Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

What's the best look sun shade for the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 AM
What's the best look sun shade for the Fit?

What's the best look sun shade for the Fit? I don't want the Mickey Mouse ones!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
I like the UVS100 Heat Shield made by Covercraft. You can get it from AJUSA.com, and it's custom made for your car. Instead of unrolling it and having it looking wrinkly when you put it on your windshield, you unfold it and use your visors to keep it flat against the windshield, and it looks pretty nice and does a good job of keeping out the heat because it conforms to the shape of the windshield. Works well for me in the 117 degree summer heat

Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
But I have a related question:
I want to get sun shades for all the windows too.
Like this for the old Insight Hybrid:
HeatShield Custom Sun Visor, cutom fit heat shield by Canvasworks

But I've yet to find it for the Fit. So I am trying to concoct something reasonable just from standard reflectors and shades on the market. Any suggestions or experiences from the forum?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
eclipse sunshade. Always on the window ready to use

Photos & Features

Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Do you have one of those eclipse sunshades? I was thinking about just making my own shade like that, I didn't know they actually existed until now. That style sure beats having to fold and store a traditional shade. It seems like it's not supported by anything other than two posts on the ends of the windshield, so I wonder how sturdy it is and if it has a tendency to flop over, because nothing really holds it up in the middle. I also tend to think that the A Pillar (especially on the driver's side) is pretty big and obtrusive as it is, so I don't know how I'd feel about adding something else right there.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I have used the sunshade on all of our vehicles for many years. The main thing is the convenience of having it always ready to use, and not having something folded or rolled-up taking up space in the back.

To your questions it is a pleated material with a reflective coating on one side. When it is flush with the A pillar it is just over an inch including the three mounting brackets stuck to the inside of the windshield. Because it is on the edge of the windshield and the fact that you are looking from the center of the driver's seat at a slight angle, you only get a small amount of blockage in outward vision. On the passenger side because of the increased angle you get no blockage. The two ends that join under the rear view mirror are stiff, think of a one inch thin plastic covered in Velcro, and that along with the slight pleating of the material gives enough strength that it does not flop. You can also fold the two sun visors down which helps hold the top tight against the windshield. The end units by the A pillar have tensioned fishing lines that go horizontally across the shade so when you pull it apart in the middle under the rearview mirror, each half "retracts" to the bracket near the A-pillar. This keeps it from flopping around when you are driving.The two units unclip from the brackets so you can clean the inside of the windshield. Also if you have to get a new windshield or sell the car you can buy new install clips and keep your current shade. I have one that is 5 years old that has been moved onto three different kid cars. The FIT has such a large windshield that it requires three clips along the edge, all our other cars only used two. Living in Nevada, then south Texas, and now California it was always a must having some kind of sunshade. This particular style just made it easier for me to use. You might check with whoever sells the thing on-line and see what the return policy is. I would think you could try it out and even if you did not like it you would only have to pay for the clips that get stuck to the windshield. When I get back to town I can take some pictures.

Joe

Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
All right, JoeBob, you convinced me. It was actually a little cool here today, but very sunny. When I got to work, I parked facing into the sun. Even with all four windows cracked, it felt like it was 100 degrees inside my car when I came out three hours later for lunch! I definitely need a sun shade for that huge windshield, but I didn't like the thought of the roll-up kind . . . where would you store something that big when you weren't using it? The Eclipse sounds perfect. I'm ordering mine tonight! Thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
i like this one

