Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

can I get higher on T1R coilovers????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
can I get higher on T1R coilovers????

it was my 1st time ever messing with the suspension of any car. Saturday my buddy messed up and let the axle pop off and had no clue how to put it back in. luckily after some forum advice I got it in. Sunday 3 hours trying to adjust them (coil height and shock height) on 1 side. Then yesterday was a quick 1 1/2 hours to do the right side. see my gansta lean at 1st.

anyways it's not very good pics but I wanted to know what you guys think. I tried to raise it as high as possible on the spring perches because my wife will be driving the car. it's like a 1 finger gap or a little less.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
why would you put coilovers on it if you want it higher? coilovers automaticly lower it

Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
i wanted it lowered but not so aggressive.

Originally Posted by gimme
why would you put coilovers on it if you want it higher? coilovers automaticly lower it

Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
To avoid going deep into technicalities - car is like a 4 leg chair. If they are not equol in lenght, chair will be unstable - so the car. Go to good garage (with a scales) where they can adjust the hight and balance the corner weight of your car - for that are coilovers. If you wanted only to lower your car , springs would do for much less money.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Question I'm still trying to fine tune my T1R's

Did you get an instruction manual with your coilovers? I know I didn't so I'm still clueless as to which dampening settings to use for regular street driving.

I do know that 4 = softest and 1 = hardest and currently on my car the front is set to 4 and the rears 3.

Should it be even all around? Should it be harder up front and softer in the rear or should it be softer up front and harder in the rear?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
no instructions. I called them for a few things which AJ answered promptly. I still have more question cause I have the front springs creaking. I got this info yesterday so it helps a little bit more. btw I have no clue which way is considered 1 or 4. i'm trying to see if i can find a notch or something as a reference point.

Front suspension:
1. Remove stock suspension system (Please take extra care with front knuckle . The knuckle will drop and pull out the driveshaft joint if not secured in place first)
2. Tighten 19mm nut on top of T1R suspension
3. Remove large black bushing on top of stock upper mount and install on top of blue T1R upper mount. (Basically clips on)
4. Install T1R suspension like regular suspension. Make sure to place factory upper piece (in engine bay) back on using factory nut.
5. Install endlinks provided with T1R suspension for the sway bar. The endlinks should be adjusted to the perfect length so they are not stretched either way.
6. To adjust height, make sure the spring is pushed all the way to the top with no preload (spring is snug but still spins freely). Loosen the bottom shock length adjustment locking ring and lengthen or shorten the whole shock to adjust height. Shorter shock = lower and vice versa.

Rear suspension (pictures included for clarity):

1. Remove stock shock and replace with T1R shock.
2. Remove stock spring
3. Install spring perch “sandwich” and spring according to the pictures.
4. Make sure everything is tight.
5. To adjust height, both the spring height and shock length must be adjusted. Moving spring down will lower the car and shock must be shortened to seat the spring back to the top. Moving spring up will raise the car, shock must be lengthened to take away too much preload. Slight preload is ok on the rear springs.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
oh so guys. are the lowered fits lower than in my pics or higher?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
on my T1R's there was a small white dot on the tube so you knew which setting you were on, it rubs off fairly easily and can be hidden by the bolt when you install it.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by gimme

Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
And the front Strut Dust boots both sides severed themselves in half and ae now hanging out in the strut assembly......... They are sending new dust boots, but that doesn't FIX the problem..... Will it happen again after 5000 miles.......

Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
You have your car higher than I got mine.

I sprayed everything with silicone and the squeaking stopped for a little while but the coilovers are squeaking badly again and need more silicone.

I found that the dampening adjustments are very sensitive. A little turn makes a BIg difference. I have also found that mine need to be readjusted fairly often.

When I have the coilovers dialed in they are wonderful, but that doesn't last very long.

I wish I saved the money and left the stock struts and springs on the car. An expensive lesson.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dave92029

When I have the coilovers dialed in they are wonderful, but that doesn't last very long.
I don't understand that statement.

Unless you're doing something wrong, once the setting is achieved it is pretty much set until you adjust it again. My settings/adjustments are the same since the day "gettinafit" installed the T1R's on my car a couple of months/a couple thousand miles ago.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
i got the front squeak fixed. you have to take apart the top and put bearing grease all over it. It looks exactly like a spindle.

this set up i think was much more a track friendly set up than anything.

Originally Posted by dave92029
You have your car higher than I got mine.

I sprayed everything with silicone and the squeaking stopped for a little while but the coilovers are squeaking badly again and need more silicone.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
detaining to the same thread. im having problem with front coilovers. the oem parts to use... what order a illistration.? im new at suspention

WHEN LOWERING DO YOU LOWER FROM SRING PERCH OR THE BASE PERCH. ideally so that you dont loose spring rate. from the perch but i want to be sure. and how far up to set spring perch from base???
thanks guy