Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Audio upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
You actually fit a Rockford Fosgate Power T600-4 amp under the driver's seat? Doesn't it overheat? According to the specs its 2.14" tall. We have that much space? Its good to hear the 3Sixty fits under the seats though. I was thinking the same thing. But as for the Power T600... thats a pretty thick amp... let me know how it goes. I'm personally looking into the Sony XM-4s. It's pretty slim & compact.
Haven't hooked everything up yet, still need to finish building the sub enclosure. I'll try to take and post pics tonight. Remember the floor under the seat is kind of angled. I'm banking on this fact to give the amp enough room to cool.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Haven't hooked everything up yet, still need to finish building the sub enclosure. I'll try to take and post pics tonight. Remember the floor under the seat is kind of angled. I'm banking on this fact to give the amp enough room to cool.
Even if the seat is angled, how are you going to slide the seat forward or back? Won't 1 of the wires under the seat clip it? What about if someone fat sits in your seat and the seat bows, do you have any leeway?

I mean I've looked at Amp sizes and given that you've already verified to me that the Rockford 3Sixty.1 (1-3/4") fits under the passenger seat. Given that the only amps I've found that has similar height dimensions are the SONY XM-4s and XM-1s models. The only thing close to that are the current Blaupunkt THA series amps that ring in at 1-5/8th". Everything else starts at 2-1/4" H.

Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking along the same lines. I'd love to see how it goes and if it works out alright. Personally, I'm concerned what little room between the amp and the seat there is.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
For all of us bemoaning the absence of heated seats in the Fit, this may be one solution - just throw some amps under there!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
here's some shots... I'm thinking about fabricating custom seat mounts to get more clearance. My other option is to figure out how to mount an amp to the back of the hatch gate.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...3/IMG_0386.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...3/IMG_0385.jpg

Old 10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
OOhhh, you meant from the back side of the front seats.

well have you tried leaving your amp there and put your back seats down? The reason we have the slope on the back side is for the headrests of the back seat to fit under there. Try that picture again, but with the back seat down. I don't think its gonna work Bro.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
He will just have to remove the headrest...no biggy.

Last edited by smeister; 10-08-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
He will just have to removed the headrest...no biggy.
I think we can all say we bought the fit for various reasons, one of those big reasons being the Magic Seats. If we're going to do something that disables us the convenience of the magic seat, we gave part of why we bought the car in the first place.

But if thats the plan... I'll have to find another way.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed, I have to keep the magic seats functional, as well as keep the cargo area useable. I'll mess around with it more tonight. I've seen installs with amps in the headliner. Maybe this is an option?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Be carefull mounting things under the front seats, right below that is the gas tank.

What about mounting the amps under the rear seats, on that incline? You'd still be able to lift the seats up for tall mode, and in flat mode I don't think the bottoms move all that much either.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by feared
for a nice priced speaker that will sound good, look into pioneer prs comps, and phoenix gold rsd comps, those sound great for the price, and as for amps, good budget amps could be profile, blau velocity, so yea... up to u, look around.
I would go with JL Audio vr's, they are cheap priced also and sound great.. I have them in the rear doors of my fit and also have XR's in the front doors..

For amps, look at PPI Artseries amps.. They can be had for about $200-$260 on ebay and in my opinion are the best amps ever made..

Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
I've seen installs with amps in the headliner. Maybe this is an option?
This, unfortunately, also gets into some serious heat dissipation issues. Many manufacturers will say that 1) you should have around 2" of free space around amps for adequate cooling, and 2) never mount an amp upside down, as in the case of attaching an amp to the underside of a rear deck (or the headliner of the car). The heat would have nowhere to go!

I've been bouncing around this issue for a while now - and it looks like us Fit owners that want to preserve full functionality of the various modes, yet demanding a non-intrusive install, are screwed. False floors or small amps to fit in rear cargo panels are some of the very few options for us. You could screw the amp to the back side of the rear seats, which would definitely be out of the way, but then again when you fold the seat down - there it is again!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
This leaves us with the question of what kind of amp can we fit above the Gas pedal. Or if you want, mounted to the hatch itself.

If lambert is right. Mounting an amp upside down [ in the headliner] will only cause the amp to overheat.