Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

lights power comparison (standard vs. led, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
lights power comparison (standard vs. led, etc.)

Greetings,

I'm wondering if anybody who has changed their lighting units (any of them), has access to the parts, or has considered changing their regular bulbs out for LEDs or other technologies has done any power comparisons between the units you have used and the original parts?

Obviously it's a really small battery... I'm curious how much of a difference in power consumption (if any) changing the various units out for LED or other lighting technologies might make.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
any amount would help... hell turning the steering wheel makes the headlights dim at night... it needs all the power it can get!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
any amount would help... hell turning the steering wheel makes the headlights dim at night... it needs all the power it can get!
Right. What I'm curious about is ACTUAL differences in power consumption.

With household bulbs people can make the easy assumption that greater to lesser power consumption is incandescent --> compact flourescent --> LED.

That being said, due to the size and type of the various automotive bulbs and lighting I don't think it's safe to make this assumption and am curious about actual testing and/or device details. Several of the LED devices I've seen pictures of that people have been putting in have tons of LEDs where the lights they're replaceing are really small incandescents, etc. People are also adding lights where they didn't previously have them (overhead cargo light, for example) and I'm wondering about the actual impact of each of these changes.

thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Bump for interest... I have a base fit and I wanna put some fogs on it but after installing my new viper... The blue light flashes about 3 times every 2 secs so it gets me worried about my battery life..

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
I dont have any direct numbers but im positive leds use wayy less power even with more bulbs. say for example the dome light, notice all that heat it produces when it's on, now i dont remember much in science class but i do remember that energy that is used has to come out some way right? for lights it comes out as heat. Leds always run cool because they use like no power at all BUT they sometimes need resistors to reduce the power coming into them and that produces heat. I probably have like 10-12 led modules (consists of about 6 leds each) inside my car and i can have them on for about the whole day and the car still starts fine.

getting LEDs is def. worth it for the reduced power usage and increased lighting/visual appeal.

foglights shouldnt be a big problem, you dont use it with the engine off so it shouldnt affect battery life too badly, i mean the sport model comes with them so a base should be able to handle it just fine

edit* i also forgot to mention that leds have MUCH faster reaction time so people behind you can stop sooner when you brake. Normal driving it prolly wont do much but u never know during emergency situations

Last edited by accordguyintake; 09-18-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about that... a single led takes less power to light than a squirrel farting. The only time you might need to be worried is if you're going to have your car sitting for a long period of time (several weeks or more).
Originally Posted by andrewwdang
Bump for interest... I have a base fit and I wanna put some fogs on it but after installing my new viper... The blue light flashes about 3 times every 2 secs so it gets me worried about my battery life..

Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed

Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Moved to correct forum.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
here's a comparison of the DaiLed interior lighting difference. These are ge/Crv/Civic/Accord style map lights.

Name:  2007121112556.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OneStopCustoms
here's a comparison of the DaiLed interior lighting difference. These are ge/Crv/Civic/Accord style map lights.
Thanks.. but what do the numbers mean? I assume the left one is the incandescent/original bulb and the right is the LED.

We've got three different numbers in each picture, and no explanation...

I assume the grey thing at the bottom is a light meter and those are like lumens or candle power or something numbers...

and the meter is measuring.... ??

Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
hahaha, either way LEDs were on top! lol

Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
amount of voltage being used @ 13.4 and the light meter would be candle power...