General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Did you go with the AS05?
No, General G-Max RS. $400 from tire rack with a $70 mail in rebate so $330!! I almost went with the mighty PSS that everyone raves about but decided to give these a try after some reviews I read compared it to them and said they were close.

https://generaltire.com/tires/performance/g-max-rs

TBH that ride height isn't that bad, looks comfortable haha
Lol it is pretty comfy. The 17's should ride nicer then the 18's as well. No I guess it's really not that bad which is why I am not to bothered by it not being lowered. Once lowered wheel spacers will be ordered also to finish off the "stance". I am going for hella functional rather then hella flush!!

Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm now a week into using the Fit as my daily.

I forgot how much I like the little thing. It certainly has its share of quirks and is insanely underpowered for mountain use, but I'm honestly enjoying it. Makes me want to replace the Lincoln with a truck even more knowing that I could just bounce between the two. Plus, I have enough parts piled up to make the Fit much more entertaining. Picked up a dash kit and wiring for it so that I can bring it into modern times. Figure a HU with nav, sirius, back up camera, car play, etc will greatly improve the experience for me. Well...that and the power, suspension, and brake upgrades that can start once I have my daily back.

That being said, I have a business trip next week and will definitely be taking our Golf for that. I forgot just how noisy it is inside a Fit for daily use. It's like driving a Coke can on wheels.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
That being said, I have a business trip next week and will definitely be taking our Golf for that. I forgot just how noisy it is inside a Fit for daily use. It's like driving a Coke can on wheels.
When I went on my 1.5 hour drive to get my wheel fixed I remember thinking how comfortable I was and how I would have already had to adjust my position many times in the Fit. The Golf will be great for that!!

Old 04-01-2019, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Have any of you owned a Subaru? namely a Forester or Outback? After going out to Sedona to visit friends to hike...it further solidified the need for a vehicle that can go on roadtrips and off pavement without me puckering my @$$ preparing for a scrape. I always said I'd get a truck/suv...but getting 15-18ish MPG just seems ridiculous. Also my buddies 4runner was actually kinda uncomfy. GF and I kept having to reposition ourselves to be remotely comfy for the 2 hour drive from Phoenix to Sedona.

Figure I don't 'need' a rock crawler and Foresters/Outbacks have the same ground clearance as a base 4runner to get me to like 99% of the places we would even consider going.

Detailed the Civic yesterday and tried the new Chemical guys clay and the Griots Finishing sealant. Regarding the clay, it works and makes the surface smooth...BUT...it's not very aggressive about pulling up contaminants. Probably wouldn't care so much if my car wasn't white and I can see every iron deposit in the paint. I'd say the OG Clay from CG is equivalent to the Mothers brand. So at this point I would have to say I prefer the Meguiars clay as it pulls up contaminants much more aggressively than CG or mothers.

Since I was low on Meguiars Ultimate Polish I decided to try Griots Finishing Sealant which is an all-in-one polish, cleaner and sealant. Paired with my finishing pad it did pretty darn good. I'd say 90% of all spiderwebs/swirls were gone and the 10% that remained you'd have to be looking at the panel at JUST the right angle in the light to see the imperfection. Maybe if I used a polishing pad instead, it would have corrected it better, or if I made slower/longer passes. Regardless I'm pretty happy with it. I'll post some pics in a bit

​​​​​​​Look at the mayhem Spring has caused on my drive from San Diego to Phoenix and back. 350 miles each way, 5 hours. Poor bugs...poor front end.

See all the contaminants in the paint?! Sheesh! That's not dirt....every one of those dots had to get pulled up by the clay bar. This is on the rear bumper cover and hatch. Clearly the areas that are the dirtiest.

When my garage is my workshop, I gotta use my pop up tent and tarps for proper shade.

6 hours later and here she is. So shiny!

Last edited by shinjari; 04-01-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have never owned a Subaru, but two of my friends have owned several. Problem with Subaru is they have switched to cvt's and aren't nearly as capable as they once were. The pairing of low power and the programming to help the cvt survive equates into a vehicle that will actually forward stall. As in, the car will stop forward momentum while floored without even spinning the tires. It cuts power to save the weak cvt and will refuse to climb.

Have you considered the Toyota Rav4 Adventure or a VW Tiguan? Heck, I'd even look at the Kia Sportage. Anything, but a cvt if you need offroad capability of any kind.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
I've read about the CVT but it seems with the combination of X-mode, VDC, Torque vectoring, TCS and the paddle shifters you can do pretty well. Plus I was looking at the 2.0 turbo in the forester or the 3.6 in the outback.

Funny you mention the Rav4. A friend of ours is going to be out of the country for a few months so we will have her 2012 Rav4 4wd...so it'll be a good test. I don't care for the interior as it looks 'cheap'...but if it works...hard to complain about Toyota reliability. Not that Subaru's aren't reliable.

I just need to get down some trail heads/fire roads and the occasional visit to snow. 8.7" of ground clearance (Subaru) should be plenty sufficient. Rav4 has 7.5" and whereas 4th gen 4runners have 9".

Plus the Subarus get mid-high 20's MPG which is nice. Granted if I do the math...the MPG difference honestly is like $500-600 more a year if I get a 4runner vs the Subaru so maybe I shouldn't care so much lol.

Last edited by shinjari; 04-01-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
The new Rav4 has little in common with the older models. Especially the interior. Oh, and they have 8.6" of ground clearance. Tiguan is 7.9".

Civic is looking SHARP! Would it be getting traded in on the all wheel drive car?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Look at the mayhem Spring has caused on my drive from San Diego to Phoenix and back. 350 miles each way, 5 hours. Poor bugs...poor front end.
I drove out to Palm Springs and back over the weekend (only ~100 miles each way) and the front end was covered in bug guts. One kid was grossed out, the other one could not wait to scrub them off with the car-wash-mitt. Soon, very soon, I will no longer need to wash my own cars.

