Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Question about Clazzio covers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Question about Clazzio covers...

I have a few questions about these for anyone who has installed them:

1. If you had the choice to purchase again, would you?

2. What color most closely matches the leather wrapped wheel, interior panels, Zeta armrest?

3. What material did you choose?
- I'm considering the PVC for several reasons:
-- Leather always seems to look rough after a few years.
-- Lower cost, esp if they have to be replaced due to crash damage.
-- If Leatherette is good enough for a $40K Mercedes, why isn't it good enough for a Fit?
-- The "leather" ones look to be mostly PVC anyway - it no part of my body is going to touch the seats, even in shorts.

4. Is it adjustable, so that if it stretches over time, it can be tightened back up.

5. Do you need warm weather to install them (to make the material more flexible).

I'm very interested in them for several reasons:

A - I have kids, and they are messy. I'm tired of cleaning gum, glitter, bits of food, etc. out of the seats. They manage to sneak it into the car even when it's strictly forbidden.

B - The seats seem to attract all kinds of debris, lint, etc.

C - I want to stuff some extra material between the seat and the cover. The seats feel fantastic with a leather-look cushion, but they look tacky on the seat. I'm mostly a form over function soft of person, but a cheesy looking O'Reilly Auto-Parts pad on the seat is where I draw the line. Putting it under the seat cushion works to some extent, but messes up the contours of the cushion, and doesn't fill in the annoying grooves between the bolsters and the main cushion.

The cheapo pad, if I buy these covers, will be sacrificed to make better door armrest pads (currently some cheap vinyl over section of mouse-pad. Better than the hard surfaces of the door panels, but not wonderful)

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM
1) 100% YES! These are by far my favorite mod so far. Much more comfortable and very easy to keep clean.

2) I have all black, and it matches the steering wheel fairly well.

3) I chose all PVC for the same reasons you gave. The leather ones are 70% PVC anyway. Also I ordered some samples of the various materials and didn't notice enough difference to justify the cost.

4) There are strings under the seat to tighten things up but I dont think you will ever have to. After about 9 months mine haven't moved at all. Fitment is the same as the day I installed them.

5) I'm not sure. I installed mine early in the spring and it wasn't particularly warm. Its definitely a snug fit. I did install the headrest covers inside with the help of a hairdryer which made things a bit easier.

A) You will love the seats then. Ive spilled all kinds of things on these; coke, ketchup, mcrib sauce, it all comes of very easy.

B)^

C) There is a little bit of room to stuff extra padding in the lower lumbar area. The rest is very snug and i'm not sure if you could fit much more material underneath. I'm planing on installing heating pads underneath mine.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
going neo

If you are interested in neoprene, Costco is having a great sale on coverking neoprene covers right now.
I am getting ready to order some for my front seats. Not sure about the backs, since I don't regularly have passengers back there & usually keep one of the seats in the up position for hauling things..

I have leather seats in my Subaru & the driver seat is pretty worn. I also found them sticky in hot weather.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Not interested in neoprene. My Element had a mix of water resistant fabric and vinyl, and I loved the combo: VERY easy to keep clean. My Jeep had all vinyl, and was even better. I loved being able to clean the seats with a damp cloth. Thanks for the heads up though!

Do the Clazzios have any padding in the covers? The info page states that some seat covers have up to a half inch of memory foam integrated in there.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Quick question about the Clazzios also, where can we purchase them here on Fit Freak? It seems like a few vendors have folded and left without telling anyone.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I originally became interested when seeing them listed on Zetaproducts. They are still shown on there. The leatherette is listed at $270 and leather at $450 I think.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
You can also order from Bean Garage. I don't know if Zetaproducts allows you to order different colors like Bean Garage does. That's why I went there. But be warned, anything they don't have in stock (usually just black) it will take 8-10 weeks cause they are made in Japan. Still waiting for mine but they will soon ship. BTW, whenever I've sent an email the usually respond the same day if not the next.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
seatcovers

Has anyone ordered directly from Clazzio?

