leave the fuel edits in?

I highly recommend FlashPro and congratulate you on your decision. However, that being said, I'll agree with what RB666 said previously:

If you've never tuned before I would be very careful.

Tuning anything over the stock FlashPro map could have horrible effects on your car if you don't know what you're doing. After you familiarize yourself with the FlashPro here: FlashPro Fit you can get help with how to use it here: FlashPro Help and a forum here: Hondata • View forum - 2007-2008 Fit. If you get overwhelmed at looking at everything and trying to figure it out yourself there are a number of places/people who can tune your car for you. I went with Vit Viper here: FlashPro Tunes for Honda and Acura | VitTuned Flashpro, KPro & S300 Tuning. Have fun!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tips.. I've got decent experience from a previous Civic Si and Flashpro.. ultimately I was already planning on hiring Vit Viper to make me a MPG map with his sorcery remote tuning skills.. :P

Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the tips.. I've got decent experience from a previous Civic Si and Flashpro.. ultimately I was already planning on hiring Vit Viper to make me a MPG map with his sorcery remote tuning skills.. :P
I look forward to seeing the results.

Do you have any mods on the vehicle right now? Regardless I highly recommend an ETC. I saw some mpg gains with one and its a very cost effective part for only like $120.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
I look forward to seeing the results.

Do you have any mods on the vehicle right now? Regardless I highly recommend an ETC. I saw some mpg gains with one and its a very cost effective part for only like $120.
He's stock bro. He's my brother from another mother since we both owned 5th gen Preludes in 98'. I'm trying hard to at least doing a CAI. We shall see.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 AM
a completely stock GD3 Honda fit should easily see a few more miles per gallon with a tune.

Afterall you are eliminating the ridiculously rich AFR's that Honda programs from the factory so that the car performs as faultlessly across most environments.

Just note, a strict tune should be kept in the area. EX, if you are in California and get a tune to string out as much MPGs as possible, dont expect the car to run very well in say, Colorado.

You could opt to have a tuner create several maps. One that simply tightens the factory tune, one that is made for highway cruising, and one that is so strict it requires sticking with 91 or 93 octane at a minimum. Being able to switch being them is as simple as a laptop plugged in.

Do not expect miracles like 10mpg+ or 25hp+ out of a tune on stock parts. You need a camshaft or a disco potatoe for that lol

Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Regardless I highly recommend an ETC. I saw some mpg gains with one and its a very cost effective part for only like $120.
Any suggestions for one?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 PM
throttle controllers only work if you cannot learn to control your foot. In which case, you probably wont get as good as gasmileage as you could.

Sometimes the best way to save gas is to give up a full tank, and go drive, watch the mpg meter, and see what causes the mpg meter to be low.

EX its horrible in city MPG's to creep to speed. like taking 10-15 seconds to reach 40mph. Do it in 5 seconds. its not beating the crap out of the car, but it can add several mpgs to your average when you reduce your time of acceleration.

Even very MILD acceleration puts the mpg instant meter in 12mpg or so. so reduce time spent accelerating

Old 09-24-2014, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Engine tuning, while a great place to find extra power, is the last place to find extra mpg. Feedback instrumentation, technique, tire pressure, aero mods and weight reduction are going to give you much bigger gains (in the order I listed) than trying to find more efficiency in an engine that Honda built to be efficient.

Quick Reply: Flashpro useful to increase MPG?