Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

A real Sub and Amp setup for the Honda Fit!!! (USDM)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
A real Sub and Amp setup for the Honda Fit!!! (USDM)

I was sort of fed up with the tutorials i have seen on how to wire things up for the Fit.

So i was taking photos of what i was doing to get my system setup. Sadly i haven't completed the whole thing, and need to rewire the trunk area so that i can make the speaker wires easier to unplug (using banana plugs) and somehow make the power cables easier to unplug and hide when needed, and still be safe (some sort of cap maybe)

Either way, here it starts.

My engine bay, this is what i had to work with.

My choice was to go as close to the hood as possible, following the ECU cable harness as a way to hold my power cable.

So...

Step 1, get the power cable laid to the trunk (or where ever you want to have the amp, mine just happens to be in the trunk. First you need to get it through the firewall, without cutting into the walls, on my car (2007 Honda Fit USDM) i was unable to get the power cable to go through the original funnel rubber thing, and HAD to cut it(only choice i had, really....)
So, i used a hanger to get through the funnel, and this was how i attempted to get my power cable through, but failed.

First i had to peel back the electrical tape holding it all together.

Then i passed a hanger with lots of electrical tape to protect my ECU harness from being cut by the hanger end.

Then with a razor blade, and some pulling force to stretch the rubber funnel, i began slitting the funnel against the hanger (so as not to cut into the wire harness. I repeated the slitting till i cut all the way through, and there was enough space under the hanger to pass the power cable.

Then pass the power cable through and catch it on the other side.

since i had prepped the area already by removing the glove compartment and the foot heater (links will be added later) i could easily catch the cable

but then my neat freak senses were tingling, and i didn't like the fact that i was running the power cable in between all the different ECU connectors, so i re routed the power cable to go through under that mess =P

Then i had to start passing the power cable under the floor boards, starting with the first one, i personally tucked it in, then i managed to pop off the whole floor board by accident.

Kept on going through the floor boards, but i hit something nasty, i couldnt manage to fit my really thick cable between this really tight spot, and knowing myself, i love to get into really tight spots <3

I ended up popping off the whole column

And continued to run the cable.
(CAUTION CAREFUL WITH THE YELLOW MARKED PLUGS!!!, read your manual on why)

Then i found another tight spot after this part, but when i noticed that it was bolted down with the passenger side rear passenger seat belt, i didn't want to mess with that. (yet) so i just ran it as close to the wall as possible.

And since i didn't want this wiggling around, i strapped the power cable to this orange thing, which i will assume is for the passenger side brake sensors? not sure, but be sure to NOT unplug this. but this was the only spot i could find i could strap my power cable to and make sure it didn't slip.

Then i proceeded to plug in my new power cable to the Power Block i had.
(NOTE: i never plugged in the other side, that's because i'm not ready to, but i secured it to the power steering fluid container to make sure it didn't slip or jump around during normal driving.

Now, the second part of this is to get the Hi Lo Converter installed, there have been two ways to do this, and i did it the extremely hard way because i wanted to get acquainted with the back side of the stereo for my next tutorial (Ipod Video with charger all in one cable and LCD screen on center ceiling console).

The two ways are:

Connect in the halfway point to the Rear channels, left or right rear. Those are easy, but only if you want one channel to go through, lots of newer songs (e40) have stereo sound for the subs, you feel only one channel instead of both at once if you go this route, but i know people want ot know the colors of the cables to splice into. For the right side of the vehicle, the colors are:

Right Rear, Negative: Blue with Yellow Line (Pin 2 on stereo)
Right Rear, Positive: Pink (Pin 11 on stereo)

Left Rear, Negative: Blue with Black Line (Pin 8 on stereo)
Left Rear, Positive: Blue with White Line (Pin 16 on stereo)

(This is the same on the Honda Fit, info from the other Amp/Sub setup)

And an example of where to splice on the right rear:

The other way is the hard or next to impossible way to do it, and that's with taking out the stereo deck, and splicing into the back side (oh so painful...) with a Hi Lo converter:

Must follow steps 1 through 14 only, anything after that is only for the Ipod adapter. This was a good link, helped me remove the actual stereo deck.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/..._musiclink.pdf

Since i went the way of the Hard headed one. Follow those steps, and have the system in pieces on your shift knob (cover it in cloth, i used 2 terry cloths with rubber bands to keep it covered at all times.

