Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior Modifications (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/)
-   -   Dashboard creaking (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/9003-dashboard-creaking.html)

Halcyon 10-03-2006 11:13 PM

Dashboard creaking

Drivers side near the front left bar (pillar), I hear a creaking/rubbing sound and I took it to honda twice and its still there. Wondering if anyone else has heard anything. Annoying like crazy, enough to think im crazy to keep going back.

I tried to push it down while driving but seems to be coming from inside. hmff

whitefitsport 10-04-2006 02:29 AM

haha I have the exact same squeak from the exact same place. it should be easy to fix.

zmbrand210 10-04-2006 12:40 PM

i have the same creaking noise from where you described. so its good im not the only one hearing this annoying noise.

Halcyon 10-05-2006 01:05 AM

Have you taken your fits in yet to get them to fix it? It seems try to as i posted, i still have the sound. If they take 3 days to fix it, i would be happy. seriously. happy.

minidriver8 10-05-2006 05:20 PM

once in a while i get a rattle in my dash, but my brain is telling me it's front right....maybe middle right. i can't tell so i need to get someone else to drive the car while i crawl all over the dash!!! it gets annoying then it goes away for days!?!?!?!?!???

2hot6ft2 10-05-2006 06:55 PM

Maybe you have a mouse living in your dash that would explain it moving and going away at times. Or perhaps it's a gremlin...

Serious on the mouse, joking on the gremlin. I would be interested in what you find it to be though.

Packy 10-05-2006 07:04 PM

I've heard it as well. I almost think it's the fuse box cover near your left knee. When I pushed in my fuse cover earlier today the sound I was hearing went away I think. I'll listen for it on the drive home tonight, too.

It's so flippin' hard to locate a sound while driving down a road... plus you look like a crazy person who is trying to listen to his car tell him a secret!

2hot6ft2 10-05-2006 07:32 PM

If you look like a crazy person just make sure you look up and smile a crazy smile once in a while to keep them wondering if your car let you in on it.

Lunacreations 10-09-2006 11:04 AM

My Fit let me in on its secret. Or rather I finally figured out where my rattle is coming from. Ok so I'm not exactly sure what the part is because I forgot to look at it but if you reach all the way under the dash where the steering wheel is there's some cover or something under there and if I push up on it the rattle stops. So now I have to get under there and figure out exactly what I can do to perm. stop the rattle. I thought for the longest time it was coming from on top of the dash but I had a quiet drive home one night and was able to figure it out. So maybe that is where other people are hearing their rattle from.

kz098123 10-09-2006 12:38 PM

Mine squeaks only when the weather is cold, like less than 50deg F.

Halcyon 10-09-2006 02:20 PM

Yes..when its cold here it rattles and creaks like a childs toy. I am taking it in for the 3rd time to honda on thursday this week to see if they can fix it. I will keep taking it in til its fixed. But the more problems people have makes me feel better inside. Share the pain!

edstroyer 10-09-2006 02:23 PM

My Fit had an annoying creek/grinding sound coming from the right/passenger pillar.

I discovered that the rubber door molding wasn’t protecting an area that it was supposed to.

There is a cut-out on the inside door frame were the rubber is supposed to stick out and act as a bumper when closing the door. With out the rubber sticking out, the metal of the door frame is rubbing against the body and making the noise. (In this Picture you can see the small dot of scratched away paint left on the body door frame.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...rdoorframe.jpg

On the next picture, I highlighted the area on the door that wasn’t cut properly, thus not allowing the rubber to stick out and act as a bumper. I used my dremel and opened the opening a little wider thus allowing the rubber to fully pop-out.

The Noise is now gone. WhooHoo!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...20Fit/door.jpg

This is the third (and last) minor annoying noise issue I have solved on my Fit. Hope this info helps...

Here are some links to the other Problems and solutions i have had with my FIT...

Windshield Wiper Noise https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...?t=8334&page=2

Windshield Whining-Noise Problem Solved!
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...ndshield+noise

Good Luck!

2hot6ft2 10-09-2006 04:31 PM

Nice to see that people are figuring out what's making the noises. I haven't had any yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

bobthenuke 10-11-2006 12:35 PM

An easy way to deal with squeaks is to lightly spray some teflon lube (I prefer the stuff from NAPA because it's totally inert) in the area you think is causing the noise. Generally this will take care of it.

bob

Jonniedee 10-11-2006 01:29 PM

I'll second the Teflon lube - was using WD-40 but it dried out - tried some DRY teflon spray (easier to clean than the grease stuff) and it works PERFECTLY!

trowpa 10-11-2006 01:54 PM

Is nobody else getting a rattle from their raido's "AM/FM" button? darn thing is annoying as ever...

edstroyer 10-11-2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by trowpa
Is nobody else getting a rattle from their raido's "AM/FM" button? darn thing is annoying as ever...

Lift up the hood and take a peek and see if you have a label or something else flapping around somewhere in there. I had a label wrapped around one of the hoses and it was flapping around when driving giving the impression that the noise was from under the inside dash.

These Labels are used to identify the part its attached to and, are usually wrapped around the part and glued at both ends thus creating a tail that you may here when/if wind hits it. You may just want to remove any suspicious labels or tape them down to start you’re troubleshooting.

Good luck!

trowpa 10-12-2006 06:56 AM

Nope - it is DEFINITELY the am/fm button. When I put my finger on it, it stops. I can tell even when its not rattling that there is more "play" in that button than all the others (CD, AUX, DIP). I'll be talking to the dealer about it when I take it in for its first oil change. However I just don't know how you could fix it without taking the entire head unit apart...(which I hesitate to let them do, since I may end up with more rattles after they remove and put it back in!).

I just don't see how you make a button like that tighter from the outside...

Halcyon 11-08-2006 02:00 AM

Update:

Now its rattling behind the stereo somewhere lol - oh man, new cars.

eyedryve 11-08-2006 10:53 PM

Fixed the dash creak/rattle!!!

Opened the glove box, unlatched the rubber stops at the sides. Flashlight looking up inside. One hand reached up under the dash top and the ducts for the vents and defrosters... other hand tapping on the top of the dashboard to cause the resonance/rattle. Found that the dash and ducts are either one piece molded together or very well connected. Reached ALL the way to the front of the underside of the dash, and found a 3/4" space to the firewall. Took (of all things...) an unused golf club grip- weird, I know- and wedged the living Sh*t out of it up in there. Tapped on the dash, no resonance. Drive the worst road- no rattles now. And, it's still cold here this week- should be worse given the recent past.

Now if I can just fix the friggin doors, I'll be set. I've ordered Dampening mat and rattle pad from Second Skin Audio which I plan to install this weekend for the doors, and hopefully, it will be silent. And better sound quality to boot!

I'll let you know...