Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

ideal tweeter location for GD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
ideal tweeter location for GD?

planning on getting some nice speakers soon and not sure where the tweeters should go... Stock location most likely is gonna bother the HELL out of me cuz whenever i hold the steering wheel with my left hand, the sound suddenly disappears from the left tweeter, most the time i end up driving with one hand... lame! anyone find a good place? im not so great with calculations and if i wasnt so lazy i'd be out there with a tweeter in my hand searching for a good place for em. Also, i understand that placing the tweeter and the midbass too far apart might sound bad... so if i leave the woofer in the stock location and go higher with the tweeters will it sound weird?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm have you tried the A-pillar? You just have to aim the tweeters toward you I guess.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
there is no airbag in there right? those "airbag" wordings on there scare me but i think they're just talking about the curtain ones on the side

Old 02-15-2010, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
there is no airbag in there right? those "airbag" wordings on there scare me but i think they're just talking about the curtain ones on the side
Oh right you guys get the curtain airbags.

I'm not sure if the A-pillar still hides any of those but my hunch is it doesn't. No real point to putting any airbag at the area of the front quarter window I guess

Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
There is no airbag in the A pillar, and therefore no danger in mounting a tweeter there. However; that much separation between driver and tweeter is going to sound really off. You are only "blocking" the high frequency from the stock tweeter because it sucks! Try replacing them with something of higher quality in the OE location before you get adventurous. I personally would try doing 1.5 inch tweeters in a gauge panel on top of the dash for a "center channel" effect, but that is waaaaayyyy further than I am willing to go. Its a noisy little car going down the road after all....l

Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I took some pics of the OE drivers this evening, including one on an old scientific scale. I forgot to include the tweeters in the photos (oops) The drivers weigh in at 217 GRAMS each! I may be crazy but that seems a little light, and in retrospect it explains why their limits could be reached with only an aftermarket HU as an upgrade. Heaven forbid you try to amp these little buggers up.

Shot with KODAK C310 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2010-02-17

Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
i vote a-pillars. you dont necessarily have to have the mid next to the tweeter. if u get the alpine speakers i recommended, they have cross over settings for that.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
What do u think about the DLS UP6i's? i'm thinking about getting those

btw do u think u can help me with the install? haha i was gonna take it to a shop since i was THINKING about doing some light insulation but no idea how to do it or where to put it

Last edited by accordguyintake; 02-17-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feared
i vote a-pillars. you dont necessarily have to have the mid next to the tweeter. if u get the alpine speakers i recommended, they have cross over settings for that.
Yep, I've auditioned a few GDs with A-pillar-mounted tweeters and they sounded pretty good to my ears.

Some people actually opt to fill out the front quarter window with tweeters instead because they don't use the "funny little triangles of glass." Probably a better idea to do on the GD than on the GE.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Diy tweeter placement - DIYMA.com

well well

OH NO!! this component set doesnt look like it comes with swivel mounts

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mate+UP6i.html

Last edited by accordguyintake; 02-18-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
keep in mind that guy has active crossovers as well

Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Use a pair of high quality coaxials in the doors. Use a pair of separate tweeters in the A-pillar if you wish crossed over high. If it happens to come with a crossover with selectable output, that's even better so you can control their output a little. You want a full range sound coming from the door, otherwise the distance split between the mid in the door and the tweeter in the A-pillar will yield you not so natural sound. You'll have a hole in your frequency response. If the tweeter in the coax has a selectable output as well, all the better.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
okay well i'll probably get it installed sometime this week, i'll just sit in the car and have someone help me move it in different spots until i find the best sound. I'll also consult the shop about your advise of Coaxials

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
You want the tweeters sort of low in the A pillars pointed away from you towards the middle of the windshield. If you look close at my dashboard, you will see two tweeters firing at you in custom aluminum pods. The path length of these to your ears is within an inch of the tweeters I have in my doors. The sound stage is incredible. If you aren't going to utilize rear speakers, try throwing the polarity of the right side door out of phase. (Switch the positive and negative terminal hookups).

Old 03-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Just want to share mine. The metal mounts cost a third of the price of the separates but it's adjustable to have it pointed to your ears. Although the way it was set up was for it to point to the rearview mirror.

Name:  02252010036.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  02252010037.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  02242010032.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  02242010033.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  41.1 KB

Old 03-01-2010, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
you found the sound better pointed up?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Radareclipse, do you have any close-ups of the tweeter pods? Those look pretty trick and I imagine they sound really incredible. I'm starting to think of just adding a mid-size sub and high passing the speakers in the passenger compartment. The rattles are driving me insane! LOL

Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seonadancing
Just want to share mine. The metal mounts cost a third of the price of the separates but it's adjustable to have it pointed to your ears. Although the way it was set up was for it to point to the rearview mirror.

Nice tweeter location there.
I thought of mounting them a little farther forward, but hey that seems to work too

Got a better photo of the mounts themselves?

Last edited by Type 100; 03-01-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
My, what big tweeters you have. Very nice job. They look like vifa drivers. Must sound nice. If you point the tweeters away from you Jason, then your path lengths to the sound are increased in distance, giving you a better symmetry in left and right sound. Both front seat occupants have a better chance of enjoying the sound.

Here is a machined pod with three small holes in the bottom. Two for mounting and one for the speaker wire. I measured and marked where I wanted them, then tapped my cousin on the shoulder and said, "Good luck".
The airbag was removed on the passenger side, so there was access there.
I have no clue how he managed to get to the driver's side as he was all by himself as far as I know. He executed the system in my car.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I'll try to take a better picture of the swivel mounts. The tweeters were adjusted to point to the rearview mirror and i did't adjust it anymore, i thought the sound guys knew what they were doing. Apparently the speakers should be pointed to your ears and not your face, so the right one is pointed to my ear and the left one is pointed to the passenger. Have to read more about sound waves and check if it goes through a straight line or it curves and falls directly to my ears =).

Last edited by seonadancing; 03-02-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: ideal tweeter location for GD?