Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Disgusting....

Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Disgusting....

Frankly, I am shocked. I did this comparison in photoshop to see just how much the front end was extended for the North American model. One photo was a press photo of the North American Fit and the other was a photo I found on the web of Japanese model. I overlayed them on separate layers and blended 50%.

Take a look below and you will see it was extended A LOT. Its down right disgusting. I imagine this adds a lot of weight to the very front end of the car as well.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 PM
the original photos:

Old 04-16-2006, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Hey cool overlay. But I think disgusting is a really strong word. NA has the 5mph bumper rule, so what had to be done was done.

I personally dont think the change is that dramatic, and the added weight due to elongated bumper probably is minimal.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
That's what we get for our bumper-laws-- remember back to what they had to do to the '68 and newer MGB's to bring them in if you really want to cry! (Side note: I just noticed that I've gone from "new member" to "member" -- I guess it's based on #posts, whether or not they're useful to anyone, rather than time since joining-- very interesting.)

Last edited by Bill L; 04-16-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Isnt the bumper rule designed to protect the consumer?

Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 PM
It is kind of disappointing. But on the hand I was in a major accident last year. I've never been at fault and I wasn't in this one. After 300,000+ safe miles I just couldn't avoid it. I was sitting at a light and struck from behind at 45 mph.

My point is that stuff happens and those extra few inches will be useful here in the U.S. market, where a lot of heavy metal is being slung around by people having extremely important conversations on the phone.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Honda is adding safety features to all of their cars and a bunch of the folks who posts cry about the price being higher than stripped down models. THEY JUST DON'T KNOW.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
yea...i wasn't very happy at first when i heard that it was longer. But then there's always JDM front/back end conversion!!! :P

Old 04-17-2006, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not a JDM purist, but I like the extended bumper. It makes the Fit look a little sleeker.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM
I think it looks better that way.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:51 AM
I guess I am just a purist and hate when they change things from their original conception. I understand the crash regulations in US require more re-inforcement to meet standards over other countries. But, looking at it. They literally doubled the length of the front bumper. I'm just not sure that was completely necessary.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Tony,

Thanks for the pictures. It helps to see where the added 6.6 inches is added to the North American version of the Fit. I personally would have preferred to not have the extra length in front so the all of the JDM front bumpers would fit easily but like the fact that the car is safer. Like CharlieG mentioned you never know when you'll need it.

Bill L, after your 30th post your status changes from "New member" to "Member".

Old 04-17-2006, 09:15 AM
cool pics, thanks!!!

no wonder you have to change the front fender, hood, headlamps, and front bumper to do the jdm conversion. you can really see the difference in the leading edge of the front fenders.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Extended bumpers

Correct me if I'm wrong, neighbors to the north, but when I was in Montreal in the winter I noticed that virtually every vehicle was small, yet managing well in the snow. In Florida our roads are crammed with monster SUV gas guzzlers that never leave the flat, snow-free highway. Many of the people who drive them either have an ear stuck to a cell phone, or use the vehicle like a mobile WMD, zig-zagging through rush hour traffic and ploughing up the left lane at 20+ miles over the speed limit. I'm grateful for whatever armor Honda adds to protect me from road bullies.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by corey415
Hey cool overlay. But I think disgusting is a really strong word. NA has the 5mph bumper rule, so what had to be done was done.

I personally dont think the change is that dramatic, and the added weight due to elongated bumper probably is minimal.
Most of the weight gain--besides the longer bumpers needed to meet NHTSA bumper regulations for the 2.5 mph bumper rule--are for added safety equipment such as side airbags on door and side curtain airbags on roof, stronger side doors, and the addition of things like antilock brakes. That's why the North American market Fit is about 200-250 pounds more than the Fit/Jazz models sold elsewhere in the world.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I must say that I really like the JDM front end better, the USDM one just looks ungainly.

That sorta sucks that you really need to swap the entire front end to get the shorter overhang.....you can't just do the bumper.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
So then.......

How did the new Mini Cooper escape having an extra foot of bumper slapped on it!?!?!?!?!??????

I've seen those things all over and they barely have any bumper (front or back) They must be built tough as sh*t underneath, because those bumper covers alone certainly wouldn't meet the 5mph law.

I just don't understand how the Mini can pull it off and Honda can't???

Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 AM
That is a darn good question?!?!?!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Very nice comparison. I do kinda like the JDM better, but not enough to change anything. Would be a little easier to park though.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I want a small car to take advantage of really small parking spots, but I also like 5mph bumpers for the same reason. If you really want the shortest possible car, find yourself a Ford Festiva on eBay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disgusting....