Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Quick easy TPMS Light Eliminator DIY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Quick easy TPMS Light Eliminator DIY!!!

Not sure quite where this should go but there are many TPMS light issues here so i figured this would be best.

I finally thought of a quick easy NON permanent way of getting rid of the annoying TPMS light. The full write up can be found here

TPMS Delete

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Why dont you just transfer the sensors to the new wheels?

Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 PM
iunno if it works for him or not... The Honda TMPS sensors might not fit on all rims... the sizes and width all come into play

Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Opti
Why dont you just transfer the sensors to the new wheels?
its a lot of work, and if people cant do it themselves. I swap wheels every autox and the sensor would be on and off and i just didnt want to deal with it

Old 07-05-2008, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
sohondagarage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
its a lot of work, and if people cant do it themselves. I swap wheels every autox and the sensor would be on and off and i just didnt want to deal with it
if you auto x that much it may be wise to just invest in a new set of tpms for your auto x wheels that way if there is a problem with your tires you get a warning light before you get a blow out and you really do some damage.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
great write up

Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
if you auto x that much it may be wise to just invest in a new set of tpms for your auto x wheels that way if there is a problem with your tires you get a warning light before you get a blow out and you really do some damage.
lol are you serious? Tire pressures change the way a car handles even with just a PSI difference, I check the pressure and adjust it every run.

thanks sol and SD

Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by zRollerskate
iunno if it works for him or not... The Honda TMPS sensors might not fit on all rims... the sizes and width all come into play
No not so much. Almost every valvestem on mainstream cars are the same size. Some are slightly fatter than most but all the rest run the same bore size in the wheel. The only way I could see the new sensors not transfering over is if the valvestem comes out perpendicular to the wheel, as most sensors are made for the common valve stem positioning of 45 degrees out of the lip.

All this TPMS stuff jst kinda gets me. On race wheels its understandable but on street wheels, just tranfer them over.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=SHG_Mike;357751]Not sure quite where this should go but there are many TPMS light issues here so i figured this would be best.

I finally thought of a quick easy NON permanent way of getting rid of the annoying TPMS light. The full write up can be found here

A 1" piece of black electrical tape works wonders.

TPMS sensors cost $50 to 100 each and dealers I know charge $5 extra for each installed sensor. Most dealers don't charge for required programming the sensor - if you bought your car from them - and if you decide on TPMS on your other wheels make sure you get ones compatible with your Fit; there are some half-dozen manufacturwers out there.

"i'm from the gov'ment and I'm here to help you."

Old 07-06-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
No not so much. Almost every valvestem on mainstream cars are the same size. Some are slightly fatter than most but all the rest run the same bore size in the wheel. The only way I could see the new sensors not transfering over is if the valvestem comes out perpendicular to the wheel, as most sensors are made for the common valve stem positioning of 45 degrees out of the lip.

All this TPMS stuff jst kinda gets me. On race wheels its understandable but on street wheels, just tranfer them over.
TPMS compatibility has nothing to do with the valve stem. There's an o-ring on the body of the sensor that has to mate up with a flat area around the hole where the stem passes through the rim. Collegehillshonda has a video where they put the sensors on 07 HPF rims as a lark. I personally wouldn't trust it. Other rims may not have enough room along side the stem to clear the sensor and still allow the stem to seal.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Rob22315
TPMS compatibility has nothing to do with the valve stem. There's an o-ring on the body of the sensor that has to mate up with a flat area around the hole where the stem passes through the rim. Collegehillshonda has a video where they put the sensors on 07 HPF rims as a lark. I personally wouldn't trust it. Other rims may not have enough room along side the stem to clear the sensor and still allow the stem to seal.
I busted tires for 14 months before I became a service writer I am more than aware of how a TPMS sensor seals and works, I have mounted many many many stock sensors on aftermarket wheels. I am aware sometimes it will not fit but more often that not it will.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
You guys all have TPMS!! The hell? I thought only JDM Fit's were equipped.

Look like yet another thing the Canadian Fit has been stripped of even though we pay thousands more for our version.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
I busted tires for 14 months before I became a service writer I am more than aware of how a TPMS sensor seals and works, I have mounted many many many stock sensors on aftermarket wheels. I am aware sometimes it will not fit but more often that not it will.
And if they don't fit there are kits to install the sensors on banded brackets like the Ford vehicles have......

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i was thinking about placing a scanguage2 over it...

Old 07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the write up. I have a set of wheels for my wife's Fit, but plan on keeping the stock wheels for trips. I'll do the black tape trick if the TPMS light bothers her.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
+ rep, awesome post. thanks Mike

sugarphreak - TMPS came on '08 Fits, but not '07. I don't know about in Canada.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:50 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
sugarphreak - TMPS came on '08 Fits, but not '07. I don't know about in Canada.
TPMS is legally mandated on all new cars sold in the US after September 1, 2007.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone know if the TPMS is hooked up to any other system? I woldnt want the ABS system to be "disabled" or something because the car "thinks" that the tires are all flat. I hope it's just a dummy light.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by D50boy
Anyone know if the TPMS is hooked up to any other system? I woldnt want the ABS system to be "disabled" or something because the car "thinks" that the tires are all flat. I hope it's just a dummy light.

If it is its not showing up on my Fit. Haven't had TPMS on my tires since January.

Quick Reply: Quick easy TPMS Light Eliminator DIY!!!