Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

T1R Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
i was thinking the same thing

Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I can totally relate to Fit4Ryan's problems in a way. In my MANY travels back and forth to LA I constantly have power problems. I am definatly going to take a deeper look into this intake for sure. One thing I can't relate to Ryan is your MPG. I constantly get near 38-40 on every trip I make either direction. Now granted I have my cruise set to 75. I don't know about you but it seems that the Fit just doesn't really like going 80. When I made a trip from Albuquerque to LV and had the cruise set to 80 the car was constantly down shifting to keep up.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Da1King
I can totally relate to Fit4Ryan's problems in a way. In my MANY travels back and forth to LA I constantly have power problems. I am definatly going to take a deeper look into this intake for sure. One thing I can't relate to Ryan is your MPG. I constantly get near 38-40 on every trip I make either direction. Now granted I have my cruise set to 75. I don't know about you but it seems that the Fit just doesn't really like going 80. When I made a trip from Albuquerque to LV and had the cruise set to 80 the car was constantly down shifting to keep up.
I cant explain the MPG issue. On my two prior trips including there and back I only managed about 33 MPG. Pretty weak when compared to how much everyone else typically gets.
+note+ I did perform the idle learn procedure a couple months prior, as well thinking to improve, but I didnt even notice a difference.

Also, I filled up today and I got 32 mpg. About 4ish mpg improvement over me pre-intake avg.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Well I should go on to mention that normally when I go my destination is literally 1 mile from a freeway. So my entire trip both ways is entirely highway mileage almost 0 city driving. BTW Ryan I don't know about you but I just love flying up or down Cajon pass!! There is nothing funner then having the car kick down into 4th and just hauling past everyone at 75-80!! Including those big lumbering SUVs. =)

Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 AM
it's here!!

Just got my intake, and before I put it in I just wanted to share some pics I took of it

The only issues I had was that there were no instructions whatsoever, so I had to guess more or less according to previously posted photos. Unfortunately I had inserted the included grommet in the wrong hole (the one I assume is for the oxygen sensor) before I looked at the pics online... That was a royal pita to remove!! Please T1R, you should include some kind of instructions, even if it's a very simple diagram. My second issue was that the intake seems to have a carbonfiber layer only on the top half. The bottom half seems to be just fiberglass in a black epoxy resin, as is the substrate below the carbonfiber layer. The inside of the intake is rough, with some glass fibers sticking out. Not sure how much of an influence that would be, but if this intake can claim all these gains the way it is, then I'll say no more Anyway, I won't have time to install the intake until Friday, I have a wedding to shoot today (11/09). I'll post about any observations/improvements later on Friday. In the mean time, enjoy the pics

Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marokero
The inside of the intake is rough, with some glass fibers sticking out. Not sure how much of an influence that would be, but if this intake can claim all these gains the way it is, then I'll say no more
FWIW, my Power Box is the same inside as well, but it doesn't seem to affect anything at all being that way, so I wouldn't worry too much. Besides, once it's mounted you won't see it anyway.

Definitely a good looking unit all around, though!

Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 AM
A rough inner surface is actually prefered as opposed to a smooth surface for airflow...

Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Someone that Posts too much
i would definitely recommend this intake to anybody!

-joe

Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Claymore, it's not like the glassfibers are loose, just in a few spots they stick out of the resin. It would definitely be hard to pull those fibers out without pliers.

Sonorliteman, would this rough inner surface be the equivalent of the dimples on a golf ball, as they help decrease air drag?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marokero