What you want to play with is the large connector that looks the same as that Civic EX connector.

Peel back the electrical tape, i used a pair of wire cutters, that were blunt, and was pulling on the tape before cutting it, same way as the amp power cable. And separate all the cables, i sort of forgot to take a picture of it, so i stopped when i got my Hi Lo Converter installed to snap a shot.

Following the instructions for the Hi Lo converter, i had stripped each of the speaker cables enough to be able to wrap the ends of each of the cables a few times, and wrap it all up with electrical tape. it looks like a mess now, but keep an eye on what your doing, and don't cut toooo deep into those speaker wires, if you break it, youre screwed, cause that will shorten the bundle even more and you will have to get someone with knowhow to crimp a new cable onto the broken end.

My splices looked like this (sloppy i know, but I couldn't find a Radio shack nearby, and homefepot had really big ones, and were meant for thicker gauges.)

Then for the final run of things for the front area, i already had a set of RCA cables ready to be plugged in, and run to the trunk, they were long enough, and meant for cars, so it was durable enough. Using some zip ties, i made sure to add a loop behind the Hi Lo converter to make sure no one could pull on the cable and rip them out of their connectors, and still not cause any damage to the cable harness either. I also made sure that i had a good place for the cable to run, where it couldn't be pinched, or otherwise damaged by mechanical/moving parts.

For the trip to the back, i made sure i secured the cable to the ECU harness cable going to the Driver's gauges. and along side the power cable (please don't hurt me, this was the best trip i could find to the back of the bus.

Don't forget, run the cable to the back the same way as the power cable.

Tomorrow, i will try and get more pictures of a funky setup, i still need to remake my box for the trunk, and still be easy to remove, but for the most part, i'm sure you can find a place to connect the negative in the trunk (i connected it to the bar next to the rear lights (requires you to leave an ugly gap on your cap)

EDIT: I will continue with this tomorrow =D

I submitted here, because i couldnt stand writing up my post in the very limited space of the post screen =P

The edit screen allows larger screens to view more. (I'm still editing this, or i'm asleep, give me a break please, really long day)

Last edited by CuTeBoi; 04-17-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Needs updates.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
just curious where did you put the amp and what kind of sup did you use?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Wow it looks like somebody followed MY DIRECTIONS With the use of fancy pictures. This is all that was stated in my post I just didn't post the pics on the forum.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
So why didn't you post the pictures, give details on colors of the cables, and all the pretty things people were asking for =P

I put them up as needed.

I have yet to take pictures of my sub and amp, i'll show those later this evening when i get some rest, just got off work =P

Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Don't forget you probably would want to run the RCA cables back to the amp on the opposite site of the car from the power cables. You can pick up noise from the power wire it they lay next to each other...

Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TeamEMC
Don't forget you probably would want to run the RCA cables back to the amp on the opposite site of the car from the power cables. You can pick up noise from the power wire it they lay next to each other...
yes and use 0 gauge wire for the amp (power and ground) for the best sound!!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not on this forum too often thats why i offered help through email.....I am too busy building my real car not worried about my gas saver!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
I know, but this is the best way to get back and fast, and i did state "don't rip be about it"

I know about the noise, but i was looking for a fast way to get it into the trunk. I just want some decent sound for now, till i can find places to silence my car some, and to find some rubber stuff for the license plate to stop vibrating... =\

Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Nice write up! I am planning to do this in a few days and the pictures should help lots!!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
I'm going to be rewiring things with the data cables (RCA ones) go on the drivers side, since the power cables are on the passenger side with the RCA, which is normally a bad idea.

since i'm not feeling good on how i wired the setup, i don't wish to take pictures of my Miami sub amp, since it's on a plank of plywood leaning on the back seat., the speakers look great, but it's not wired properly... and i feel ashamed of taking the pictures.

