Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/)
-   -   anybody thought of both high and low beams on at once? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/37582-anybody-thought-both-high-low-beams-once.html)

jaythomas 01-23-2009 07:32 PM

anybody thought of both high and low beams on at once?

my recently departed 91 crx si had a great feature that I really liked- when the high beams were on the lows stayed on. granted, they were separate lights, but I miss this because the combined lights were great! I talked to a friend who messes with mostly chevy stuff and we were talking about lighting mods and he said he did a mod to have both filaments on at the same time when in high beam mode (dual element bulb). I was wondering if anyone here had thought of doing something like this? i wonder what the added heat load would be and if if could possibly melt something in the headlight housing. anyone?

cojaro 01-23-2009 08:11 PM

On the GD3's, the headlight is both the high and low beam. They don't have separate high and low beam bulbs.

jaythomas 01-23-2009 08:28 PM

yeah, I know. I was wondering if someone HAS or thought about maybe putting a jumper in to enable BOTH elements to be on in high beam mode. thus enabling a whole lot of light for the road from both elements.( plus fogs!)

SFactor2 01-24-2009 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaythomas (Post 555215)
yeah, I know. I was wondering if someone HAS or thought about maybe putting a jumper in to enable BOTH elements to be on in high beam mode. thus enabling a whole lot of light for the road from both elements.( plus fogs!)

i'm thinking about it too
if u pull the high beam flash stalk about halfway, u can get both low and high at the same time

Raaaaaaaaaay. 01-24-2009 03:39 PM

It would be worse than having glare from HID's.

solbrothers 01-24-2009 03:50 PM

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6...pancakecl1.jpg

polaski 01-27-2009 10:28 PM

Man those bulbs would get very very hot. I doubt they'd last long, although the extra light would be welcome.

Type 100 01-27-2009 11:41 PM

You'd just piss oncoming traffic off due to the glare. What's the point?

lowincash 01-29-2009 12:00 PM

eh i don't think you people get it...i think the op is saying that if both the low and high beam filament stays on WHEN he needs to use the highs it would be more useful...not to drive around with both on. and i have to agree with the op...having both filament on would be much better than only one. i've driven a camry that uses dual filament bulbs and when i needed the highs it wasn't as good as the dual bulb setups.

jaythomas 01-31-2009 09:00 PM

right-somewhat. I mean when lows beams are on, just the low filament is on, but when the highs are on, the low filament STAYS on when the high filament comes on, resulting in a more full, uniform lighting field.

trancedsailor 02-01-2009 09:39 AM

What about with HIDs? My highbeams don't do anything, it's the same cutoff as the lows.

TheImmortal 02-01-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash (Post 561075)
eh i don't think you people get it...i think the op is saying that if both the low and high beam filament stays on WHEN he needs to use the highs it would be more useful...not to drive around with both on. and i have to agree with the op...having both filament on would be much better than only one. i've driven a camry that uses dual filament bulbs and when i needed the highs it wasn't as good as the dual bulb setups.

lol damn sheep!!!

to say nothing one would seem average
to post the wrong answer or to post an answer to a question not asked........:rotfl:
on the canadian model all u have to do is bypass the low beam cut relay....on the us u have to rewire the stalk

TheImmortal 02-01-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cojaro (Post 555209)
On the GD3's, the headlight is both the high and low beam. They don't have separate high and low beam bulbs.

on the gd3, there r 4 wheels (excluding the spare):rotfl:

polaski 02-02-2009 02:00 AM

Well being as the 105w apiece they'll be consuming it should put out similar heat to sid's 110w bulbs. He hasn't burned his reflectors yet but then again he just put them in.

If you afford to replace the expensive headlight assemblies if they get ruined, it's not hard:

-run separate power from batt to relays
-one relay for low, one relay for high, and one relay to cross between their output wires when highbeam is on
-make sure your wires and relays can take the amperage. Put properly-sized fuses on your power wires.

Myself, I'd buy connectors for the stock harness so I don't have to cut it, and have 6 relays total to keep the heat down, each set of 3 bolted to a bracket. Being me and my love for overkill I'd probably run 8-gauge wire for power, and rig a separate ground for each side.

I'm gonna wait to see what sid says about the heat first.

Padraic 02-02-2009 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by solbrothers (Post 555771)

I have nothing to add to this conversation. Solbrothers post just reminded me of this picture.

Attachment 69273

j5ive 02-13-2009 12:53 AM

I live in an urban area, so I almost never use my high beams. Even on isolated highways, I find I'm not out-driving my low beams even a few clicks over the speed limit.

But having lived and driven through rural Texas at night, I can certainly understand the desire to run as much light as possible, if not to see the road, then to see the animals that might have wandered onto the road.

It's true that Hondas usually have thicker gauge wires for the headlights. That's because they're switch grounded instead of bulb grounded. Meaning bulbs are fed power directly from the battery (well, after large fuses), then when the switch is turned on, it grounds the circuit and turns the lights on. However, I'd still be wary about running both the high and low beams together due to heat issues at the bulb. I've seen bulbs that have exploded inside the headlight. When that happens, you have no choice but to buy new headlights.

secondspassed 02-13-2009 01:06 AM

There is a very easy mod you can do so your fogs won't turn off when the highbeams come on. I know this isn't what you are asking about, but that's the route I've gone to have more light with the high beams. It definitely helps on highways with seeing small animals in your peripheral.