General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Hey guys! Had a quick weekend.

-Ken/GAFIT - totally agree on used car prices. people are crazy.

-Ash - have fun in the NA Miata! Patched up the soft top and we will see how the RTV Silicone and stitching hold up.

-Mike410b - sucks about the slush, hope it clears up and you can get some safe/fun scenic driving in soon.

-9Expo - cool work on the certification. Always helps to have more work applicable skills.

As for me, continued work on backyard/firepit. I'd say about 75% done with frames and then ready for concrete. Gotta get some quotes.

Had some friends in town so Friday night - Sunday morning was eating and drinking lol. Stomach was pleased....wallet was not.

Our Staffy decided to chew up and eat some of a plastic cooking ladle... so she's been throwing up and pooping pieces of plastic....hope it passes soon.

Back to the grind.

Pics of our pups enjoying the miata a few weeks ago, civic stuffed with (4) 10ft and (10) 8ft 2x4s and 50lb bags of gravel and the miata top repair.

Last edited by shinjari; 04-16-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
That is a thorough top repair.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, we will see how it holds up. $10 in materials and a few hours of time for a decent looking functional repair is better than $400+ for a new top.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds like a fun sunday for shinjari

are there more picts in your post? i only see the miata tops and others are little broken link boxes. (?)

Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
oooo now i see picts of pups

Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
my buddy is checking with his dealer wat kinda deal we can get on two new DSG Golf-R's if we bought them together.. most dealers are selling at msrp which is a tad over 42k right now which means just shy of 45K otd. kinda high considering i paid 42k otd on my R cash last year.

so i suppose 43k otd would be a good price since there is a 1k premium for DSG which is about 39k+ before tax. will see.

only thing ill do to the car is clearbra, tint, rear 10mm spacers, resonator delete. going to leave the engine stock until cobb releases a stage1 for it.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
alright another day at the office. looks like im going to be coming home every night this week. i need to do the oil change on my STI and R soon.. maybe i can do one of the cars before the weekend, if not will aim for saturday am to do both cars so that i dont need to pull out my tools twice. yes lazy

but the roads are salted again so not sure.. id like to take the car out after doing oil changes. not that they need test drives, but i like to pull them out after working on them.

have a good tuesday everyone!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
hummmm wat do u know..t-storm expected this week.

should wash off the roads nicely.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah that sounds like a good plan for the DSG-R Kenchan.

I was washing the civic this weekend and noticed some imperfections in the front bumper, grill and even headlights....not happy about it...Not sure if its from my trip out to Phoenix a few months back or just daily driving...

Considering getting headlight clear bra at least. Not sure I can convince the 'boss' of a full front. I had this conversation when I first bought the car. "You want to spend $X on some plastic to cover your car?". *sigh*.

Drove the miata today. Soft top is sealed and no more wind noise coming through the damaged area. Pretty happy.

Also reminds me that I should get Oil for all 3 cars...Civic minder is at 20%, Miata is due soon and Elantra is due in less than 2k.

Last edited by shinjari; 04-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
yah the other option is to repaint the front bumper every 3 yrs but i prefer not handing my cars to the body shop as there is so much dust at those places i hate getting my car back with any sign of dust inside and out and engine bay. color matching issues new scratch and dings etc etc

i never understood the wife CFO thing i hear with couples. my wife and i share the same bank accounts and credit cards and all but we never comment negative things to wat we buy for our hobbies. mutual respect there.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah we don't necessarily share money/bank accounts, but since money is tight decisions between needs and wants have to be discussed.

I mean car people know where Im coming from and she appreciates a good looking car but isn't privy to the extent that true car people want to take care of their cars.

I mean my car is white for pete's sake. I dont want it looking pitted like the Miata. If it were black...at least the chips are hidden until you get right up on it.

Maybe after the backyard is done and I can allocate some funds for the car I can get it done. Still a cool $1500 to get 3m or xpel done by a reputable shop. I mean I'm the only one who knows about the tiny tiny imperfections because I wash it frequently. I'm thinking it was the trip to phoenix where we got hit by a few dirt devils...

What color R are you thinking Kenchan?

Speaking of Phoenix, our friends who visited this weekend, the husband has a 13-14 Gti and I pulled a code for him while he was here. P2015 iirc, something about the intake manifold sensor...hopefully nothing too crazy. He JUST past 60k miles.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
black and dark colored cars chip white (primer underneath) so it’s no less work. chip is a chip and it gets nasty very quick.

i’m looking at getting a blue R this time as the new wheels look okay on the car. second choice is the grayish sand color.

mk6 GTI huh? cool. huh, hope his car is okay. 60k miles. wow my R has like 2.5k miles lol.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah just got a hold of him. P2015 means the intake manifold sensor is bad...which is integrated to the entire manifold. So he had to replace the ENTIRE manifold.

Pre-2012 GTI's got their intake manifold warranties extended to 120k...he's gonna call and try and get it covered even though his is newer. Same BS.

Hmmmm regarding paint, I guess it depends on manufacturer. GF's Hyundai is Black Metallic, and under the bumper its black. I have (1) chip in the bumper already and it shows black on the civic.

The grayish sand is a cool color. Theres one here at work.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
dang i think on my GTI the sensor is a separate piece from the manifold. regardless this car is so reliable i like it a lot.

yah maybe they have black primers. smart for them to use!

the new R’s come with that odd looking directional spoke wheels. but i think they look alright and easy to keep the car looking clean. the brakes dust so bad on these cars.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah some OEM directional wheels are weird. My civic wheels are directional, but subtle. Some others are pretty obvious and look good on one side of the car....but weird on the other side.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
so true!

Old 04-17-2018, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Yeah just got a hold of him. P2015 means the intake manifold sensor is bad...which is integrated to the entire manifold. So he had to replace the ENTIRE manifold.

Pre-2012 GTI's got their intake manifold warranties extended to 120k...he's gonna call and try and get it covered even though his is newer. Same BS.
That's absurd and sooo German.

I have been considering a 335/340 BMW. With a bit of work, they can be pretty darn fast. Only problem is they have an open rear differential. I won't own a car with an open rear diff, so...aftermarket. Several options of brands, but...BMW WELDS the ring gear to the differential. I have absolutely never heard of welding a ring gear to a differential and it serves NO purpose. Kind of like a sensor integrated into the manifold. Just German's being German.

To change the differential on a 335 you have to send off the whole unit and have it CNC cut apart. Net result is that it becomes thousands of dollars instead of hundreds. I may just not be a German kind of car owner.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
those 340’s are so lifted look i question where all the bimmer designers went. open diff on a rwd might get messy..

Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'd love an S3, but I don't think I can trust the Germans to make a car I depend on.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
alright, finally home, got gas along the way in my GTI. car definitely needs a wash but still looks cool with the wider 19's. besides a wash, the car definitely needs awd..

..fak..fell asleep while typing. lol (was out 45min or so..)

anyway my buddy said he spoke to his dealer today and can probably get the 2 DSG-R's around 42k otd (no trade-in), but the DSG in blue is already taken and has one in black and white. rest are MT's.

hummm..i dont want a black one and already have a white R so will need to wait for the next batch coming early may if buying from this dealer. oh well.. i suppose i can check with my dealer where i bought my GTI cause they have both blue and gray in stock in DSG.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?