Old 05-20-2009, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
To me, the best sunshade would be the one that actually FIT! Apparently the large ones were too small, and I ended up buying one of those circly ones that fold into a smaller circle..? LOL I'll find the brand and repost!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
I just got my Eclipse sunshade tonight and installed it. The directions were a little fuzzy at first, but I figured them out pretty easily. The entire install took less than 15 minutes. The shade looks great, and it's extremely easy to operate. Of course, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I won't know how well it works for a few days. I'm impressed so far, though!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I finally got a response from the folks at canvasworks about their heatshield sunshade. They say they do make shades for the side windows and the rear. Side windows come in a set of two. A front shade, a pair of side window shades, or a rear window shade will cost $34.95 by itself, but they knock it down to $30 if you buy more than one. I'm not sure if they have different shades for both the front and back side windows, because I was under the impression when they said "rear," that it meant the big window on the hatch. $30 for the individual shades doesn't seem bad, but I'm not sure I want to pay $90 to block out the sun from my windshield and side windows.
The person who contacted me said that if I wasn't satisfied, I could return them for a refund, because I asked about their return policy when I didn't see anything on the website.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chris 619
i like this one
hehe i have
i know kinda weird for a guy to have... but the girls love it

Name:  eyes.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  74.8 KB

Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Does anybody have a link or p/n for the genuine Honda sunshade? I saw it a while back on Bernardi or College Hills (it has the Fit logo on the front), but I'm having trouble locating it right now.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
I want to know about the Honda OEM shade too!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ando
I just got my Eclipse sunshade tonight and installed it. The directions were a little fuzzy at first, but I figured them out pretty easily. The entire install took less than 15 minutes. The shade looks great, and it's extremely easy to operate. Of course, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I won't know how well it works for a few days. I'm impressed so far, though!
Ando, how about an update on the Eclipse? I need to make a decision soon,
& I'd like to know how it's doing for you.

Also, who did your tint? I have to come up to Springfield, or down to St. L.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by md8232
Ando, how about an update on the Eclipse? I need to make a decision soon,
& I'd like to know how it's doing for you.

Also, who did your tint? I have to come up to Springfield, or down to St. L.
I love the Eclipse sunshade!

I've had "regular" sunshades before for other cars, and I never used them, because they're always such a hassle: there's no good place to store them, they're hard to fold/unfold, it takes too long to get them in place or take them down. (When you're running as late for work as I usually am, taking an extra minute to fumble with a sunshade isn't worth it! )

With the Eclipse, I use it almost all the time. There's no storage issue, and it takes only a few seconds to pull them together from each side of the windshield. (Opening them back up takes a little longer, because the Velcro sticks pretty well, but it still takes almost no time.) The Eclipse covers nearly the entire windshield (a little bit of a gap on the sides and at the top), and it's definitely the easiest sunshade I've ever owned. I was a little concerned at first about how "flimsy" it looks, but I've been using it every day for 2 months, and it seems like it's going to last a long time.

I got my windows tinted at Street Art on N. Dirksen Parkway in Springfield. They did 20% on "all the legal windows" (back half only) for $130 + tax.

So, where in Illinois are you?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Ando , can you please post several pics of the shade, both folded *and* unfolded?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ando
I love the Eclipse sunshade!

I've had "regular" sunshades before for other cars, and I never used them, because they're always such a hassle: there's no good place to store them, they're hard to fold/unfold, it takes too long to get them in place or take them down. (When you're running as late for work as I usually am, taking an extra minute to fumble with a sunshade isn't worth it! )

With the Eclipse, I use it almost all the time. There's no storage issue, and it takes only a few seconds to pull them together from each side of the windshield. (Opening them back up takes a little longer, because the Velcro sticks pretty well, but it still takes almost no time.) The Eclipse covers nearly the entire windshield (a little bit of a gap on the sides and at the top), and it's definitely the easiest sunshade I've ever owned. I was a little concerned at first about how "flimsy" it looks, but I've been using it every day for 2 months, and it seems like it's going to last a long time.

I got my windows tinted at Street Art on N. Dirksen Parkway in Springfield. They did 20% on "all the legal windows" (back half only) for $130 + tax.

So, where in Illinois are you?
Thanks, I'll give Street Art a call. I'm in Carlinville, about an hour south off Il. 111

Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justintime
Ando , can you please post several pics of the shade, both folded *and* unfolded?

Thanks!
I don't have any pictures of the sunshade. I'll try to get some taken sometime this week and post them. In the meantime, you can see pictures of the sunshade at the Eclipse website here (no pics with Fits, unfortunately).

Quick Reply: What's the best look sun shade for the Fit?