Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GPS ProClip question

Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
GPS ProClip question

For those using a ProClip left mount for a GPS. Does this location provide adequate satellite reception, since it does not provide a completely unobscured "view of space" for the GPS?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by spreadhead
For those using a ProClip left mount for a GPS. Does this location provide adequate satellite reception, since it does not provide a completely unobscured "view of space" for the GPS?
The Tom Tom GPS that I bought doesn't "view" anything- it's a radio receiver. Until my ProClip set arrives, my GPS works just fine laying face up in the center console tray between the front seats. It also works fine while connected to my computer in my office while the battery is charging with the USB cable. This unit also has a port where you can plug in an external antenna- again it's a radio receiver, and I am sure that Garmin and all other GPS brands are the same.

Last edited by manxman; 10-08-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I have a Nuvi with the newer chip. Once it locks on the satellites, it doesnt matter that it doesnt have a clear "view" of the sky. I put it in the front cup holder and listen for the audio cues.

I understand that with the old and new chips, the most important time to get a clear "view" of the sky is when it starts up or when you have the unit off and move to a different location. If I dont get an intial lock on the satellites, I leave it on the dash until it is ready (can take several minutes) and then I move it to where ever I want to place it.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by manxman
The Tom Tom GPS that I bought doesn't "view" anything- it's a radio receiver. Until my ProClip set arrives, my GPS works just fine laying face up in the center console tray between the front seats. It also works fine while connected to my computer in my office while the battery is charging with the USB cable. This unit also has a port where you can plug in an external antenna- again it's a radio receiver, and I am sure that Garmin and all other GPS brands are the same.
I used the wrong word- not a "receiver", but a transceiver. It both receives and sends signals to/from GPS satellite(s). Just like your cell phone with GPS.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 AM
You had it right the first time manxman. GPS units are passive. They do not send a signal out. They only receive the signal. I made the same mistake until I saw the Garmin site explanation. The Smithsonian Museum site has some info too. How Does GPS Work?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
The Tom Tom GPS that I bought doesn't "view" anything- it's a radio receiver.
I realise that a GPS is a radio reciever (not a tranciever) and doesn't "view" anything (or transmit anything either). I just used the term "view" for brevity. The following is a quote from the Magellan Maestro 3140 manual "The Magellan Maestro should be mounted in such a way that the antenna, (located in the top of the receiver), has an unobstructed view of the sky through the windshield." Guess someone needs to set this GPS manufacturer straight! When your ProClip arrives let me know how your GPS functions mounted in it as that was the original reason for this thread.

Last edited by spreadhead; 10-09-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know if those ebay vent mount work for Garmin GPS? Trying to decide between proclip or those ebay mount.

BTW, for the proclip users, by mounting on the driver side far left the passenger (meaning my wife 99% of the time) won't be able to access that. I normally ask her to set things up while I drive. This is going to be a lot of fiddling around and get us into a fight more often...hum....What do you think?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jake95825
You had it right the first time manxman. GPS units are passive. They do not send a signal out. They only receive the signal. I made the same mistake until I saw the Garmin site explanation. The Smithsonian Museum site has some info too. How Does GPS Work?
Jake- thanks for the correction. But that raises a question: how is it that 911 dispatchers use GPS chips in cell phones to locate the phone and location of the emergency if there is no transmission from the GPS in the phone?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned
Unless you intend to hard wire the GPS, you could just lift it off the ProClips mount and pass it to your wife for adjustments, then just drop it back onto the mount.

I assume that there is a high rate of theft of portable GPS units that are left visible in vacant cars, so great ease in attaching and removing these things seems to be a design criteria. When my ProClips stuff arrives, I intend to just drape the power cord over the steering column, or may attach a hook or Velcro strip under the dash to keep the cord off my legs, all with the purpose of keeping the unit out of the car or out of sight when the car is empty.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Jake- thanks for the correction. But that raises a question: how is it that 911 dispatchers use GPS chips in cell phones to locate the phone and location of the emergency if there is no transmission from the GPS in the phone?
Cell phone are trancievers, this is how you can conduct a two way conversation on them. The cell phone recieves GPS signals from satellites in space to determine it's location, just like a GPS. They then transmit this location to the cell phone system the same way they transmit phone calls, text messages, etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Portable GPS theft

Here in Baltimore, there have been a rash of auto break-ins if only a mount is visible or if the ring of a suction mount is visible on the windshied. Thieves have learned that many drivers do not take their GPS out of the car but hide it in the glovebox, console or under the seat. So many drivers that do take their GPS out of the car when they leave their car have returned to find a broken rear window, ransacked vehicle and suffered the iinconvenice that goes with effecting a repair. I probably do not need to tell what happens to those that leave their GPS "hidden" in the car.

Don

Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
How about this as an alternative? Honda assessory! But still it bolt onto the dash.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...n_fit/navi.pdf

Old 10-26-2007, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Garmin NUVI 350 which looks to be almost exactly the same as the honda portable unit. Has anyone bought just the mount and used it with the Garmin and not honda unit.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I realise that a GPS is a radio reciever (not a tranciever) and doesn't "view" anything (or transmit anything either). I just used the term "view" for brevity. The following is a quote from the Magellan Maestro 3140 manual "The Magellan Maestro should be mounted in such a way that the antenna, (located in the top of the receiver), has an unobstructed view of the sky through the windshield." Guess someone needs to set this GPS manufacturer straight! When your ProClip arrives let me know how your GPS functions mounted in it as that was the original reason for this thread.
spreadhead,
My Tom Tom One XL GPS unit has worked perfectly when in the well just behind the gearshift (while waiting for my ProClip bracket set to arrive). The ProClip stuff arrived today and was mounted within about a minute. As a previous poster mentioned about this GPS "holder", the included tape is not necessary to attach the bracket to the door pillar of the Fit.

I am now a real fan of this brand of GPS holder. It is absolutely PERFECT- it holds the GPS unit securely within perfect view and reach of the driver (just above the left side AC vent), and my GPS functions just the way it was intended to.

Perhaps the Magellan Maestro requires it to be mounted so that the top of the GPS is below the windshield glass, but the Tom Tom does not require that position in order to function.

Dave

Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned
ProClip GPS Holder Photos

The first shot is through the windshield, showing the bracket (or clip) attached to the door pillar:

This photo shows how the clip attaches under the rubber strip on the door side of the pillar:

This one shows the attachment between the traingular window glass and the edge of the plastic pillar:

The tilt/swivel holder, custom made for your brand/model GPS, cell phone, or other device, attaches to the clip. The clip has double-sided tape to hold it more securely to the pillar, but I don't find that the tape is necessary. If you don't use the tape, the holder/clip can easily be removed and hidden so that it does not advertise to thieves that there is probably a GPS unit hidden in the car.

Here is the Tom Tom One XL mounted-

and turned on-

The combined total price for the bracket and device holder was about $65.00 , and shipping brought the total to about $73.00 and change. This is a very well designed product that works perfectly.