Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

confused about where tail bulbs go

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM
confused about where tail bulbs go

I just put the left side in (huge gap by the way, shitty brand I don't even think they were depo or n1). Anyway I don't care about that as much as I don't know how the bulbs go. See there were 2 small bulbs for the turn signal and something else. I dunno what to do with those. Then there's 2 big white bulbs. I'm confused. When you turn the lights on, is the top part (smoked part) of the LED supposed to be on? Right now I have nothing going on in the LED section of the light. What is supposed to plug into that wiring harness? I have 2 different taillights on right now, the left signal doesn't work (and hyperblinks, probably because it's not in the right slot or plugged in at all?). I shouldn't have tried this by myself. I extended 2 of the wires and can't get in the tight spot now to crimp them with a butt connector. So that light is messed up too. Oh man I'm going to cause an accident or get pulled over...

Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
you will have two left over bulbs/plugs, they are the small 194 bulbs. you should take those out and over the plug with electrical tape because they are not used.

for JDM style (like mine): in the order from top to bottom: Top Signal, Middle LED running/brake lights, Bottom (kinda pinkish) Reverse lights

errum, what type of tails did you get?

also you're supposed to break off those tabs so they fit closer to the body

Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
see the issue is I dunno what the signal light is, or the brake light or the reverse light :/ I know the two small ones though, I'll take care of that. I broke half off of the circular tab on the bottom, but the pointy one I left because it looked important and only got wider like it had to fit in the smaller hole...also the wiring harness for the LED in the middle, what connects into that???? I think I shoved a small blue harness connector into it but it didn't snap into place ;/ I royally ****ed myself bad...so should I cut the pointy piece on the bottom too? I dunno if I'll be able to get the screw back in underneath then. I didn't take the bumper off. I can reach the screw.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
yellow bulb is top turning signal u might have to dremel the socket for it to fit perfect .. the white bulb is the bottom reverse .. there should be a harness that plugs into the led board directly.. take a picture of the back of your tail and ill point it out for you

Old 10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
ok so yellow top white bottom. And there is no wiring harness that plugs into the LED board. It should be the same bulb that turns on when the light turns on right? So just unplug that from the bulb and stick it in the board?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
yes.. plug that into the board

you could also plug the bulbs in and use the 4 ways, turn the car on with it in reverse and turn on the running lights to see the brake lights.. if you get confused..

as far as fitment:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/22931-jdm-taillight-fitment-issues-diy-fix-here.html
after doing that they fit nice, i still had to file some edges down so there wasn't any rubbing

Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM
hey I jus wanna thank you guys for helping me out in a pinch. It was a bitch trying to feel for the underneath screw when the sun was a little bit above the horizon lol race against time, it was! Anyway it's done. Didn't have any problems with the right side whatsoever once you guys told me yellow was top and the green plug goes into the LED board. Only thing I need to do sometime soon is get 2 screws because I'm missing one from both sides. I broke them somewhere along the way, or lost them. Doesn't matter, the lights are in pretty tight. I took pics I'm gonna put them in the original thread I started putting my pics in...gotta find it lol THANKS AGAIN GUYS, BOTH OF YOU +1 rep!

Edit: the left side reverse bulb is not in its' socket, won't reach and I used buttplugs on both wires but I can't reach in to crimp. I'll find someone sometime to do it. But reverse is rarely used so I'm not worried about getting a ticket or anything. Right side works :P

2nd Edit: Either of you got LED tails that came a little banged up? My left one looks like it got a little chipped on the left side. Forgot to take a really up close pic of it. It's not terribly noticeable, but it's there lol

Last edited by trancedsailor; 10-07-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
no prob! glad it worked out! modding takes a lot of patience! lol

edit: no mine came in good shape.. i notice that it looks like the inside of the lens isn't perfectly clean.. so what can i possibly do about that... besides that i really inspected them before i installed them and noticed that they were not sealed completely and would have eventually gotten water inside if i didn't seal them with silicone. besides that not bad... if they ever break i am getting OEM JDM, but i don't see that happening at least for a long time

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 10-07-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
it sure does. I suck at being patient lol. It took way too long for me to get this all done. Like, half the day literally lol

Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
mines got chipped alilll bit when i got rear ended... no problemo mangg

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
i love your avatar lol who's your daddy bitch!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
thanks it was a pain to make it pixel by pixel lol

Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
yea I can see it's not all that fluid in motion lol, still, good effort!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
it gives it that trying to escape look LMAO

Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM
rofl like it's scared hah

Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
lol GE FTL

i think the tails took me about 4 hours to do, took the bumper off, sealed the lens, broke off tabs, filed down the edges and made the sockets fit..

stupid freakin replicas

then i made the third brake light with 6 LEDs because i realized that the tails came on before the third brake light which annoyed the heck out of me

Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
how did you realize something like that? What's the delay for the 3rd brakelight? I thought it would come on when the LED tails did....now I need an LED brakelight *sigh* lol

Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
oh and I didn't take the bumper off. I took out the bottom screw with a long magnetic screwdriver. Then the 3 inside with a small 8mm open wrench. Unplugged all the bulbage, pushed out from inside while sorta lifting up and out lol. Cut some off the new tabs with a friggin wirecutter cuz I had nothing stronger. Man that was a BITCH. But it works. Anyone know what size nuts go on the screw since 2 are MIA and it would make the tails fit flusher if I could tighten them down as I'm missing 2 of the inside ones on BOTH sides. It's not going anywhere though. I also need a small crimp tool because the cutter/stripper/crimper is HUGE and won't do what I need it to in order to get my left reverse light extended. I have 2 wires to crimp to new wires, and spent a good hour trying to get a good grip on it without the tiny wire coming out of the butt connector...eh I'll get it done this weekend definitely.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
im gonna get a vinyl put over the third brakelight havent finalized my design idea tho but my sticker messiah lol can do it

Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
i had the vinyl fit decal over the third brake light but it started to seem kinda tacky to me. i like having the six LEDs up there... just looks much cleaner

i realized that there was a delay between LEDs and incandescents after my dad got his 2008 focus (bad car). ford was stupid enough to make the third brake light LEDs and not the tails. so following him home from the dealership i noticed this. it looked so ridiculous. LEDs have a much faster response time compared to incandescents. Needless to say I realized my car would do the same. so i went to radioshack and spent $10 on 6 high output LEDs and a prototype board then grabbed a couple of resistors from work, wired them up and bam... jdm style third brake light.

i feel like i need to replace my rear license plate lights with LEDs so when i lock and unlock the car with the remote all of the lights on the back come on at once.. stupid stuff gets on my nerves i guess.

and props to you for getting those tails on there without taking the bumper off. i doubt that was fun. seriously though the bumperS on this car are extremely easy to remove. again there's that patience thing. and ahh butt connectors and crimping FTL! splicing and heatshrink FTW! make sure they're crimped good and don't short out. maybe get some spiral wire wrap and vinyl electrical tape to protect those wires. i always feel like it's best to do it right and make it as professional as possible. don't mind me though all i do is work on electronics so i'm a bit of a nerd. i'm used to all of the military standards for electrical equipment overhaul.

Quick Reply: confused about where tail bulbs go