Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Billet Grills Prevent Damage to A/C Condensers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned
Talking Billet Grills Prevent Damage to A/C Condensers

This is a teaser for a thread that I will complete this weekend after my installation of the best cure for the title problem.

The black plastic lower grill that is stock on the 1st. Gen. Fits exposes giant gaps 2-1/4" high X 6" wide. What is directly behind these huge holes? The A/C condenser. Use "a/c condenser" in the search function, and you will find multiple threads about failed A/C systems being brought to the dealer under warranty, with the result that warranty will not cover the condenser leak that was caused by a high velocity rock hit.

I see this as a major design flaw. Automotive grills are there to prevent damaging debris from getting into the radiator and a/c condenser, but the Fit grill does not block anything smaller than a tennis ball. The people in the condenser threads paid as much as $700.00 to the dealer, or paid around $150.00 on eBay for their replacement condenser and installed it themselves. Why not prevent the whole issue in the first place???

My first cure for this potential problem was to remove the bumper, turn it face down, and attach a double strip of coarse steel screen "hardware cloth" to the back of the plastic grill, using black zip ties. This was a cheap, almost bullet proof way to prevent rocks from hitting the condenser. I will post a DIY with photos later on this method and add it to this thread. The downside of this is, leaves collect against the screen and look bad. For people who live in areas of freezing rain, rain could potentially cause an ice sheet to form over the screen in the late fall/early winter and cause overheating.

The best cure is of course the most expensive, but in this case we're talking in the $60. to $100. range. This is the Aluminum Billet Grill. Here's the link to the eBay vendor where I bought mine:

eBay Motors: 07 2007 Honda Fit Bolton Bumper Billet Grille Grill (item 250304712205 end time Oct-12-08 19:00:47 PDT)

I received this on 10/9, and the quality is spectacular. All solid metal, exactly as described by the vendor. I was so intent on eliminating the screen and reducing the size of the openings of the grill that I only bought the billet grill for the bottom of the Fit.

Today I found the corresponding two-piece top grill and ordered that one as well. Could have saved 1/2 of the freight if I had bought both at the same time. The bottom grill protects the condenser and radiator, and you must remove the stock plastic grill to bolt in the aluminum one. The top grill is only for looks, to match the lower one, and it bolts over the existing plastic top grill and fits on each side of the "H" emblem.

The advantage here is that there is only a 1/4" gap between the bars. Any rock with enough mass to rupture the condenser tubes would either be too big to pass through the gaps, or would hit the bar edges and be deflected away or be slowed enough to keep from damaging the condenser.

Photos and two DIY's coming.

Last edited by manxman; 10-10-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
nice find!

That looks pretty nice! Post some pics when it's installed. I got a little excited when you said that there was a matching upper grill but I want the "BIG H" gone so the upper grill add on won't work out. anyway nice find and post pics!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by feddup
That looks pretty nice! Post some pics when it's installed. I got a little excited when you said that there was a matching upper grill but I want the "BIG H" gone so the upper grill add on won't work out. anyway nice find and post pics!
Yep, I will. I may decide to take the lower grill back off again to paint the polished front surfaces flat black to match the horizontal surfaces though. It will depend upon how good or bad or strange the shiny bars look after being so used to how the black grill has looked for the last two years. And if they had a one-piece upper grill, I would buy that and get rid of the "H" emblem also. I don't dislike it, but matching upper and lower grills would look pretty nice.

Last edited by manxman; 10-11-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
in for pix

Old 10-11-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Tagging as well, and maybe I'll take a look at it in person when your done

Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned
It's 3:30 in the afternoon, and I just finished installing the grill. I LIKE IT A LOT! But to write up both DIY's and go through the hassle of posting the pics, I won't get this done until late tomorrow. The grill definitely gives the Fit an entirely different personality. Kind of the opposite of Rice- more an aggressive '50s/'60s custom car/hot rod look.

For those looking at the grill and vendor on eBay, here's a heads-up. When your grill arrives, take one of the mounting screws with you as an example, and head to your hardware store. Find the same size sheet metal screws (they look like size 8 to me) and buy 4 of the same diameter screws, but 1/2" LONGER.

2nd. tip- the instructions tell you to remove the factory grill (meaning take it out of the bumper). WRONG-O. The new grill fastens over the surface of the stock grill. The new grill uses 4 sheet metal screws and little "Z" hooks. The hooks fasten to the vertical ribs of the stock plastic grill. With the extra long screws that you will buy, it might even be possible to put the new grill on without removing the bumper. I took the bumper off, and that's what I would recommend.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I saw this grille but it wasn't the look I was going for. I'm interested in seeing pix installed though!!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 PM
agreed

Originally Posted by manxman
if they had a one-piece upper grill, I would buy that and get rid of the "H" emblem also. I don't dislike it, but matching upper and lower grills would look pretty nice.
A clean billet set which removed the H would gain immediate interest from me. Trancedsailor is in the midst of an attempt at a cleaner upper grill and it sounds as if it's getting nightmarish! I want to simplify and clean up the front end looks but no vendors seem to want help. It could well be that not enough USDM GD3s exist to warrant serious investments by vendors in aftermarket parts.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
subscribedddddd

Old 10-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned
For the interested parties, here is the new thread. See the last photo for the installed lower grill. The upper grill will be here late next week from the same eBay vendor- New thread is in "Fit It Yourself" forum.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...iy-photos.html

Feddup- it probably would not occur to custom grill manufacturers to make a grill that eliminates the "marque" of the car maker. Depending on how many interested and positive replies this thread and my double DIY thread receive, I may contact the grill vendor and suggest that they could sell a lot of upper grills made as a one-piece version. But, since these things "bolt over" the existing grill, a one piece grill would require you to cut out the raised "H". If not many people like the horizontal bar look, you'll have to find some other way to get rid of the badge.

