Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

HOW-TO: Bumper removal & License Plate Relocator

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
what happen to rest of the pics?
was going do this but...

Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
I did the "L" braket mod for my ride but I honestly didn't like the way it was so close to my fog light. I even slighly curved the plate to make it match the curve of the bumper. It is a creative DIY, I just did like the way it looked on my car. Thanks for the info though!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Formerly "bitoy"
5 Year Member
here's a link from collegehills honda on how to remove the bumper http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...rontgrille.pdf

Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
bumpity bump bump. =]

Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
having problems screwing back the 2 side screws is not screwing up tightly any tips on this.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
that means u didn't push the clips under the headlight all the way or the splash guard is getting in the way of the bumper. check both of those.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
will do have to wait till tomorrow tho.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM
thanks

Thanks man I will use this info in a little bit. one question, should i put the relocator on the passenger side if the car if i will have CAI?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Can you post a lateral view of the relocator bracket on your car? I just installed mine last night and the plate doesn't sit vertically...it's slightly angled out at the bottom. Is it supposed to be like this? I can't really tell from the angle on your pics. TYIA

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
Can you post a lateral view of the relocator bracket on your car? I just installed mine last night and the plate doesn't sit vertically...it's slightly angled out at the bottom. Is it supposed to be like this? I can't really tell from the angle on your pics. TYIA
Did u use the password jdm one? If u are, then yes mine is also not sitting fully vertical, it's angled outwards a little. But after a lotta driving, the wind will bend the plate backwards just a little to become straight. U could take off the bracket and straighten it, but once i had it mounted on, i didn't want it coming off again so i just left it. It doesnt' bug me at all. I think it's password:jdm's design of the bracket that makes the plate do that.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
ahh ok. Yes I got the PW:JDM one and I just thought it weird that the plate was angled out at the bottom. I thought that if it were going to be angled at all, that it would be angled inward at the botoom. Thanks, Kev.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:23 PM
yo kev i recently bought a password jdm plate re-locator. can you help me install it. i'll buy you lunch or something.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:35 PM
: rotfl:
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
What's up ladies n gents, koolkevin1107 here with another writeup. I have been asked this question over a dozen times and have seen it posted all over the place. This is a How-to on removing your bumper and installing a license plate bracket. I have a Password:jdm one but this goes for all L shaped brackets. Here we go!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

First, locate the bumper clips in the engine bay. There are 4 of them. U stick a screwdriver in the notch and turn. The center will pop off, then just remove the clip.

Here is the next part. Most people get totally scared about unclipping the bottom portion of the bumper because they think there are soo many clips n screws when actually all u have to do is remove 4 clips and 2 screws from the bottom. I have identified which ones u need to remove, u don't need to take out any more because these are the ones u need. Take a look:

The first ones are the ones at the ends of the bumper by the wheels. These are the LONGEST clips. When u realize u take out the clips, u'll see there are 2 sizes, long n short. Most of em are short but these end ones are the only long ones. NOTE: The clips on the bottom of the bumper might be a little difficult to take out because debris gets in between it. When u do remove them, i recommend washing them to get the debris out so they are easy to install.

Here is under the bumper. When u look, u will find 2 phillips screws (with washers) located underneath the foglight areas and 2 clips going towards the center. Also, make note on which underpanel sit on each other because when u put the bumper back on, you have to overlap the splash guards. The ones attached to the bumper go OVER the big one located under the engine.

Next are the 2 screws at the ends of the bumpers where the bumper meets the fender. Again, only 2 screws (1 on each side). These do NOT have washers.

Here is the last "scary" part. The bumper is clipped on along the bottom of the bumper and fender. If you have never removed the bumper, the first time u try it's on there pretty tight. Just pull hard towards u and they will unclip. Don't worry, use a lil elbow grease.

Sport people! Continue with instructions. Base people, skip this step.