The only issues I had was that there were no instructions whatsoever, so I had to guess more or less according to previously posted photos. Unfortunately I had inserted the included grommet in the wrong hole (the one I assume is for the oxygen sensor) before I looked at the pics online... That was a royal pita to remove!! Please T1R, you should include some kind of instructions, even if it's a very simple diagram. My second issue was that the intake seems to have a carbonfiber layer only on the top half. The bottom half seems to be just fiberglass in a black epoxy resin, as is the substrate below the carbonfiber layer. The inside of the intake is rough, with some glass fibers sticking out. Not sure how much of an influence that would be, but if this intake can claim all these gains the way it is, then I'll say no more Anyway, I won't have time to install the intake until Friday, I have a wedding to shoot today (11/09). I'll post about any observations/improvements later on Friday. In the mean time, enjoy the pics
I thought the WHOLE intake was made from CF? That sucks. But it is a sweet intake none the less. Mine is on backorder from JHPUSA along with the Mugen strut tower bar. Good news is my Mugen headers and skunk2 exhaust will be here next week. Sucks i can't put it all on together but what can ya do. I don't think i will have clearance issues with the battery because i put in the braille racing one. 7lbs lighter, half the size, and 140 more CCA for the winter months.

A bit concerned about the fiberglass inside coming off and getting in the engine. I guess i will see it when i get it.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:51 AM
the one i got was rough, but didn't have any fibers sticking out.. it's just a very "texture" surface.. aka not smooth

-joe

Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Yep, I've read that the cast texture surface in aluminum or iron cylinder heads / intakes is actually good for airflow, but usually people just grind it off when porting the heads. Smart shops use a finishing abrasive while doing this to restore some 'texture'. Really though I don't think it matters that much to make a difference.

As for the half-CF thing...considering what CF costs, why in the world would they use it on the bottom? It is purely cosmetic this application and you don't ever see the bottom.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Would not be a good thing to have those loose fibers sucked into the engine as they are after the filter.
Not sure if the T1R has this, but to prevent that from happening, the Power Box has a patch of stainless mesh (window screening) stretched over the output pipe to the engine and held in place by the coupler tube and clamp. If the T1R doesn't have it, I see no reason you can't go and get some stainless screening and make your own ($1-2 maybe?). I would make sure it's stainless though, to prevent corrosion and mesh bits from maybe falling into the engine if it rusted away.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine too!!!

I want to say thank you to my Buddy Lance to help me install all the parts today!!! My Car like a rocket now!!!

I also got the T1R Exhaust and Spoon Front Tower Bar, on the other Post!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Super smooth walls are not good in the ports because of the liquid fuel in suspension with the air part of the brew. The smooth walls in curves causes the "wet" fuel to fall out of suspension and pool in the curves. For an intake with AIR ONLY Smooth is better flowing.
Indeed, there is an aerodynamic principle that requires flow to be linear for better efficiency. Texture will cause turbulence, which might be good for the air/fuel melange, but linearity will increase density of air and acceleration towards admission.
But since "the box" has a huge volume, it probobly does not matter anyway

Old 11-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks guys, I'll be installing mine today, after I get some rest from last night's wedding. And congrats Stanly (sy11580) on the new toys! Hope we can meet at the next meeting.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
anyone interested the inner diameter for the hose to bypass the coolant to the TB is 8mm. Reported by AJ racing.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Wink Air filter maintenance?

So, I installed my TR1 air box last saturday. Although I am persuated that this is the most friendly upgrade to my Fit, I have a few questions to others that already did the install:

-Is it only the noise, or it seems that the whole engine bay vibrates under hard acceleration?
-The growl is somewhat apparent to what we hear when there is a small hole in the b-pipe, even more so at higher speed. Is it me or someone else gets that impression?
- Was I supposed to oil or treat the air filter prior to using it? What care should I provide it in the future?
- Finally, is this hop-up efficient on it's own or should I really do at least an axelback exhaust? (the dyno charts don't convince me by themselves, I need some "on the road" experience...

Help me spend my money wisely

Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi im newbie here and i got my jazz a month ago.

I just wanna know if TR1 filter really improves low-mid rpm performance as well as fuel efficiency?

What are the trade-offs?

Looking forward for your positive replies. thanks.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:07 AM
the growl and the "feel" of vibration is normal

I had it on for about 2 days and it's loud because you are basically sitting right behind the intake box

-joe

Quick Reply: T1R Intake