Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Question Regarding Underglow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Question Regarding Underglow

Ok so before we start throwing out all the comments about "O that shit is so rice" or "Dude this isn't Fast and the Furious" just sit down, shut up, and read this, and then keep your negative comments to yourself.

Ok so I have installed plenty of underglow kits on cars before. I installed two kits on my friends Ram Daytona, interior kits on both my tahoe and pilot, and underglow on my pilot (yes I had blue underglow on my pilot but it was more for safety)

The reason I put neon underglow on my pilot was cause I worked at Academy after school and I wouldn't get off til like midnight or later. And with Houston having so many drunk drivers and me always being able to find them, or them find me, I figured underglow would make me more visible and less likely to have an accident. Also I love underglow.

Anyways back to the question. I know normal neon or LED tubes will not fit on the fit. There is not enough lip space for the tubes to be hidden. However, LED GLOW has come out with super thin LED tubes that look like they will work perfect. The tubes are a little thicker than a pen. My question is: Has anyone else used this product or installed underglow on their fit? Cause my main concern is the pipes heating up the tubes and ruining the wiring.

Thanks for the input and remember negative comments need to be kept to yourself.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM
I already started a thread about whether or not people thought neons/LEDs were rice, so there shouldn't be any comments in regards to that. (But this is an internet forum so brace yourself.)

My opinion is that anything that is the thickness of a pen is likely to break if attached to the underbelly of a car. My experience with neon is that it should only be put on trailer queens because it is not durable enough for regular road use. You'll get two months out of it at most.

LEDs are definitely more durable and last longer, but like you said, there is not a lot of places to mount them under the FIT. Also, I don't think this will help you become more visibile to other drivers. If that is your number one goal then look into some higher wattage bulbs for your headlights and fogs.

In my opinion, undercar lighting is one mod you should pass on unless you tow your Fit to shows.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
:didnt read thread:

answer: dont do it!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Thank you for your input. I had streetglow installed on my pilot for over 6 months and never had a problem with the tubes. In fact I still have them. I drove my car daily and even went over roads that threw up rocks and stuff. Not one broke. I do agree about since they are so thin that they would break but at the same time LEDs do not to be kept in a sealed tube like neon. When a neon tube breaks, it is done for. When an LED tube breaks or cracks, it still works cause the LED isn't affected by the tube. And I am not getting these to become more visible. Mostly cause I miss them cause I always was fascinated by them. And believe it or not they did help me become more visible to drunk drivers. I was driving one night from work and this guy behind me was all over the place and speeding up on my butt and slowing down and I turned on my lights and he slowed wayyyyy down and stayed far away from me until I exited the freeway. I have had many moments like this with my neon. But I understand where you are coming from. It all comes down to quality. My friend bought a cheap knock off set of underglow and those bitches broke fast. I bought streetglow tubes (not cheap) and they lasted a long time over all kinds of terrain.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
:didnt read thread:

answer: dont do it!

hahaha +rep for being honest

Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think the underglow made you more noticeable... but maybe made the driver think you were a "threat."

In the media there's the stereotype, ricer/racer = criminal "element" (and underglow is part of the ricer image). Just like a few other stereotypes that are based on "a few bad apples." Going along with that assumption, the driver either thought you might attract the attention of the cops so therefore the driver would need to stay away from you to avoid attracting their attention also, or that you might harm the driver if you got pissed off (road rage).

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Some reflectors perhaps? Course you'd need to place them in away that it doesn't look tacky.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Not really sure if this is what your looking for, but I work at a Led module supply company, we sell LED modules that are intened to be used in the sign industry, but I think they may work for what your looking to do. Our modules are waterproof and are 12v so you can just hook them up with a switch to a power source on the car. Heres a picture of what I am talking about..

Name:  IMAG0088.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  25.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0089.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  17.4 KB

We sell them by trays at 33ft (100 modules) each

PM me for more info