General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
k, got a call from the wife for something and she also noted she hit the GK's side mirror against a concrete wall at the library parking this pm.

WOOT, time to sell the car!! woohoo~

.. oh wait.. she said she dont care about the scratch.

boohoo~

Old 10-28-2017, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Would not replace car if she's going to hit more stuff with it

Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Would not replace car if she's going to hit more stuff with it
i agree, she too agrees.

this is why she doesnt want a nice car

Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
That's the reason I didn't replace the Fit, until I redo my backyard I have to street park my daily when I use the S2000, I'm not going to street park an S3 lol.

Also the reason my ex had a seven year old Fit and not something closer in age to mine (In retrospect that was a great outcome )

Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
yah, makes sense! hey we can make our little S3 group once i get one in a few.

oh mang u and your girl split?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Yis! I'm a few out as well. Aiming for 2020 replacing the Fit.

Yep, early last summer. All's well that ends well.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
yah, 3yrs out is good timing for me too.

sorry to hear, but good to hear smooth landing.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
alright goodam, pulling out my R for some motoring fun followed by washing my GTI.

right now temp is just above freezing but expected to be at 36F by the time i'm back from my drive so should be perfect weather to wash my car. after wipe down with hydro, will solidify with HydroMax to seal.

then i should be getting my STI's weathertechs today, will install that, and rest of the day some house chores and relax.

have a good sunday everyone!

Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
My car is ready for storage.

It looks so stupid.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
funnyons!! haha luv that snack.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
alright motored my R this am, had a great time. with the soundactor at 50% volume the howling noise blends nicely into the tire noise. the reason why i noticed the howling was because i had the soundactor set at 60% volume and the DWS06 are quieter tires than the Contisport 5p's i was running before. makes sense.

washed the GTI this am, while doing so the weathertechs for my STI arrived. installed them but they needed to be reshaped a little bit before fitting properly.. seems like the box got hot in storage or something and deformed the liners. anyway fits nicely now.

then HydroMax'ed the GTI.. now the car has like a teflon finish.

also did the GK's oil change. the rear 2 plastic tabs on the lower shroud..one was missing and the one left on the car was like half broken, ready to fall off too. wat a pos. and how honda angled the oil filter is so faktarded. oil gets all over the filter housing as one unthreads the thing. why they didnt just place it horizontally is a mystery, cause then there would be no oil on the housing while unthreading. anyway, used 2 new push tabs (plastic rivets) on the shroud and finished the change, immediately went out to recycled the old oil. i wanted to get this out of the way as working on the GK is such a chore. no fun

i checked the side mirror she hit yesterday at the structural parking garage. yah, took a good hit but there is only some paint transfer and no cracks so im just going to leave it as is. next time im definitely going to buy a car im going to enjoy fiddling around with even if my wife's going to be the primary driver.

placed order for a new air filter as i realized the thing has over 24k miles. i changed the cabin filter earlier this summer.

now, finally getting around to relaxing..

Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
back to the grind.. luckily this week i have no biz trips planned.. well so far dat is.
going to enjoy driving my freshly polymer-sealed GTI to work.

as far as car stuff this week, the only thing planned is checking the undercarriages of my GTI and STI to look for any areas that need touching up before winter, then swap air filter on the GK. will check the R's under carriage next weekend but since i already touched up a few spots a few months ago i dont expect any touch up needed.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like everyone had a good weekend.

Yeah Mike...poor s2k and its OG shoes. So you wont drive it at all for winter?

Kenchan...will any of your cars go into storage? Or will all 3 be driven?

Washed the Miata and Civic this weekend. Really need to restore the miata headlights...cloudy/hazy headlights make the front end look fugly. I have a sylvania restore kit which is the same kit I used on the GE and it worked amazing...just havent gotten around to it.

Was originally thinking of plastidipping the windshield frame black. But now I'm thinking gloss black vinyl would look nicer.

What do you guys think? Maybe even the side view mirrors...but Im not sure Im "cool" enough to wrap such a curved surface.

