Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/)
-   -   Dashboard creaking (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/9003-dashboard-creaking.html)

Tomwaits 04-28-2008 02:07 PM

Dashboard rattles...updated...

So I finally got the car back on Friday, a week after the dealer thought it would be finished. They removed the windshield to get at the dash and apparently it was cracked, so that was replaced. The initial fix of padding the leading edge of the dash didn't work, so they pulled the entire dash and steering column. Found that the central support had some stripped bolts, so that was replaced. They then padded the entire dash area and any dash to metal contact points.
So, after two weeks of driving a rental car (Mazda 5, not bad but I'm not cool with the minivan vibe), I picked it up Friday afternoon, all washed and clean. Drove 40 feet before I realized they had neglected to reconnect the stereo and A/C controls, so it's going back tomorrow. meh....

It is very quiet now, so it looks like all the work was productive and indeed, the AM/FM button does not appear to rattle anymore.

Atmos 08-10-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lunacreations (Post 95409)
My Fit let me in on its secret. Or rather I finally figured out where my rattle is coming from. Ok so I'm not exactly sure what the part is because I forgot to look at it but if you reach all the way under the dash where the steering wheel is there's some cover or something under there and if I push up on it the rattle stops. So now I have to get under there and figure out exactly what I can do to perm. stop the rattle. I thought for the longest time it was coming from on top of the dash but I had a quiet drive home one night and was able to figure it out. So maybe that is where other people are hearing their rattle from.

Yes I have the same thing and it's definitely that flimsy cheap plastic under the steering column. I push on it when i drive and it stops. I'm going under there when I get home tonight and gonna try either screwing it down or putting some kind of stuffing in there to keep it from vibrating. Where you ever able to fix this?

bayen 07-15-2011 06:49 AM

experiencing the same thing on my GE8 but i think the squeaking sound is coming from the right part (passenger side) of the dashboard. i've had that noise for the longest time now and when i brought it to the dealership before, SA told me that it was because of the light plastics that honda uses. So i tried living with the noise but now its just unbearable. i want it to just go away. heres what i have tried so far, when i hear the noise, i opened the glove compartment and the noise is still there, but when i tried to press down on the upper left part side of the glove compartment, the noise lessens, so i tried putting WD40 on the hinges of the glove compartment, oiled that sucker properly, checked the plastics under the dash, cleaned it, tested it out. SAME freaking squeaky noise. i don't know what else to do. right now i just use the radio to cancel out the squeaks. its like am riding with tweety bird. i just hate it. hope somebody can help me.

bayen 07-16-2011 02:23 AM

had time awhile ago and tried looking for the squeaking.
i noticed that the plastic part near and tweeter is a bit loose. so i inserted a rubber filling in between the plastics there. hopefully the noise goes away already. will test it later. will post updates later.

bayen 07-18-2011 02:13 AM

squeaking still there.
was able to remove the entire plastic assembly this weekend, tightened everything, still there was squeaking. am planning to oil it this weekend with silicone oil or petroleum jelly. hopefully that fixes the problem.

Hylander 02-17-2014 09:56 PM

Cracking sound

My Honda Jazz 2010 has a cracking sound at the front right pillar/dash? It started after the car went on a hoist to have tyres fitted and a service.

At first only noticeable by me and it was when the left front wheel went over bumps or uneven surface. It has continually got worse. The service manager did hear it eventually and said that they have had another Honda with the problem.

He spoke of getting a part and seeing what happens with the other car. A mention of the whole dash being replaced. I am taking it for a service tomorrow and I have asked again that they address the problem. I will tell you how I go.