Auto,Upholstery, Seat Covers, Leather Seats, clazzio, Custom

Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Not interested in neoprene. My Element had a mix of water resistant fabric and vinyl, and I loved the combo: VERY easy to keep clean. My Jeep had all vinyl, and was even better. I loved being able to clean the seats with a damp cloth. Thanks for the heads up though!

Do the Clazzios have any padding in the covers? The info page states that some seat covers have up to a half inch of memory foam integrated in there.
So... thickness of the section that goes on the bottom cushion? Anyone?

Hoping that perhaps it would put more tension across the top, and prevent me from sinking as far into the foam. If you're a 190 lbs dude with a condition known as "the bony ass," you sink down pretty easily into the middle of the seat bottom. Adding padding under the seat helped to some extent, but messed up the relation between the seat surface and the frame (e.g. the bolsters did nothing).

Does anyone in the Norcal area have a set installed that I could see/sit? I'd totally make a little roadtrip to check them out.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I ordered mine from Beangarage as well. Ordered all black PVC and got em in a little under a week.

As for the added foam; yes they do have about 1/2" of memory foam in the lower cushion and back rest. I'm about 195/6'1" and definitely noticed a difference. That being said added support wasnt my main reason for purchase, so I didn't do any side by side comparisons vs stock.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by jcuecker
I ordered mine from Beangarage as well. Ordered all black PVC and got em in a little under a week.

As for the added foam; yes they do have about 1/2" of memory foam in the lower cushion and back rest. I'm about 195/6'1" and definitely noticed a difference. That being said added support wasnt my main reason for purchase, so I didn't do any side by side comparisons vs stock.
Cool, thanks!

I was briefly concerned that a leather/PVC surface wouldn't be as comfortable for all day driving... and then it occured to me that my the chair at my desk at work is all leather, and I sit in it a good part of the day.

Guess I'll be ordering some of these soon.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 AM
OK... so thanks B-Blue and jcuecker for the heads up on BeanGarage. I checked and they had the all black, all PVC in stock, should be shipped out Monday morning.

I went with the all-PVC for three reasons

1 - the Suede.. yeah, I want to be able to keep it clean more easily.
2 - the leather seats are mostly PVC anyway
3 - unless this is unbelievably awesome leather, it won't feel much different from PVC anyway - I can tell a major difference between a pleather jacket and a lambskin jacket. I can tell pleather gloves from deerskin gloves. But tough leather designed for carseats usually looks and feels more or less like pleather at first, and gets worn to crap after a few years.

So, looking forward to getting them installed. It may be my weekend project next weekend depending on how quickly USPS moves (assuming they use them. Jacksonville, FL to Monterey, CA is no short trip)

Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
WooHoo!

I'm getting mine today!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
OK... Ordered my seats on Saturday, and got an email immediately letting me know that the order form lost my color preference. No prob... Gave Spencer (the owner of BeanGarage) the colors.

They had the black/black/black PVC covers in stock. He had them shipped first thing Monday, and they arrived here today. Top Notch customer service; I highly recommend Bean Garage for seat-covers or anything else (he also sells performance stuff, which I really couldn't care less about in an econobox, but I know some of you guys like to try your hand at automotive alchemy!)

I'm busy tonight, but will take a stab at them tomorrow night. Woohoo!

EDIT:
Also, you know it's good quality when you look at it and say, "hmm... did I actually get the leather? It sure looks like leather. Sure feels better than I was expecting!"

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah Spencer really does communicate very well. I've told him that he should become a sponsor on this site.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 PM
One thing that wasn't clear from the websites:

1 - There is a thin layer of foam, but not memory foam.
2 - the PVC centers are perforated as well, which should make it breathe nicely (which I'd thought was perhaps the only real benefit of the leather).

Won't get to see and feel them on the seats until tomorrow, but I'm quite impressed with the materials.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
How are your hands?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
I had some trouble tying my boots this morning. I took three Motrin and felt better after an hour or so.

They're still a bit sore - I've mostly been good today, until this evening, when I thought my arms were going to fall off carrying a pizza and a 2-liter of Manzanita Sol up the stairs to my apartment.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
My hands where so sore to the point I couldn't even scratch. But well worth it.

Quick Reply: Question about Clazzio covers...