I'll take pictures this coming weekend, after i rewire the RCA jacks.

If anything is different than the passenger side, i'll make sure to document it. I'll also be doing a writeup on a proper cable harness instead of the shitty splice i did on the vehicle harness. such a bad idea... horrible.. =|

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rushlow
Nice write up! I am planning to do this in a few days and the pictures should help lots!!

With the splicing into the stock harness, i would highly suggest against it, go to your local audio shop, and get a Honda 2003+ audio harness, make sure it looks the same as the one i pictured.

then get another connector that matches the male end, and make a whole new inbetween harness... i'm going to a junk yard to get mine, and I will remaking the tutorial the right way.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
With the splicing into the stock harness, i would highly suggest against it, go to your local audio shop, and get a Honda 2003+ audio harness, make sure it looks the same as the one i pictured.
I'm not sure if I can picture what you are saying here what does this harness do?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rushlow
I'm not sure if I can picture what you are saying here what does this harness do?

radio harness - Google Search

try google,

Wiring harnesses, car wiring harness, car stereo wires, metra, best harness, into car, into radio, harness, car stereo, factory radio, pioneer, kenwood, clarion, eclipse

this was something i found too.

but it's generally, youre making a patch cable between the stock systems the car and the radio, splice into this patch cable so that you don't damage your own system.

70-1722 06 Honda Civic/07 Honda Fit; This harness is to be used when replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket one;
This is a harness for the honda fit 2007 (latest USDM)

Old 04-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Hey thats the same Rockford wiring kit I have. I think the converter too! It's awesome.

I'm runnin a Rockford Punch 250 and a single Rockford P2 10" sub in a walmart box. Boy does it bump. My rear view mirror doesn't stay put.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks! great help!

Hey thanks a lot for the pictures and tips!

I have a Rockford Amp and a Punch 12" in Bassworx vented enclosure
I will have my two 6,1/2" Jbl speakers installed in rear doors
and will have to find a way to put two 6x9" enclosures in the trunk for
my Infinity speakers.

Can you tell us where you will install the amp?
I was thinking about fixing it to the back of the right rear seat...
what do you think?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by fx_lab
Hey thanks a lot for the pictures and tips!

I have a Rockford Amp and a Punch 12" in Bassworx vented enclosure
I will have my two 6,1/2" Jbl speakers installed in rear doors
and will have to find a way to put two 6x9" enclosures in the trunk for
my Infinity speakers.

Can you tell us where you will install the amp?
I was thinking about fixing it to the back of the right rear seat...
what do you think?
Here's where I mounted my amp. Ignore the blue electrical tape and all the wiring. I gotta shorten the wires up..

Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
Darn...

this last weekend was a failure, worked saturday and sunday... and have to work another 2 more days before i can take a day off... being a programmer has its downs... cram before release @_@

Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Hey, thanks for the instructions and pics, they helped alot, especially the color of the rear speaker wires.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
No problem, Tomorrow i think i will start with sound proofing the trunk and the hatch back, since my girlfriend is in her 8th month of pregnancy, i can't strip the car completely to soundproof the whole thing, I will only do what i can and still keep the seats in place to take her to ER at any given moment =D

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
then get another connector that matches the male end, and make a whole new inbetween harness... i'm going to a junk yard to get mine, and I will remaking the tutorial the right way.
Is there anywhere else to find a male connector besides a junkyard? I'm getting ready to do a sub install in my Fit sometime this summer and I'd rather not patch into the stock wiring.

Quick Reply: A real Sub and Amp setup for the Honda Fit!!! (USDM)