Remove the foglight housing. Take a 10mm or phillips screw and take out the screw. REach in and unclip the foglight. For the first couple times, this is VERY HARD so if u can't do it, grow some muscles .

Perfect! now the bumper should come right out.

Next, review the license plate relocator u have. I got the cool jdm tyte password:jdm one but u can use the cusco or any generic aftermarket ones u see on ebay, they all do the same thing.

That little metal piece goes inside the bumper to make it stronger.

Now mount the license plate to the bracket and dry test to see where you want to locate it. Couple reminders:

- Don't let the back part of the bracket touch the front face of the bumper. Leave it some space (1-2mm should be good) or else u'll have a scratch in your bumper

- If you are going to mount it on the drivers side, do not move the bracket so far over that the license plate blocks the "air channels" next 2 the foglights. Those holes are there to feed fresh air to the intake

- People w/ foglights, don't forget to leave some space so u can fit a screwdriver to remove the screw for the foglight.

Newayz, once u toy with where u want it mounted, take a sharpie and mark it underneath. Take a drill the same size as the bolts and punch 2 holes. They don't have to be perfect as long as it goes through because remember, nobody will see it once the bracket is mounted. This is a shot from the bottom of the bumper looking up:

This is the shot of the inside of the bumper:

USE LOCKTITE! I recommend going to pepboys or kragen n getting some BLUE non-permaent locktite. This is a fluid that when dries, it doesn't allow the bolts to come loose, but can be opened using regular tools.

Now re-install the bumper. If u see it's hard to go on the side that u installed the bracket, take off the bumper and look at the bumper support, sometimes the bolts are catching this foam piece. Just notch it where u see the indentations. I only had to notch the passenger side when i installed the bracket on my friends car, but mine didn't need notching on the drivers side.

Install is reverse of removal.

PERFECT! now u have a JDM tyte license plate relocator!

Hope i educated everybody. Remember, If you guys liked this thread, please give me some rep points. It's simple. On the first post, there is a little gray character in the top right corner of the post (next to the post number and "permalink") click him and click agree. thanks again guys! Oh btw look out for a LOT more writeups from me, especially a BIG one that everybody will want to see .

Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 PM
: rotfl:
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
What's up ladies n gents, koolkevin1107 here with another writeup. I have been asked this question over a dozen times and have seen it posted all over the place. This is a How-to on removing your bumper and installing a license plate bracket. I have a Password:jdm one but this goes for all L shaped brackets. Here we go!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

First, locate the bumper clips in the engine bay. There are 4 of them. U stick a screwdriver in the notch and turn. The center will pop off, then just remove the clip.

Here is the next part. Most people get totally scared about unclipping the bottom portion of the bumper because they think there are soo many clips n screws when actually all u have to do is remove 4 clips and 2 screws from the bottom. I have identified which ones u need to remove, u don't need to take out any more because these are the ones u need. Take a look:

The first ones are the ones at the ends of the bumper by the wheels. These are the LONGEST clips. When u realize u take out the clips, u'll see there are 2 sizes, long n short. Most of em are short but these end ones are the only long ones. NOTE: The clips on the bottom of the bumper might be a little difficult to take out because debris gets in between it. When u do remove them, i recommend washing them to get the debris out so they are easy to install.

Here is under the bumper. When u look, u will find 2 phillips screws (with washers) located underneath the foglight areas and 2 clips going towards the center. Also, make note on which underpanel sit on each other because when u put the bumper back on, you have to overlap the splash guards. The ones attached to the bumper go OVER the big one located under the engine.

Next are the 2 screws at the ends of the bumpers where the bumper meets the fender. Again, only 2 screws (1 on each side). These do NOT have washers.

Here is the last "scary" part. The bumper is clipped on along the bottom of the bumper and fender. If you have never removed the bumper, the first time u try it's on there pretty tight. Just pull hard towards u and they will unclip. Don't worry, use a lil elbow grease.

