Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GD3 speaker upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 PM
GD3 speaker upgrades?

What would be the most logical upgrades for the GD3 Sport's stock 6 and 1/2 door speakers? I'd like for them to handle the same frequencies (no crossover issues) that the the stock speakers do. The HU will remain the same. I've recently added an Infinity Basslink subwoofer and am thrilled with it's output but am considering better door speakers for the fit. Any input would be appreciated! Ease of installation and long term durability are critical.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
i know someone is going to come in here and suggest crutchfield. but that site is
a. total rip off (compare they're prices to google or any local audio shop even and you'll laugh)
b. useless ( they tell you the speakers will fit but INFACT they don't)

Regardless your going to have to do some modding to get ANY aftermarket branded speaker/tweeter to fit.( spacer, wiring, dremeling) they're just is no direct replacement unless it's another factory speaker...

oh and you should lay down some sound deadening material while swapping speakers. it's seriously one of the best mod's for the fit platform period. check out edead by elemental designs, you should need about 120 sq feet for the whole car.

Last edited by FITment; 01-03-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
crutchfeild

I'm antiCrutchfield too! I just hoped for what might be the closest match. Modding isn't a big issue. I'd definitely like for it to fit behind the stock grills. I'd like for the stock Sport GD3 head unit to be able to power them so they must be fairly efficient.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'll agree with FITment about crutchfield, and I've made that known elsewhere but he has some great recommendations. Trying some different speakers at your local shop will be your best bet. When I managed the shop I worked at I used to tell people that sometimes specs don't tell you how really efficient a given speaker is. And how they sound to you will matter more than what I think sounds good or anyone else. I would hit up your local shop and see what you can find.

When I redid my front speakers I used a pretty beefy speaker with a simple 3/4" spacer that fits behind the OEM grill. I would be careful of any coax with a tweeter that sticks out very far.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
depth?

Can anyone tell me the depth of the stock GD3's speakers? Since there's a tweeter up front is there any difference between the front and rear 6 and 1/2s?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
you should search for the speaker replacement thread on here utilizing the stock speakers plastic mounting ring.

do a google search for it and i'm sure you'll find it. it has pics too and seems like the most hassle free way( cutting out stock speaker/taping in new one and re-using the plastic)

Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
searched

I tried "speaker replacement" as well as other search terms on FF as well as google. I think I remember the thread but can't find it now.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
much thanks!

Thank you very much FITment! Rep!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
no problem dude , i'm upgrading mine aswell and have been on the hesitant side too.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
options

I was considering these

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 180-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Electronics

from amazon. Their depth is listed as 1 and 15/16ths of an inch. Is that shallow enough? Their efficiency is listed as 93 Db and I wondered if the stock head unit would provide enough power. I actually like the aesthetics and ease of use of the Fit's HU so I'm resistant to going that far. Those links FITment provided didn't list the brand and model (edit: Sony Xplode but couldn't find the depth yet) of speakers they used. I thought I'd check the depth of any speakers that had been successfully installed in GD fits without depth issues. I had an Integra that I upgraded the speakers and the windows scraped. I like the idea of using the old speakers as adapters. They certainly can't fail to fit!

Last edited by feddup; 01-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Using the old speakers as the adapters may be difficult. They don't really have a mounting flange. If you've got a jig saw and some birch, hard plastic (think cutting board material) or MDF you can make your own. With a thin speaker you might not have to trim out the metal of the door.

As a side note, I think my drivers in the doors are almost 3" deep minus the 3/4" spacer and I don't hit the window.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
fit?

Originally Posted by lashlee

As a side note, I think my drivers in the doors are almost 3" deep minus the 3/4" spacer and I don't hit the window.
If 2 and 1/4th" (3-3/4") then 1 and 15/16ths ought to make it. I'm not QUITE ready to order yet but it's got me thinking. Thanks for the input!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM
i'll be amplifying all of my speakers

Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM
3!

that converts to a hair over 3 inches. That allows for MORE options. thanks for the find FITment! IF I do it I'm going for some efficient speakers for the stock HU. My Infinity Basslink helped the sound system's "punch" a ton. I'm reluctant to add another amp but who knows with time. I've upgrade slowly, and I hope, carefully. I've owned the Fit for more than 3 years.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Another speaker you may want to check out is the Polk Audio db651s. I bought a pair and am installing them in the front this weekend. I'm not sure if you are hung up on getting all Infinity audio stuff or not. I bought mine off Amazon for $54 shipped brand new.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 PM
interested!

Originally Posted by BallerStatus
Another speaker you may want to check out is the Polk Audio db651s. I bought a pair and am installing them in the front this weekend. I'm not sure if you are hung up on getting all Infinity audio stuff or not. I bought mine off Amazon for $54 shipped brand new.
ANY info you can give me from the install difficulty/procedure would be appreciated. I AM pro-Infinity but am not locked in by any means. I considered the db651s. What was their efficiency? mounting depth? I'm interested in your install and how it goes. I still wonder about the crossover for the front tweeters. Are the front and rear 6 and 1/2s identical. Is the treble from the fronts guided to the tweeter (away from the 6 and 1/2) and if so are the rear door speakers full range? I'm going to upgrade the door speakers but am in no hurry.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm at work now, but plan to install them this afternoon. I will let you know how it goes. One of the reasons I chose these is they are shallow mount and shouldnt create too many install issues (at least I hope). These are the 2-ways, but you can also get component speakers in this style w/ the seperate tweeters. I have a base model and I'm not ready to hack up the door panels just yet.

Top mount depth - 1.63 in
Bottom mount depth - 2.31 in
60W RMS each

Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I wasnt too sure about installing crossovers in the doors either, so I left the component speakers alone. I think the Sports have the tweeter seperate in the front and have a 2-way style speaker in the rear w/ tweeter included "in" the woofer. In my base, both speakers are the 2-way style. Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: GD3 speaker upgrades?