Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Performance gain without losing gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Performance gain without losing gas mileage?

Hey everybody. I bought a Silver '07 Fit Sport AT in the US a few months ago. I almost have 6,000 miles on it so far, and I love it.

I was wondering what I could do to increase performance without losing any gas mileage. Additionally, I have a 6 year bumper-to-bumper warranty from Honda which I don't want to void. I am expecting that the amount of options available to me is going to be very small, if any at all. But I just started reading this forum and thought that I'd ask the pros.

Also, if you don't mind, base any replies on the fact that I don't really know much about engines. Just seeing everyone elses Fits on here is really making me want to do something cool with mine.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Matt - you sound like my twin! I have exaclty the same needs, also have a SSM Sport AT, and also have almost 6,000 miles! wow.

So far, from what I gather our only real option is a replacement drop-in filter (K&N, spoon, mugen). But I'm looking forward to what the "experts" have to say....

Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
there are so many things.

For an air filter, I don't know if the short rams or CAI's that exsist have a gain in MPG, I doubd it, aside from the technical reasons that I may be wrong, the simple fact that you're going to love the sound of it, will make you accelerate harder just to hear it again and again. I'd suggest the k&n drop in (part#33-2359) cause it flows better than stock and doesn't sound more than stock.

I think that the most performance gain you can achieve without affect the MPG (may improve a little), plus gains in the handling, breaking and in overall will be a very lightweight rims and sticky tires like the SSR or the KONIG HELIUMS with Toyo A1R, or KHUMO ECSTA MX, or G-FORCE.

A good exhaust system should help too, but again if you like how it sounds you will loose MPG because of your right foot.

Anything that takes weight from the fir is good.

I have had from 20 to 41 mpg and all the fluctuation was my driving (like a granny and like the devil)

I am no expert, but I have work on speedshops, and have wastw a lot of money on performance parts, and gas.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I think you'll find options limited for your situation. I too have a silver AT. Although many performance mods use the 'increase gas mileage' as a selling point, it really is subjective and very much dependent on the type of engine. For some older cars w/ restrictive smog equipment and the like, bolt-on mods 'uncork' the engine, revealing undiscovered power...often since the efficiency of the engine has been increased, slight gas mileage increases also result under cruise conditions. Many older (mostly domestic) engines were de-tuned to meet emissions requirements...which really allows for quite a bit of potential when modifying. Things have changed somewhat w/ newer computer-controlled engine control systems.

Remember, these little Honda engines are designed to be very efficient from the factor. They have to be since they are so small to begin with. So finding 'extra' power that Honda left undiscovered is not likely unless you start changing major components. I see people spending $600 on exhaust systems which usually, by themselves, don't increase power that much. If you have the bucks, you can usually get good increases by going with a proven combo of bolt-on parts like header, intake, exhaust, etc. This alone can run towards $1,000+ if you buy name-brand stuff. I have yet to see a 'proven' combo on our Fits which would justify the expense. My contention is that a supercharger ($$) would be the best way to maximize the $ spent/power.

But then we get to your extended warranty. I initially went w/ one, but have cancelled. I see nothing but trouble w/ dealers and modified cars. Yes there are laws regarding this issue, but I think you'll find very few dealers who are performance oriented that are not looking for reasons to not have to fix something under warranty. So you'll have to decide how much it hassle it is worth, and use this to evaluate what changes to make. Like trowpa has stated, a K&N would be a good start. This is a mild mod which really won't make too much difference, but is only $40. And you can re-use it for the life of the car.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I just ordered the K&N air filter. Any more suggestions?

Old 10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Matt - be sure to give a report of any differences you notice!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by mattpuchlerz
I just ordered the K&N air filter. Any more suggestions?
Depending on how much more power/flow you want to achieve, and your budget, consider opening up the exhaust system by doing a header and/or cat-back exhaust system. Of these two, I think the header may make a bigger difference in power, all else being stock. In conjunction w/ an exhaust system, you probably could get better power and gas mileage to some extent. Beyond these mods, and the ones previously mentioned by others, the performance vs gas mileage return starts to decrease significantly.

