Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Adjustable dash lights switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Adjustable dash lights switch?

Thinking of installing a switch to trick the dash lights into thinking the headlights are on. Anyone know if this would be possible? I want to be able to dim down the stereo display at the drive-in movie theater.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 PM
why not just turn the knob if u want to dim the head unit light?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 PM
The lights are not adjustable when the headlights are not on. The headunit is stuck at full power for daytime usage, normally. At the drive-in I can't really turn on the headlights just to dim my head unit. :P

Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 PM
i understand now. I can see you being able to. maybe something just before the headlights you can flick off under the hood... not too sure about under the dash in the fit. I know you can in older vehicles for sure though

Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 PM
yeah just use your parking lights and then dim em

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Hm, I dunno if I'd wanna use my parking lights at the drive-in theater. When I'm there I'm usually having a little party in my car so I definitely wouldn't want to draw extra attention to myself, haha.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
haha. 5% tint on all windows and don't bother?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Got 50% on the fronts, 5% in the rears... right now I just cover up the bright blue head unit display with a rag or hoodie or something. Do you guys think if I install a switch the easiest way would be an actual headlight / parking light kill switch? Seems like that might be simpler but a less ideal solution compared to a toggle switch that would instantly fool the ECU into thinking they're on somehow.

With the former method I would have to flip my fake-out switch and then turn on the lights, with the latter method I would just have to flip the switch once. Then again, if it's dark at the drive-in (usually) I'll be rolling up with my headlights on and putting them on again when I leave so maybe the first method is actually the smoothest. Should I take a look at the online service manual for this? Anyone know what wires I could use?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
So I've been looking at a diagram of the headlight / foglight / parking light wiring system in a similar model of Fit to get ideas. It looks like the dimmer mechanism is probably triggered internally to the gauge cluster / the actual headlight switch. The headlights appear to draw power from a relay that's fed by a power wire that goes to the headlight switch. Presumably all I would have to do is interrupt that relay and the headlights would no longer get power, but if the dimmer is switched internally to the cluster / switch, then it should work at that point when I turn the switch on (but no lights). Sorry if none of this makes any sense.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
If anyone's interested this is what I've been looking at: Wiring Diagram

Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Bumppppppppppppp

Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
Bump for interest.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
Why not just get a room then you can leave the lights on too?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 AM
find out anything?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Why not just get a room then you can leave the lights on too?
It's not that kind of party, I'm still primarily there to watch a movie.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Yes, I Vtec
find out anything?
I will have to find a diagram for the USDM Fit to make sure, but I think there is a wire that comes from the taillight relay in the engine bay, through the firewall, then powers the gauge cluster / interior lights. This wire must enter the cabin, and I should be able to add a switch that toggles between stock setting, daytime mode (disconnected), and nighttime mode (connected to a new circuit via an add-a-fuse in the cabin fuse box. Alternatively, I could add a kill switch for the ground wire coming from the light switch on the steering column. This would probably just kill all the lighting but leave the stereo on at full day-time mode, since I'm pretty sure the stereo gets its actual power from a different circuit.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITFOLLY
It's not that kind of party, I'm still primarily there to watch a movie.

That's what I used to tell their mothers.

Good luck on your wiring.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I think I'm gonna try and swing by a Pep Boys today, see if they carry the '08 Fit Service Manual there. If they do I might try to take a peek inside... I know I can get this info online from Helm for $10, but it just seems like such a waste.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Yes, I Vtec
haha. 5% tint on all windows and don't bother?
The intent behind this mod wouldn't be for privacy, but because when watching a movie in the car the head unit display is super distracting because it's so bright.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I believe I have found the correct wire to use for this mod, a red/black wire "A3" on the "A" connector on the back of the gauge cluster. It is very easy to get to the cluster, I found instructions at Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT Making Comfortable. All that is left to do is install the new circuit and switch. I have just one question...

The existing relay line that feeds this wire also feeds the taillights and parking lights. It has a 10A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. I am going to be supplying new current from a new circuit (via the cabin fuse box) to this wire, is it possible I could overload it since normally it's powering more than just this wire? Should I put in a lower amp fuse or a resistor?

Anyone with any ideas, thanks a lot. For what it's worth, the parking lights and taillights on that circuit are a combined 30 watts.

Last edited by FITFOLLY; 08-03-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjustable dash lights switch?