Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Tanabe GF122 vs Skunk2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Tanabe GF122 vs Skunk2

Anyone know what the difference is between these 2 companies and their springs?

I noticed that the drops are about spec'd to be the same at 1.5/1.0...

I am looking for a sublte drop but I do not want a harsh ride... anyone know which is best for this application? Is there a different spring that I should be considering? Tein? Eibach? Sportline? Megan? Zenn?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
I've heared complaints about the harsh ride people have using the Skunk2 springs because they are not progressive. The GF210's on the other hand are progressive and so I'm assuming have a smoother ride. I have not tried any of the two, but am just basing my assumptions on what I've read and heared from others who have either the Skunk2's or the GF210's so I could be wrong.
I've heared only good about Tanabe, so between the two I'd go with them. I've also heard many things about the Eibach sport lines and I myself have T1R's that I'm happy with. The ride is a Bit stiffer, but nothing craazy.

hope this helps...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
I jus got my skunk2 springs installed yesterday and I like them. they're not bad of a ride. I love the feel of them, idk if u want a sporty feel or not? I was used to a stiff and sturdy suspension on my s2000 so I love how these feel

Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Thumbs up

i've actually heard nuthing but good things from people that got the GF210s. Skunks on the other hand..i've heard mix feelings from owners. My only experience is my friends GF210's. I've been in the car with him driving..actually feel pretty nice. its got that smooth ride with that nice sporty feel to it. good times..lol.

anyways, i'd go with the GF210's. IMO..

Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 PM
So is everyone just running factory struts with their upgraded springs?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by pingpop
So is everyone just running factory struts with their upgraded springs?
Yes because there aren't many aftermarket shocks available for the Fit yet.

Skunk2 is notorious for high springrates on their springs and sleeve type coilovers, i would expect a much stiffer ride if you went with skunk2. But some people like it like that so all i can say is ride in a couple of cars that have different lowering spring setups and find the one you like best.

As far as the GF210's go, I haven't heard of a complaint yet.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
I've heared complaints about the harsh ride people have using the Skunk2 springs because they are not progressive. The GF210's on the other hand are progressive and so I'm assuming have a smoother ride. I have not tried any of the two, but am just basing my assumptions on what I've read and heared from others who have either the Skunk2's or the GF210's so I could be wrong.
I've heared only good about Tanabe, so between the two I'd go with them. I've also heard many things about the Eibach sport lines and I myself have T1R's that I'm happy with. The ride is a Bit stiffer, but nothing craazy.

hope this helps...
what size are your rims? Thats a great drop.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1RMDave
what size are your rims? Thats a great drop.
15x6.5 with 205/50 Azenis. i'm not too happy with the drop in the rear though.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Tanabes for sure! i've got them, and i love them

Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Why cuz it sits to high in the rear?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
15x6.5 with 205/50 Azenis. i'm not too happy with the drop in the rear though.
Why cuz it sits to high in the rear or too low?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ride_the_pony69
Why cuz it sits to high in the rear or too low?
It rides too high (Both Version 1's and 2's) . I've seen the Eibach Pro kit in person on another member's Fit and the drop looks great all around, and he's riding on stock wheels. The ride on the Eibach's are also less stiff then my T1R's.

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 05-28-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 PM
yeah i've heard nothing but good things also from that people that own tanabe never rode on the skunks but from what I remember from my friends that had civics they were a bit harsh.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned
While I am biased about the Skunk2's, see sig, I have personally had BOTH sets of springs on my car.

I started with the Tanabe GF210's. Then I moved to the Skunk2's. To give an unbiased review of the ride quality and characteristics, well, both are great quality. The finish on both are great. The fit (no pun intended), well, the Skunks had the advantage but it is nothing life shattering. The top hats that the springs fit into on the front struts, the Tanabe's had a little harder time going into. Maybe too much powdercoat, maybe a burr on the edge, but whatever the case, the Skunk2's slid right in.

The ride: The ride for BOTH were great. I am not too sure what the "progressive rate" means which for that, I apologize. But neither one is too harsh for daily driving. The Tanabe's I have to say, while the numbers say otherwise, the drop seems a little lower. I get more front lip scraping with those springs and haven't noticed it as much with the S2's. Handling for both is great. Both offer little to no body roll and the difference is so small that it shouldn't be a determining factor.

The drop: Well the drop looks great on both. I think you will have more of a manageable tire/rim combo with the S2's due to the slightly less drop. I know the numbers say one thing, but look for some of my posts and you will see the drop pictures with both sets of springs. Either set, the drop is great.

I would say go with the Skunk2's! he he he... But you will find yourself happy with either one in terms of appearance and drivability. And there is a post about the S2's and then say's "These blow your struts"...Unfortunately, your struts.shocks will go with any aftermarket spring over time unless the strusts and springs are matched for the combo together. When I say TIME...I mean TIME. I have had springs on other cars that have lasted years...And coilovers that have lasted years...In time, things go and you determine a lot of that with your driving style. Good luck in your decision...

Kris

Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
thanks kris...but I dont know if your post was helpful for me to decide on which one to go now! DAMN!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned
I tried to help!

It comes down to brand preference. The ride is a little softer on the Skunks and of course I will say get the Skunk's..But they are both great as I am not one for bashing anyone/anything especially when the Tanabe's were a good setup for me originally. Good luck.

Kris