I decided to throw in a photo on this thread too:

Last edited by manxman; 10-12-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 AM
"honda"

Feddup- it probably would not occur to custom grill manufacturers to make a grill that eliminates the "marque" of the car maker. Depending on how many interested and positive replies this thread and my double DIY thread receive, I may contact the grill vendor and suggest that they could sell a lot of upper grills made as a one-piece version. But, since these things "bolt over" the existing grill, a one piece grill would require you to cut out the raised "H". If not many people like the horizontal bar look, you'll have to find some other way to get rid of the badge.

I decided to throw in a photo on this thread too:

Manxman I'm proud to have chosen and own a Honda. I just think they don't need 20 different locations to sing the "Honda" praises. I like to debadge for the cleaner look that results. That lower grill looks sweet but before I jump I want a matching upper grill. I'm asking a lot for aftermarket MFRs to produce a grill for such a small market segment. I'm not holding my breath! A lot of "modders" seem to want to make their cars appearance to be "busier". I think the fit's lines are clean and simple. "Beauty through simplicity". Any mods I pursue will try to simplify the fits looks. I want it to look LESS busy!

Last edited by feddup; 10-14-2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Feddup- it probably would not occur to custom grill manufacturers to make a grill that eliminates the "marque" of the car maker.
Actually quite a few of them do eliminate logos and badges. Just as an example, I put a lower grille cover in my STi (talk about a huge opening!); the manufacturer of that piece makes a similar one for the upper grille that totally wipes out the "Seven Sisters". Most of their other grilles do too. Here's a link.

EDIT: Wow, someone in the LA area should volunteer their Fit to those guys. They'd have something for both openings in no time.

Last edited by wdb; 10-18-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 PM
cleaner

Originally Posted by wdb
Actually quite a few of them do eliminate logos and badges.
We're looking for options! I've got nothing against Honda but always prefer a simpler less cluttered look. Beauty through simplicity. The fit's lines are clean. I wish to amplify that effect. I see many peoples modded cars and the end effect is that they're cluttered and busy. They've kept adding "STUFF" till they made their cars uglier! I just want a clean front grill!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned
Well, after a test fit of the upper two-piece grill, I have to say you do not want a one-piece one from the same maker. Fit and finish were fine, but the look was horrendous. It made the Fit look like a PT Cruiser. Absolutely grotesque, even if painted black. So I sent them back to the vendor for a refund, and, sorry, I did not take any photos. If I keep the lower grill, I will paint it black to match the black of the upper grill.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
this is a really good idea (to help protect the condensor). The day after i read this, my wife called me saying her a/c was blowing hot air in her 4 month old accord. took it to honda on friday, and they called me saying a rock punched through the condensor. $700 just for the condensor

So needless to say, i will be looking at options to help protect it.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM
tried

Well, after a test fit of the upper two-piece grill, I have to say you do not want a one-piece one from the same maker. Fit and finish were fine, but the look was horrendous. It made the Fit look like a PT Cruiser.
I would have liked pics but I'm not into a PT cruiser/retro look. Still trying to get rid of the "BIG H" but I'm becoming resigned to it staying. Honda clearly wants brand recognition and I guess I better get used to the big Honda grin. It could be worse. I could be displaying the brand name for a maker who's vehicles suck gas, are undependable, loathsome to drive and tank in resale value the moment you drive them off the lot. I STILL want to lose the H!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gimme
this is a really good idea (to help protect the condensor). The day after i read this, my wife called me saying her a/c was blowing hot air in her 4 month old accord. took it to honda on friday, and they called me saying a rock punched through the condensor. $700 just for the condensor

Other people have posted that you can buy a replacement condenser from eBay or online parts stores and replace it yourself for a fraction of what dealers charge. If I were in your place, that is what I would do. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Other people have posted that you can buy a replacement condenser from eBay or online parts stores and replace it yourself for a fraction of what dealers charge. If I were in your place, that is what I would do. Good luck!
i ran that through my head. but luckily, my dealer warrantied it out. not saying they would do that for everyone, but every car i buy is from that dealership. The accord was car #9 for me there

Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned
i ran that through my head. but luckily, my dealer warrantied it out. not saying they would do that for everyone, but every car i buy is from that dealership. The accord was car #9 for me there
Wow! Very nice service from your dealer, and as you posted, taking steps to prevent this from happening ever again is really important to you, now. I started the thread to warn people that it CAN happen, and can easily be prevented. I just didn't think that someone would provide more graphic proof so soon.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 AM
wdb
5 Year Member

Grillcraft has you covered. Grillcraft - Genuine Sport Grilles - 2008 Honda Accord 2 Door - Featured Products - Grillcraft

I bought a lower grille for my STi and love it. I got one in black powdercoat; 50K highway miles with nary a nick. I bought direct from Grillcraft, then discovered a dealer selling them for less, so you may want to shop a bit first. But the fit and quality are very good.

Quick Reply: Billet Grills Prevent Damage to A/C Condensers