Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

New interior LED bulbs are not turning off

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:59 PM
New interior LED bulbs are not turning off

I have a 15 Fit and replaced the interior bulbs with Jtech LEDs, but now they stay on in dim mode when the car is on?

This normal or?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 AM
Also not shutting off when car is off.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 PM
As mentioned in a previous thread. You need a load resistor for the dome and map lights. Some jtechs have them built in the base of the led. A small smd one. Some may not have them. If not this ia the cause of your issue. The gate of the transistor that operates the dome light circuit always leaks a tiny bit of current. Being that leds takes so little power to run and its high resiatance, its able to run off this small leakage voltage dimly. Adding a resistor bleeds this charge off and keeps the led off when the dome light is "off"

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 AM
So why is it that the lights work properly on my rear plates, but stay on dimmed inside the car?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by jukeboxx13
So why is it that the lights work properly on my rear plates, but stay on dimmed inside the car?
Because the license plate lights are operated more simply via a relay. The Dome/map lights have a fade out feature which is achieved via an SCR and capacitor. The lights are being fed the small leakage current from the SCR (which all of them have some amount of) and the stored charge in the capacitor.

the bleed resistor I mentioned will solve this problem. rather than lighting up the LED, the resistor bleeds this small current to ground harmlessly, and no more dim lit lights.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Because the license plate lights are operated more simply via a relay. The Dome/map lights have a fade out feature which is achieved via an SCR and capacitor. The lights are being fed the small leakage current from the SCR (which all of them have some amount of) and the stored charge in the capacitor.

the bleed resistor I mentioned will solve this problem. rather than lighting up the LED, the resistor bleeds this small current to ground harmlessly, and no more dim lit lights.
Excellent info. I am wondering if the OP just left the dim LED how long before it would kill the battery? I am thinking it would be OK for a week or so?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Excellent info. I am wondering if the OP just left the dim LED how long before it would kill the battery? I am thinking it would be OK for a week or so?
Pretty sure the energy to light up the led is less than what is required to keep your HU preset memory of radio stations for example.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:15 PM
jhn
If you switch off the map and dome lights (so they do not turn on when the door is opened) do they still do it?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
If you switch off the map and dome lights (so they do not turn on when the door is opened) do they still do it?
I only turned the dome light off and it did not do it but that defeats my purpose for the lights.

ETA: just checked the map lights and yes it also stays off in the off mode. Again though I prefer my lights to come on when the door is opened, and not manualy done by myself.

Last edited by jukeboxx13; 06-28-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Anyone know what LED to get for map light in a 2018'?

These below are too long not allowing the button to click once the cover's installed.

Amazon Amazon
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985