Reason I want to do either is because there is a tiny cut/split in the paint in the door jam by the top of the windshield. It has surface rust/seepage and I want to prevent it from getting worse so figure dip or vinyl will prevent more water getting in.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I would definitely do black windshield surround.

S2000 will be in storage from next weekend until Aprilish.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- nice looking miata you got there!

yah i'm not hibernating my STI nor R and will take them out on dry days. i don't want to be a sitting duck in the snow so don't plan on driving in bad weather. i have rc cars for such days.

as for the black window frame, if the frame is smooth i recommend glossy black vinyl but if there are imperfections, might want to prime and sand prior to vinyl or just do the plasti dip. matte vinyl can hide some imperfection but u will still notice it probably.

as for the mirrors it will be tricky to do a wrap. but not impossible if using lots of heat and patience. might even consider doing it in 2 pieces top and bottom to make it easier...

Old 10-30-2017, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't hesitate to do any of the methods you suggested. Just have to throw out there that I used plasti-dip on a section of my Lincoln a couple years ago and it still looks great after sitting outside through multiple seasons and countless car washes.

If applied correctly, the stuff is amazing. Most don't take the time to do it right because they are using it as a temporary coating, but if treated like paint where you prep, mask, and tape and do many thin coats, it can look great.

Matched the OEM black plastic trim quite well, but years later looks better than the trim. I may do the black plastic trim next.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
yah i found that plastidip's overspray is sticky vs regular paint sprays so i suggest you do it in an area where you have everything else covered... or outside or right up next to ur neighbor you don't likes car. . haha

getting off the overspray can be a huge mess of a job..

Old 10-30-2017, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah i found that plastidip's overspray is sticky vs regular paint sprays so i suggest you do it in an area where you have everything else covered... or outside or right up next to ur neighbor you don't likes car. . haha

getting off the overspray can be a huge mess of a job..
Agreed! I did it out in the open and masked a lot of the car. Would definitely have to fully cover that convertible top with a sheet or something. Overspray would not be good on that fabric.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys.

Mike- I see the s2k has a black frame if Im not mistaken. Looks real nice.

Kenchan- Not my Miata but just an example of what mine would look like with the black frame.

I originally considered Dip...even bought a can of flat black and a can of glossifier. The issue I have is all the prep to cover everything so it doesnt get overspray haha.

I dipped the GE diffusers and it turned out great which is why I considered that first.

I ended up buying some 3M black gloss vinyl along with some yellow clear vinyl for the fogs this morning. $20 for a 24x60" gloss black and $5 24x12 yellow. Should be more than enough to do my frame and attempt the side mirrors with some room for error. The yellow should be more than enough to do my fogs on the miata AND civic.

Seems like I'd have to do the frame in (3) pieces. the (2) vertical pieces, then the (1) long horizontal piece. Hopefully I can make the overlap real small/nonexistent. Dont think i can do a solid piece and "bend" it around the corner.

Guess worst case I can remove the side view mirrors and dip them haha.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Agreed! I did it out in the open and masked a lot of the car. Would definitely have to fully cover that convertible top with a sheet or something. Overspray would not be good on that fabric.
yah doing it in the open is very smart!

Originally Posted by shinjari
Thanks guys.

Kenchan- Not my Miata but just an example of what mine would look like with the black frame.

I originally considered Dip...even bought a can of flat black and a can of glossifier. The issue I have is all the prep to cover everything so it doesnt get overspray haha.

Seems like I'd have to do the frame in (3) pieces. the (2) vertical pieces, then the (1) long horizontal piece. Hopefully I can make the overlap real small/nonexistent. Dont think i can do a solid piece and "bend" it around the corner.

Guess worst case I can remove the side view mirrors and dip them haha.
i c yah, i would go as far as making a template using painter's blue tape and then placing it over your vinyl to get the basic layout. with curves it makes it a tad more challenging to get the initial shape.. at the end though, ud want to cut/tuck the vinyl i thinks.. at least that is how i would do it. GL!!

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?