Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Front Skirt Scrape Protection on Sport Model

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Front Skirt Scrape Protection on Sport Model

This afternoon I made a stop at a neighbor's house. They have a steeper driveway than mine. Enough of an angle (from the road to the driveway - both asphalt) to scrape the underside of my front skirt. When I got home, I looked under the front skirt, and sure enough there was a scrape on the bottom of the front skirt, through the silver storm color into the underlying black plastic.

Fortunately, it's only a small scrape, but I believe it's a sign of things to come with the low clearance on the Sport with the lower skirts all around.

Does anyone know of an after-market protective strip that can be adhered to the skirt's underside to protect it from future scrapes?

Old 06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
I just had the same experience with my VBP Fit Sport coming out of a driveway, as long as it isn't noticable I don't mind.

The only way anyone else will see the scrape is if anyone is crawling underneath my car, in which case you better have a damn good reason for being there.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
buy some aluminium and cut a stripout of that and stick it on the bottom

Old 06-04-2006, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...&submodel=4255

I've posted this elsewhere, but this looks like a great for at least a little protection from rocks, gravel, etc. while driving. Don't think I thin piece of film will protect against scrapping a curb or steep drive way, but useful nonetheless if you happen to take a lot of gravel or rock paved roads.

I will be getting the headlight/fog lamp kit, and may also invest in the hood/fender/mirror (Not sure if I will put the mirror ones on, dont see much of a point), but maybe the underlip stirp as well. If I do, I will take pics of installation process and before/afters. Cheers.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
This problem is not limited to the sport. I scraped a curb on my base model as well, right down to the frame. Sucks but really only noticeable to me and to those looking.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Just scraped a 4 inch gash in the bottom of my front skirt. I'm a bit a-nal about these things, so I'm wondering what the best way to touch it up is. Light sanding until smooth then touch-up paint? Any need for primer on this plastic part?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
My sister's driveway is a beast to get out of, without scraping either the front or back of any car... not just the Fit. Best way to avoid it is to come into and out of the driveway at a pretty heavy angle.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Just caught my first scrape about a week and a half ago. But mine isn't stock height so I kinda expected that. Damn those dips, speed bumps, and steep drive ways. Damn them all to hell.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Enter driveways at an angle. With have lowered cars for the past 12 years, it's a habbit.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
yeah dont you guys know how to go up curbs and speed bumps at an angle so you dont scrape? if you dont know what im talking about then next time you see a civic or integra that is lowered to the ground, follow them and see how they aproach curbs and speed bumps. lol.... it is only common sense when youre in a car thats low to the ground and you go up a steep driveway or big curb, it's gonna scrape. so either learn how to drive a low car or dont park on the driveway. theres no real way to protect it, a little thin film isnt going to do anything just becareful and use your common sense that god gave you all

Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
kos
Originally Posted by quangalang
yeah dont you guys know how to go up curbs and speed bumps at an angle so you dont scrape?
This is very true, a skill I had to learn after I dropped my lude. Go into driveways at angles, one wheel at a time. It really helps save your front skirt, bumper, whatever, from the damaging effects of planting your lower front end in asphalt or concrete.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Yup any driveway or speedbump instead of going head on, go in at an extreme angle nice and slow. My Integra is 3 inches off the ground so I've had good practice on how to maneveur and use evassive techniques, lol.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Would the same apply for going down steep hills? Please excuse my ignorance...this is all new to me.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
damn my Fit just happen the same problem when I get off the drive way from my friend house!!! I want to cry

The front skirt under left hand side got Scrape, NOT HAPPY at all!! Try to wash that part tomorrow then put some touch up paint on it!!!

Last edited by sy11580; 07-31-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
You guys are not the only one. I did it on my front lip/spoiler too on a steep drive way. I even went very slow and turn in a angle too!

The good thing is that its not cracked or noticable.

It suckes though....

Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
guess it's a good thing i own lowered cars previously. anyway. no need for EXTREME angles. just enough so you dont scrape again

Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
guess it's a good thing i own lowered cars previously. anyway. no need for EXTREME angles. just enough so you dont scrape again
ha ha....

got it

Old 07-31-2006, 11:43 PM
My wife used the bulldog product found at

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...nt_primer.aspx

On our odyssey's bumper, and it did a pretty good job. You need to use the adhesion promoter, then the primer, then the paint. Go wider than you think you need to. Really.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
easily done.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 AM
on my rx7, i glued a strip of 1/4 inch rubber to the bottom of my front spoiler. the front spoiler is made of carbon fiber so i could not afford to have it damaged.

and so far so good... there are some scrapes from rocks and stuff, and from accidentally not pulling the e brake up all the way, but it kept me from getting upset everytime i hit the curb.

im gunna go look in the garage if i still have the extra rubber stripping, if i do, whoever wants to try to put them on their fit will be more than welcome to have some of it. ill keep you guys posted if i find it

Quick Reply: Front Skirt Scrape Protection on Sport Model