Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

white led underglow kits legal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
white led underglow kits legal in CA?

i was wondering if anyone would no if white led underglow kits in CA are legal? i wouldnt mind getting one to see what they look like, i mean i understand why red and blue are illegal but i dont know why a standard led white bulb would be illegal, i mean they arnt crazy bright and they would just acsent the road a little and not draw too much attention, please no bashing i just wanted to know if anyone new anything

Old 09-21-2008, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure, but my guess is that anything out of the norm is probably illegal. I know that the fronts can only have amber/white lights, sides only amber, rears only red/ambers.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:43 AM
I'm not really sure, I looked through the vehicle code but didn't find anything. Here is the link to the CA Vehicle codes 2008 Vehicle Code General Provisions and Divisions 1 - 18 Table of Contents just use ctrl F to search for "lights" and it should come up with options, it should be in secion 12. I didnt see anything specific to underglow kits but idk... I guess you could always just ask a cop next time you see one.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
as long as the cop can't see your actual light bulb, it's fun, if they can see the light bulb, then it's a distraction to other drivers, but if you hide the lights really well, it's fine.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't have any expertise in this, but it used to be if you couldn't see the bulbs... it was fine. But that doesn't mean that you weren't going to get hassled for it anyways.

I know that here in MO I don't see them like I used to... not sure if they've changed the law or not. Or maybe they just aren't as popular.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
any underglow kit is illegal in CA.... it only for off road use.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 PM
lol i'll just say it's illegal to not having a fit with underglow kits...lolz

Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
ya i was just wondering bec i know the white led underglow doesnt look that bad compared to blue or any other color, ill have to ask a cop and see what he has to say bec if they say i will get hassled than i dont want them, i dont want to get pulled over, also i dont get why they are illegal anyways bec at night dont you want to be more visible to cars anyway so they can see you?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by El Chupacabura
I guess you could always just ask a cop next time you see one.

that is what i did before i got my tint here in maryland. i asked him what the legal limits were(he knew) he also told me the time of year when they actually tell the cops to really enforce the law on them. he told me honestly, they dont really look for tint here in md until winter comes around because everybody has their windows rolled up, so thats when they start passin out the tickets. he also said the legal limit is 35% but if he personally(and most of the cops he knew) could see through the tint and tell if you were wearing your seatbelt, they did not care what % it was.

asking a officer might be a good idea if you are unsure on the laws in your particular state.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
that is what i did before i got my tint here in maryland. i asked him what the legal limits were(he knew) he also told me the time of year when they actually tell the cops to really enforce the law on them. he told me honestly, they dont really look for tint here in md until winter comes around because everybody has their windows rolled up, so thats when they start passin out the tickets. he also said the legal limit is 35% but if he personally(and most of the cops he knew) could see through the tint and tell if you were wearing your seatbelt, they did not care what % it was.

asking a officer might be a good idea if you are unsure on the laws in your particular state.
ya thats what ill do, theres a cop station right down the street of my house so ill ask them before anything

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by xonexlifex
also i dont get why they are illegal anyways bec at night dont you want to be more visible to cars anyway so they can see you?
Im pretty sure its because they are considered a distraction to other drivers, I guess they would be so entranced by your beautiful lights that they might hit another car or something...

Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM
yeah and the white lights are facing to the rear too.. i guess like why reverse lights while going forward are illegal.. somone should make blacklight under car neon hahah

Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
yeah and the white lights are facing to the rear too.. i guess like why reverse lights while going forward are illegal.. somone should make blacklight under car neon hahah
ya ur rightm tooo much hassal for me, i really dont want to have to worry about getting my ass pulled over for some dumb lights, i ordered a blue under the dash interior kit instead which is was cooler in my opinion

Old 09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
apparently if ur car is parked and not moving then underglow is okay. ive also heard u just cant use them on freeway (bs). but best bet is to ask or LITFA

Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 AM
lol like my mom always say, if you ask if its illegal, it probably is.