Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Hello from Brooklyn USA!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Smile Hello from Brooklyn USA!

Hey guys I've been lurking for about 2 years now. I've been driving my 2 door 2004 Ford Focus SVT with EAP package for the last year and a half (a ZX3 the year prior). It handles magnificently! As much as I LOVED driving that car, it was not without problems (SO many mechanical headaches). She got hit last week by a bus and the damage will likely total her. This was probably for the best because I will probably have a child in the next year or so and need 4 doors.

I was eying the Ford Focus ST and Fiesta ST as replacements. I test drove my friend's 2013 Focus ST. Loads of power but cramped and lacked steering feel. The Recaros were very uncomfortable for me. I REALLY wanted to love the Fiesta ST. Most of the Fiesta reviewers says it's one of the best driver's cars out there for the money. Unfortuntely the FiST I sat in at the car show felt even MORE cramped (claustrophobic even) and had WAY less usable space for storage. It doesn't have the cargo mode that made the Focus hatch spacious.

I noticed several firefighters I worked with who owned the previous gen Fits. Going by specs at the time they struck me as a little underpowered which seems remedied by the new Earthdreams DI engine. The current Fit impressed me the moment I sat inside. It used every inch of space so efficiently. I was completely shocked that length is the same as the Fiesta ST and yet it has seemly twice the space inside.

I'm not an Fit owner yet but I'm 90% convinced I will buy one. I haven't decided if it will be new or used. I have a Zipcar membership and will do an extensive test drive with their Fit. Unfortunately they only have the CVTs available. I really want the 6MT. (Any 6MT owners in the NYC area?)

Hope the test drive proves the car to not only be functional but fun handling as well. Maybe in the coming weeks and months I will call myself a Fit owner.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:20 PM
good luck on your search. Just make sure you get the MT model as the CVT tend to have more issues. Other than that these cars are fun and very fuel efficient and the space inside was what made me choose the FIT.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Thanks. Didn't know the CVTs had issues. Surprising since those are now made in Japan. I was concerned about the MT being too loud on the highway but most of my driving is in the city. Until I get a chance to test drive a MT Fit, I was thinking of renting a CVT Fit from Zipcar to mimic the 3k RPM at 60MPH. But Zipcar probably is using the LX trim though. I don't think you can select the virtual "gears" like you can in the EX's paddle shifter.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 AM
I have a manual 6-speed Fit, 2015

The "noise" reviewers whined about is LESS that my Scion Xa had by a long shot. The exhaust growl is only noticeable when REALLY getting after it. I chalked the whining off to reviewers being from California[edit]. I've had my car for almost two weeks and it's awesome. The factory stereo is sucky but I'm looking at signal processors to add amps and better speakers and most likely a sub. But DO NOT concern yourself about that "noise". The SVT Focus was louder.

Last edited by sam; 07-06-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no cvt issues here on my wife's GK. i dont read much about cvt problems on da fit.. honestly ive not read one post about cvt problems in the general GK forum so its very rare.

if ure wanting a fun to drive hatch with some umph, id go for the fiesta ST out of ur choice. if u want even more power, get the GTI.
if u want daily utility type car, get the Fit. it's a great car for dat.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
slappy76

Both auto and 6 speed manual both have good points. You should test drive both. Then you can see the difference.

James