Civic looks beautiful. Great job on cleaning her up.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks GAFIT and marmaladedad! I'm really happy with the Civic and how its turned out. All it 'needs' now is some wheels and maybe some koni dampers if they ever come out.

As for the SUV/Crossover dilemma...if I'm going newish (2013+) then it'd likely replace the Civic. But if I'm going older like 2005+....it'll likely just be a 3rd vehicle in the family.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Your Civic looks great. Sorry about the 1.5 billion bugs crushed on the front end. At least they should come off relatively easy since the paint is slick underneath.

I've had 2 Subaru Foresters. A 2000 & a 2005 XT, both automatics. They were both great cars & will easily do what you want as far as rough road duty goes. I like the new Foresters & the CrossTrek especially. Yes they have a CVT, but the Subaru awd system is one of the best out there. You'll need to drive a few & see it it is passable for you. I'd buy a used one, but make sure it is a CPO car. I'd want that warranty to cover the CVT.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Ash. Yeah the bugs came off rather easily. Just so many of them.

Yeah the GF and I REALLY like the Crossteks and how it looks. The only concerns I've heard are it feels underpowered and its honestly not much if any larger interior-wise than my civic. I mean my civic has 22cu ft seas up and 46 cu ft ith seats down vs the crosstek 20cu ft seats up and 55 with seats down. Since we travel with our pups, it's likely with seats up...so the Civic actually edges out the crosstek here.

As for the forester, I like the previous gen due to the ability to get a 2.0L turbo...but am not overly enthused about the way it looks. Kinda dig the new 2019 in the looks department.
Outback is nice if you get the 3.6L, more cargo capacity and towing capacity vs the forester/crosstek. Similar mpg (20/27) as the 2.0L turbo forester (23/27). Non-turbo Forester/crosstek get 26/32.

You are right on the have to drive some to see if it's something I can live with.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah the GF and I really like the Crosstek, only complaint I've heard I it feels underpowered. Also my Civic has more cargo capacity with the seats up (22 vs 20) and since we travel with the dogs that's how we usually have it. Seats down the Crosstek has 55 vs my civic with 46.

Forester was nice since it had a 2.0L turbo option (23/27 mpg) but I'm just not a fan of the styling of them. The newer one seems nice...but lost the 2.0L motor option. 32ish cuft seats up, 70ish seats down.
Outback is nice in the 3.6L (20/27 mpg) and has a better interior than the Forester, but costs more. 35cuft seats up, 73cuft seats down.
4runner gets 18/20 and has 46cu ft seats up and up to 89 seats down.

Who knows. I keep reading about Subarus and head gaskets and burning oil.

Like you said ASH, gotta try them out to see what works. Happy hump day everyone.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
A good friend has a CrossTrek and is really, really disappointed in the power and the CVT. The thing has to sit at 4,000 rpm on ANY grade on the Interstate. The result is poor fuel mileage at higher speeds and high interior noise.

His Mom has an older Outback with the 3.6 and a real transmission. He keeps begging to buy it from her. She also gets offers to buy it every time she goes to the dealer for an oil change. Everyone wants the older subaru's with gear based transmissions.

Before you delve too deep into the thought of a new Subaru, make sure you do a serious test drive. My two friends that are Subaru fanatics say they are switching brands next time. One because of repairs and the other because of the CVT.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
For sure. I'm definitely leaning towards the 4runner to be honest haha, but I want to give the Subaru a chance.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
For sure. I'm definitely leaning towards the 4runner to be honest haha, but I want to give the Subaru a chance.
For 2020 Toyota is supposed to get with the times and actually have car play and/or android auto. Their current entune system outright sucks.

That being said, the 4Runner is probably one of the best vehicles currently made. I wish they still had the v8 option. Have to go to the Lexus GX for that. I keep looking at those used as an option, but man do they hold their value.

I'd be tempted to find a good condition used 4Runner and just factor in the cost of dumping the entune system and putting in a Pioneer or Alpine complete unit. If you read through Tacoma and 4Runner boards, it seems that's what most do and recommend. Kind of sad given the cost of these vehicles, but at least then you have dependability and modern equipment.

My same friend that owns the Crosstrek (wife's vehicle) went through all the options and ended up buying a used 2015 Tacoma for himself. That's the last year that the Tacoma still had a truck motor. The 3.5 Taco's are horrible. 4Runner, thankfully, soldiers on with the 4.0 for now.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah if I ended up with a 4th gen (likely vs 5th gen) I'd definitely be installing a audio system that supported apple play and android auto. My current Pioneer in the Civic is the model right before they started supporting that. Not the end of the world but would've been nice.

Yeah I heard the 3.5L is sluggish vs the 4.0.

Just checked out Toyota.com and there is a Rav4 hybrid AWD (40mpg!) now and next year a TRD Off-road edition haha.

Last edited by shinjari; 04-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
if anyone goes new subie... pm me.... im an "ambassador"... aka.... i can help knock down some bucks

Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
if anyone goes new subie... pm me.... im an "ambassador"... aka.... i can help knock down some bucks
Will keep that in mind! So who is your pony in this race? Forester 2.0XT? Outback 3.6?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
You too? I'm out of coupons, though. Subaru specifically disallowed the sharing of coupons on forums, BTW.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Wait so the new Toyotas have Apple CarPlay but NOT Android Auto? Apple users make up about 1/3 of the market...no love for the other 2/3s?

Don't think I've ever thought I'd hear myself say "I really like the new Rav4"...but here I am...liking the new Rav4. Lol.

Last edited by shinjari; 04-04-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?