Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Need new bumper help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Question Need new bumper help!

To make a long story short I fell asleep driving home from my buddy's house the other night and jumped my Fit into a ditch. Somehow managed to miss a house, mailbox, a half-dozsn trees and a gaurdrail. As far as I can tell, the.only damage was to the front bumped. Pretty amazing considering I jumped nearly 20 feet.

The majority of the bumper assembly is no longer. I think the fog housing is good and so is the grille. I also trashed the splash gaurds.

I would prefer to go OEM but the front spoiler lip alone is $320 from the dealer. Also most junk yards in my area don't have any 07 or 08 fit sport M/T's. I am considering just going aftermrket with a full mugen body kit or finding some used parts. If anyone has some advice or items for sale please let me know.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gavin-jarosz
To make a long story short I fell asleep driving home from my buddy's house the other night and jumped my Fit into a ditch. Somehow managed to miss a house, mailbox, a half-dozsn trees and a gaurdrail. As far as I can tell, the.only damage was to the front bumped. Pretty amazing considering I jumped nearly 20 feet.

The majority of the bumper assembly is no longer. I think the fog housing is good and so is the grille. I also trashed the splash gaurds.

I would prefer to go OEM but the front spoiler lip alone is $320 from the dealer. Also most junk yards in my area don't have any 07 or 08 fit sport M/T's. I am considering just going aftermrket with a full mugen body kit or finding some used parts. If anyone has some advice or items for sale please let me know.
I don't believe you the mugen kit is an actual bumper on the GD. At least it isn't on the GE. It's just a lip piece. You'd still need the actual bumper. I'd say your best bet is to order it from some one like cflhonda.com or bernardiparts.com and get it painted (or leave it unpainted depending on your budget). It will be a lot cheaper than getting it from a dealer though as I doubt the dealer was going to paint it.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
I couldn't believe it either. The total dealer cost to have everything ordered, mounted, and painted was close to $1200. Thats why I was looking into a a body kit for the whole car. The price wools be close to the same.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Go to bernardiparts and get their OEM lip which is prepainted and costs 225 to 233 depending on color plus shipping if I remember right. If you get a new bumper, holes for the fog lights WILL have to be cut out since a factory Sport bumper is essentially a Base bumper with precut and predrilled holes for the lip (same exact bumpers basically).

Just for the record, in order to get a REAL Mugen front body part on a GD chassis Fit such as ours, we'd have to do the JDM/EDM front end conversion in the process of installing said Mugen part and that would cost one purty penny.

Last edited by Hootie; 04-08-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Go to bernardiparts and get their OEM lip which is prepainted and costs 225 to 233 depending on color plus shipping if I remember right. If you get a new bumper, holes for the fog lights WILL have to be cut out since a factory Sport bumper is essentially a Base bumper with precut and predrilled holes for the lip (same exact bumpers basically).

Just for the record, in order to get a REAL Mugen front body part on a GD chassis Fit such as ours, we'd have to do the JDM/EDM front end conversion in the process of installing said Mugen part and that would cost one purty penny.

I didn't realize that about the Mugen, but it makes sense. I'll have to check that site out. My only other question is where can I get the Splash gaurded as mine are pretty chewed up/gone?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gavin-jarosz
I didn't realize that about the Mugen, but it makes sense. I'll have to check that site out. My only other question is where can I get the Splash gaurded as mine are pretty chewed up/gone?
Same place. Just do a search for the part.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
DON'T BUY SHIT FROM BERNARDIS!!!!.... They charged me $181 to ship $184 worth of parts that weighed 6 pounds... FedEx rates for the shipment was $26 according to the guy at the local FedEx store.....

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
DON'T BUY SHIT FROM BERNARDIS!!!!.... They charged me $181 to ship $184 worth of parts that weighed 6 pounds... FedEx rates for the shipment was $26 according to the guy at the local FedEx store.....
Holy shit.. Please tell me you contacted them about this.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You should always check the final charges and shipping before you buy, no?

Some places wanted to charge $15 shipping for 3 bolts, absurd. I simply searched for another site with a more reasonable, $1.75 shipping.

Shipping for some products on Bernardi's site is ridiculous, but others are okay. If they're asking too much for shipping, just buy it somewhere else.

Last edited by doctordoom; 04-10-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I found the same thing with shipping. The bumper assembly can"t weigh much more than 15 or 20lbs. and shipping was around $190. Kinda crazy if you ask me.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
The thing is the bumper is large. Shipping it costs a lot because it takes up so much space.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm in the same boat, i was in a restaurant eating dinner and when i came back out it looked like someone hit the front of my bumper with a trailer hitch... I spoke to a friend of mine who owns a body shop and he told me to look online for a new bumper and to make sure its CAPA Certified. which means it meets and exceeds OE standards. I've been looking around for a new bumper and found a few good deals, once I order one i'll post a link, and i'll take some pics once I receive it.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by abelardo
I'm in the same boat, i was in a restaurant eating dinner and when i came back out it looked like someone hit the front of my bumper with a trailer hitch... I spoke to a friend of mine who owns a body shop and he told me to look online for a new bumper and to make sure its CAPA Certified. which means it meets and exceeds OE standards. I've been looking around for a new bumper and found a few good deals, once I order one i'll post a link, and i'll take some pics once I receive it.
Ok thanks, I'm still looking and getting the funds together. The Fit looks so stupid driving around with no front bumper at all. If you find anything let me know.