Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

JDM Red "H" Badges

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned
JDM Red "H" Badges

For all of the old-hand JDM freaks, stop reading! You already know this. This info. is for new Fit owners who are attracted to the Red "H" badges.

I have a BBP Sport, and bought that color because when my '07 BOM Fit was wrecked, the BBP GE's were rare around here. I did not like the cheap looking chrome "H" emblems front and back, and I did not like the black hatch garnish strip that runs horizontally under the rear back chrome "H" emblem.

I was given a chrome garnish strip to cover the black plastic strip, but never really liked the chrome look on the back, and I have been slowly adding red accents to the car as contrast to the monochrome dark purple blandness of the car. Today I removed the chrome garnish strip.

So, I bought the front and back "Genuine JDM Red "H" badges" from JDMFire_Store on eBay. They arrived in real Honda bags with Honda part numbers, and were sold with the comment "will fit 2009 Honda Fit" among other Honda models. They seem to be legitimate Honda parts.

These were actually made to fit JDM '06-'11 Civics. The quality is great. However, since they actually were not made for Fits, the fit is a little off. They look OK, but I can see that they aren't quite right.

After looking all over the forums, I could not find Red badges that are actually made for Fits, and just assumed that they are not in existence. OK, fine.

For others who want the red badges, this vendor sells them for about $75.00 per set. Not a lot of money, but, any asshole with a knife or a screwdriver can pry them off your car. Knives and screwdrivers are issued to assholes at birth. My new badges will probably disappear, so keep that in mind before you buy some for yourself.

Again, only 3-M tape holds them on- the pins on the new badges do not fit the stock holes and have to be cut off and then ground flat for proper seating of the whole adhesive tape surface.

Installation is easy. Just use a flat-blade screwdriver to gently pry off your stock chrome "H" letters. That will leave the rest of the emblem plastic in place. The "H" letters are held on with two pins like little rivets, and your prying will break the pin away from the fastener inside the emblem.

Wash, dry, and use an alcohol swab to clean the flat surface of the remaining plastic emblem, then use wire cutters to cut off the pins on the backs of the front and back new Red "H" emblems. The holes from your stock "H" are not located in the same place as the pins on the new red emblems. Use a Dremel Tool to grind off the high spot left by the cut-off pins.

The fit of the new emblems is not exact, so positioning is critical with the 3-M double-face tape that holds the new emblems onto the stock plastic surfaces. The rear emblem is slightly smaller than the mounting area on the car, so positioning is even more critical on the rear.

I fully expect to have to buy new stock chrome "H"-es when the red ones disappear, but at least the stock holes are still where they belong and replacement chrome letters can't cost much.

The red emblems do make a nice accent with the purple car, so this was worthwhile at least for now. This was a silly waste of money, but I don't care.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
has anyone installed using the pins? if i did do this mod, thats the way I would go.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by True Adrian
has anyone installed using the pins? if i did do this mod, thats the way I would go.
The pins DO NOT FIT the location of the stock holes. You would have to drill new holes, and would have to guess where to drill them. And even if you were successful in using pins, they would not prevent thieves from prying off the new emblems, just as you pried off the stock chrome ones.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned
See,ya need to read all of the words in a post to understand that post. But buy the JDM badges and try to mount them in the stock holes and let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
... And even if you were successful in using pins, they would not prevent thieves from prying off the new emblems, just as you pried off the stock chrome ones.
Quick... take a picture!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Quick... take a picture!
What- so that I can remember what they used to look like?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by True Adrian
I just put mine on last night. The pins on the new emblems do not match the old holes.

There's no strenght advantage in drilling new holes. They are also not long enough to put new crimps on the back of the grill to hold the pins if you were to drill new holes. The new badges have thick 3m tape.

The area where the back emblem fits on a 2012 is a little bowed or curved outwards. You really have to push on the top of the emblem hard to make it conform to the shape of the car. So far the 3M tape is holding.If it pops out at the top I will have to use a strong adhesive. If that doesn`t work I might have to dremel out that curve. Time will tell.

As described elsewhere there are 3 lips and two raised plastic hole nubs that have to be removed from the front grill to accept the new badge. I used a fresh razor blade and prayed to the Honda Gods that I wouldn't slip and damage the car outside the emblem area. My prayers were answered and it was smooth sailing. (coy reference to my RS badge)

But oh! man! do they look sharp!!!!! I also added the RS rear badge. Wicked wicked wicked.

Now I just have to decide if the front RS badge is worth 60 bucks (it is. I'm just oh humming). It clips on using a plastic backing and bolts/nuts. Probably requires a mod to make it fit on a 2012 grill and the location will not match the original JDM RS location. And the location is right in front of the air scoop that brings fresh air to the air intake...decisions decisions.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-05-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't think there's a red honda emblem specifically for the fit because they don't offer them as a type R version in Japan... lol

Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mclovintsx
I don't think there's a red honda emblem specifically for the fit because they don't offer them as a type R version in Japan... lol
That is correct. The JDM H emblems are not made specifically for the Fit. We carry all the JDM Honda Red H emblems, so we usually cross reference the sizes between the vehicles to determine which ones best fit the Honda Fit.

If anyone else is interested, or in need of JDM emblems, feel free to contact me, as we also usually stock, or bring in these parts.

Thanks.

Jason @ AJR