Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/)
-   -   New interior LED bulbs are not turning off (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/90006-new-interior-led-bulbs-not-turning-off.html)

jukeboxx13 06-23-2015 11:59 PM

New interior LED bulbs are not turning off

I have a 15 Fit and replaced the interior bulbs with Jtech LEDs, but now they stay on in dim mode when the car is on?

This normal or?

jukeboxx13 06-24-2015 12:41 AM

Also not shutting off when car is off.

Bassguitarist1985 06-24-2015 11:26 PM

As mentioned in a previous thread. You need a load resistor for the dome and map lights. Some jtechs have them built in the base of the led. A small smd one. Some may not have them. If not this ia the cause of your issue. The gate of the transistor that operates the dome light circuit always leaks a tiny bit of current. Being that leds takes so little power to run and its high resiatance, its able to run off this small leakage voltage dimly. Adding a resistor bleeds this charge off and keeps the led off when the dome light is "off"

jukeboxx13 06-25-2015 01:17 AM

So why is it that the lights work properly on my rear plates, but stay on dimmed inside the car?

Bassguitarist1985 06-25-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by jukeboxx13 (Post 1310813)
So why is it that the lights work properly on my rear plates, but stay on dimmed inside the car?

Because the license plate lights are operated more simply via a relay. The Dome/map lights have a fade out feature which is achieved via an SCR and capacitor. The lights are being fed the small leakage current from the SCR (which all of them have some amount of) and the stored charge in the capacitor.

the bleed resistor I mentioned will solve this problem. rather than lighting up the LED, the resistor bleeds this small current to ground harmlessly, and no more dim lit lights.

Black3sr 06-27-2015 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1310834)
Because the license plate lights are operated more simply via a relay. The Dome/map lights have a fade out feature which is achieved via an SCR and capacitor. The lights are being fed the small leakage current from the SCR (which all of them have some amount of) and the stored charge in the capacitor.

the bleed resistor I mentioned will solve this problem. rather than lighting up the LED, the resistor bleeds this small current to ground harmlessly, and no more dim lit lights.

Excellent info. I am wondering if the OP just left the dim LED how long before it would kill the battery? I am thinking it would be OK for a week or so?

Bassguitarist1985 06-27-2015 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Black3sr (Post 1311030)
Excellent info. I am wondering if the OP just left the dim LED how long before it would kill the battery? I am thinking it would be OK for a week or so?

Pretty sure the energy to light up the led is less than what is required to keep your HU preset memory of radio stations for example.

jhn 06-27-2015 12:15 PM

If you switch off the map and dome lights (so they do not turn on when the door is opened) do they still do it?

jukeboxx13 06-28-2015 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by jhn (Post 1311053)
If you switch off the map and dome lights (so they do not turn on when the door is opened) do they still do it?

I only turned the dome light off and it did not do it but that defeats my purpose for the lights.

ETA: just checked the map lights and yes it also stays off in the off mode. Again though I prefer my lights to come on when the door is opened, and not manualy done by myself.

Aussie 02-17-2018 11:27 PM

Anyone know what LED to get for map light in a 2018'?

These below are too long not allowing the button to click once the cover's installed.

Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 (Post 1310834)