Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Avital vs. Viper alarm/keylessentry/remote starter systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Avital vs. Viper alarm/keylessentry/remote starter systems

I have a 2008 Fit basic. As I posted earlier I found out that replacing my dealer installed Prestige alarm/keyless entry system with one that contained a remote starter as well entails a whole new system in which they quoted me a ridiculous price to do so. So I went to a local car security system outfit in which he brought up options of an Avital 4300 alarm/keyless entry/remote starter system for $375 or a Viper 550 which he said is basically the same system (both brands I believe are owned by DEI) for $425. Difference is Viper comes with lifetime warranty, Avital only five years. Any knowledge on either of these systems? Should I pay extra for the Viper to get the lifetime warranty? He showed me more expensive options of both systems including super long range and a LCD remote but I think that may be overkill for my needs, especially the size of the LCD remote. I assume "normal" range units must go at least a couple of hundred feet which is the distance from my room to the car.

Any dedicated car security forums where I should be posting this question? Thanks for any responses.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:30 PM
viper and avital and phyton is all the same company its just what brand you want i would say get the phyton has a life time warranty. it cost a bit cheaper and has the same options. its just branch names so its all up to u cause its the same thing with any of those options.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Since they are from the same company, which is DEI, brand does not really matter. About the qualities, i do believe they have same quality. So it just depending on how the installation is. The difference left out only the appearance and the price, if i were you, i would determine my budget first, so i had rough idea which brand would fit with my budget, then i would pick which remote control i like (since this the only part from the alarm that i will see evertime). So pick which remote you like. Personally, i go with Viper, because it will lower your insurance rate!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:36 AM
it will but only like $5-$10 a month..

but like he said get one with a screen so u can see if someone goin in your car when you are in distance.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Just stay with a DEI system and your good to go!! I got the dealer's alaram along with a DEI alaram

Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
As far as insurance is concerned, I assume it wouldn't matter whether I get the Avital or the Viper as they both are the same type of alarm system.

Originally Posted by Dayak Man
Since they are from the same company, which is DEI, brand does not really matter. About the qualities, i do believe they have same quality. So it just depending on how the installation is. The difference left out only the appearance and the price, if i were you, i would determine my budget first, so i had rough idea which brand would fit with my budget, then i would pick which remote control i like (since this the only part from the alarm that i will see evertime). So pick which remote you like. Personally, i go with Viper, because it will lower your insurance rate!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Boy thos LCD screen remotes are pretty big. I wonder how they handle getting knocked around your pocket or a drop to the ground. A question about those two way LCD remotes though. I know it alerts you if your car alarm system gets activated but is that just visual or audible as well?

Originally Posted by enjoito
it will but only like $5-$10 a month..

but like he said get one with a screen so u can see if someone goin in your car when you are in distance.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
DEI makes a leather case to protect the fob. As for alerts the viper 5900 has an option for beep alerts or vibration while displaying the trigger on the display. Not sure about other 2-ways though.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 AM
If u can get the Viper, get the Viper! You pay more now and you will get it back over time (if you will keep the car for a long time). Let say you will keep the car for 5 years and you save $5 (the worst scenario, but i do believe you will save more than $5) every month from your insurance, you will get 300 bucks back. So basically you only pay $250 for the Viper. Whereas, The Avital wont lower your insurance rate.

As far as i know, Viper has the smallest and sleekest screen in the market right now. I'm not sure about the Avital's! And Viper gives lifetime warranty on remote, exclude physical damage. As long as you have the receipt, just return it to Viper, and they will send you a brand new remote (or probably a refurbish one).

On the remote, Viper 791 and Viper 5900 are similar, the difference is only the range. Viper 791 has 1/4 mile range and Viper 5900 has 1 mile range, which means Viper 5900 will drain the batteries faster than Viper 791. Both remotes can be programed for beep and/or vibrate.

ps: I'm not sure if DEI still make Viper 550!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Why do you say the Avital won't lower your insurance rate? Both systems are active alarm systems.

Originally Posted by Dayak Man
If u can get the Viper, get the Viper! You pay more now and you will get it back over time (if you will keep the car for a long time). Let say you will keep the car for 5 years and you save $5 (the worst scenario, but i do believe you will save more than $5) every month from your insurance, you will get 300 bucks back. So basically you only pay $250 for the Viper. Whereas, The Avital wont lower your insurance rate.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 AM
I think is because Viper will cover your loss if your car got break in, if you register the alarm (I don't know exactly how it works). From my personal experience, i saved $50/year on my 91 MR2, and the alarm was Viper 350 (was the most basic alarm from Viper). Or what you can do is, ask your insurance, if you get the Viper how much the rate will be. And if you get the Avital, how much it will be. Cause i asked my insurance and they said only Viper will lower my insurance rate.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
It's probably a state to state thing then. Here in Massachusetts I don't think it matters what brand.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
i would say viper 2way paging with no lcd comes with 2way and a 1way transmitter...best buy carries avital but only remote start units, city circuit carries python...if you need help i install these for a living and im not a hack like some dealership cars i see by looking under the dash

Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i had the 4300 in my jeep for years and never failed me.
worked great all they time.

on the other hand like everyone is saying there is alot
more newer stuff out there.
try looking at CompuStar also. they are great. LCD, remote start
everything you want.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Viper FTW! I've had Viper security systems on all my cars. Viper has never failed me.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
I've been looking at the Viper 350 alarm system all morning, and it looks promising for my base model. I'll probably pick it up from best buy. As for the remote starter, im indifferent about it. I heard they make you sign a waiver or something or they just dont install it if your car is manual just incase you remote start it in 1st gear. lol. But i would only find remote start useful if you lived in the cold and wanted to warm up the car, other than that its just a "cool" thing i suppose.

Last edited by AnlDyxp_GD3; 11-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I live in a cold climate. It sucks scraping the frost off in the morning and waiting for the windshield to stop fogging up. It costs me a good five or sometimes ten minutes off my commute. The summertime heat isn't as bad as the AC kicks in fairly quickly and at least you can still start the car and immediately drive right away.

Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
I've been looking at the Viper 350 alarm system all morning, and it looks promising for my base model. I'll probably pick it up from best buy. As for the remote starter, im indifferent about it. I heard they make you sign a waiver or something or they just dont install it if your car is manual just incase you remote start it in 1st gear. lol. But i would only find remote start useful if you lived in the cold and wanted to warm up the car, other than that its just a "cool" thing i suppose.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
i have the viper but no lcd screen. seems to work pretty well.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
so i purchased the python 460hp alarm from another member on the forum, do you guys know how the python 460 compares to the viper 350? i beleive they are both the most basic keyless/alarm systems. They are from the same company correct?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Yea, they are the same! Doing the same thing, look the same (remote control), but different in price!

Quick Reply: Avital vs. Viper alarm/keylessentry/remote starter systems