EDIT: I suggest reading through this first, before going the exhaust route: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/2446-tech-great-honda-jazz-exhaust-thread.html Going w/ exhaust upgrades may only be best if you plan to do more future mods.

Other than keeping the tires properly inflated, & shaving weight, you may just want to drive/enjoy the car! I usually try to run w/o AC as much as possible to help keep the engine unloaded.

Last edited by sonorliteman; 10-03-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Dude, We aren't going to see anything in the realm of 'noticible' gains without going forced-induction, substantial work or ...*ahem* "Da juice".
Just drive it for what it is...if you mod it. Don't drive like a maniac, an intake will theoretically INCREASE milage but the extra "weight" on the skinny pedal will tend to decrease the economy.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
I just added the K&N air filter to my M/T Silver Storm. The K&N comes pre oiled so you just undo the four clips holding the air box, remove the stock Honda filter and insert the K&N.

It "feels" like my Fit has slightly more torque, pulling power, especially with the a/c off.

I like the feel of what I think is extra pulling power so I have been reving the engine to between 4-4.5K rather than to 3 -3.5 K before. I haven't filled up with gas since I dropped in the K&N, but the fuel gauge is taking it's time moving left, just like before.

The K&N cost me $45 delivered to my door, I ordered direct from K&N, and for that much money can't see how I could make much of a mistake.

I just wish there were touring coilover shocks with better dampening to improve the ride. The Fit's short wheelbase accentuates the poor road conditions.

The Fit is just Fun to drive.

Dave

Old 10-03-2006, 11:26 PM
A few I know replaced the stock crank pulley (2200g) with the new Mythelogy dampened aluminium crank pulley (770g) and managed to regain the loss power on wheel at the same time save 10% off their Fuel Consumption. Remarkable cause this car with CVT either in iDSI or Vtec is already pretty miser on fuel in stock form. I donno if you guys have it over there but its sold out everytime the stock arrives here! We have lots of Honda fans here too.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Do you happen to have a link to that crank pulley so we could all take a look at it?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Lighter wheels would also help out. The only problem with that is youre almost guaranteed to be wider, so the rolling resistance is going to increase.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I too ordered the K&N air filter a few days ago and i should be recieving it by either today or tomorrow. I'll see if i notice any differences and let yall know.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
i'd like to see a comparison of the mugen/spoon/k&n filters. i would expect that all three being different construction that you'll see three different types of gains.

as for exhaust, I recommend mating an aftermarket back pipe to any of the rear sections on the market for a true catback. Here is the Spoon one for example in some pics I took on Monday.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
in my opinion, the air filter will not help out with the gas milage, my reasoning is because the more air you are feeding the engine the more gas it will need.

my suggestion for better fuel economy and better performance would be a an ignition system upgrade..... better plugs, coil, distributer. this will produce a more complete fuel burn therefore better milage and more power.

how bout them tornado intakes? hehe j/k

Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 PM
better filter will make it easier for the engine to suck in air, less power used to suck in air means less gas needed to power the car.

think of it as a straw and the amount of suction needed to pass air through it. the amount of energy that you use would be gas, if you covered the end of the straw or blocked it you would have to suck very hard to get x amount of air into the vehicle.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by FikseRxSeven
my suggestion for better fuel economy and better performance would be a an ignition system upgrade..... better plugs, coil, distributer. this will produce a more complete fuel burn therefore better milage and more power.

Actually, you'd be suprised at how capable the latest coil-on-plug systems are for these newer cars. By the way you listed those components, I'm guessing your're thinking of older cars w/ distributors. It is true that some of the older ones really do benefit from your suggestions, but the Fit doesn't have a distributor (last I checked).

Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by FikseRxSeven
in my opinion, the air filter will not help out with the gas milage, my reasoning is because the more air you are feeding the engine the more gas it will need.
By your reasoning you should be getting better gas milage with a dirty filter!

Old 10-06-2006, 10:04 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Someone has tested a K&N filter (though not on a Fit) and found no mileage gain.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:14 AM
The biggest performance gain that also greatly helps gas mileage is to get the manual transmission.

The best part about it is that it even saves you nearly a grand.

Quick Reply: Performance gain without losing gas mileage?