Sport people! Continue with instructions. Base people, skip this step.

Remove the foglight housing. Take a 10mm or phillips screw and take out the screw. REach in and unclip the foglight. For the first couple times, this is VERY HARD so if u can't do it, grow some muscles .

Perfect! now the bumper should come right out.

Next, review the license plate relocator u have. I got the cool jdm tyte password:jdm one but u can use the cusco or any generic aftermarket ones u see on ebay, they all do the same thing.

That little metal piece goes inside the bumper to make it stronger.

Now mount the license plate to the bracket and dry test to see where you want to locate it. Couple reminders:

- Don't let the back part of the bracket touch the front face of the bumper. Leave it some space (1-2mm should be good) or else u'll have a scratch in your bumper

- If you are going to mount it on the drivers side, do not move the bracket so far over that the license plate blocks the "air channels" next 2 the foglights. Those holes are there to feed fresh air to the intake

- People w/ foglights, don't forget to leave some space so u can fit a screwdriver to remove the screw for the foglight.

Newayz, once u toy with where u want it mounted, take a sharpie and mark it underneath. Take a drill the same size as the bolts and punch 2 holes. They don't have to be perfect as long as it goes through because remember, nobody will see it once the bracket is mounted. This is a shot from the bottom of the bumper looking up:

This is the shot of the inside of the bumper:

USE LOCKTITE! I recommend going to pepboys or kragen n getting some BLUE non-permaent locktite. This is a fluid that when dries, it doesn't allow the bolts to come loose, but can be opened using regular tools.

Now re-install the bumper. If u see it's hard to go on the side that u installed the bracket, take off the bumper and look at the bumper support, sometimes the bolts are catching this foam piece. Just notch it where u see the indentations. I only had to notch the passenger side when i installed the bracket on my friends car, but mine didn't need notching on the drivers side.

Install is reverse of removal.

PERFECT! now u have a JDM tyte license plate relocator!

Hope i educated everybody. Remember, If you guys liked this thread, please give me some rep points. It's simple. On the first post, there is a little gray character in the top right corner of the post (next to the post number and "permalink") click him and click agree. thanks again guys! Oh btw look out for a LOT more writeups from me, especially a BIG one that everybody will want to see .

Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
i don't get what's funny? lol.

Oh god.... now that i read the thread i made up, i sound soo funny haha. I don't type like that anymore.

Anyways Matt, yeah dude come on over i'll do it fer ya! =]

Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
When I got to the "scary" part where you pull the bumper with a bit of "elbow grease" I read the service manual and they show a flat screwdriver like tool being inserted in order to release the clips. I tried doing this and I broke two of the hooks on the plastic piece that is under the headlights. I have no problem replacing that (bernardiparts). BUT . . .

my question is: Do you really have to insert that flat tool in there to release the hooks or will they release, like you state, with just some good ol' "pullin'-power". I'm nervous about breaking the hooks again and I want to make sure I won't. Not asking for any guarantees, just verification from your experiences.

This is for an '09 Sport Manual.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
*BUMP*

Hopeful for answer to above question.

Thanks!!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by madhartigan
*BUMP*

Hopeful for answer to above question.

Thanks!!
I have not done it on an 09 yet, so i cannot confirm that, sorry. But from experience, the 08 and the 09 im sure Honda built it the same way with clips under the headlight. But if the manual says use a flat head, use a flat head. For the 08's, it isn't necessary just a good ol tug will work.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 PM
thanks for the reply kev!!

I'll give the "tug" method a shot.

It's weird, the manual only shows a flat tool (def. not a flathead screwdriver, more like the blade of a butterknife) being inserted and used to release the tabs from the hooks, but collegehillshonda's diagram, using the same Honda image, says to just pull, like you say.

I'm going with the tug and pray method.

Thanks again for the reply.

-Darryl

Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
nice write up! sick car!

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Bumper removal & License Plate Relocator